Lt. Commander
I am unsure how to read the narrative in the combat channel which describes damage, weapons use, powers, etc. I had read some explanation on the 'syntax' or whatever to make sense of it, but now I can't find it. Does anyone know where its posted? For example, here is a brief excerpt of a recent combat narrative:
173 (132) shield damage was dealt to Joe's Personal Shields while shielding Joe.
Tony deals 127 (340) Plasma Damage to Joe with an unknown ability.
36 (13) shield damage was dealt to your Personal Shields.
Angelo deals 1 (40) Phaser Damage to you with Beam Burst.
You are under attack!
36 (26) shield damage was dealt to your Personal Shields.
Angelo deals 3 (40) Phaser Damage to you with Beam Burst.
35 (25) shield damage was dealt to your Personal Shields.

So, what happened?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_724
I am unsure how to read the narrative in the combat channel which describes damage, weapons use, powers, etc. I had read some explanation on the 'syntax' or whatever to make sense of it, but now I can't find it. Does anyone know where its posted? For example, here is a brief excerpt of a recent combat narrative:
173 (132) shield damage was dealt to Joe's Personal Shields while shielding Joe.
Tony deals 127 (340) Plasma Damage to Joe with an unknown ability.
36 (13) shield damage was dealt to your Personal Shields.
Angelo deals 1 (40) Phaser Damage to you with Beam Burst.
You are under attack!
36 (26) shield damage was dealt to your Personal Shields.
Angelo deals 3 (40) Phaser Damage to you with Beam Burst.
35 (25) shield damage was dealt to your Personal Shields.

So, what happened?
I remember reading it on "The Engines Cannae' Take It!" site ..

Edit: Found it on this page under "Understanding Damage Reports": http://theenginescannaetakeit.wordpr...pons-overview/

Quote:
For each of your attacks, youíll normally see something like:

<target> absorbs X (Y) damage to <target> with
Shield Array-<facing>

Your <weapon> deals A (B) <damage type> damage to <target>

X is how much damage your attack did to the targetís shields.

Y is how much damage would have been done to the hull if it hadnít been applied to the shields.

A is how much damage your attack did to the targetís hull.

B is the total damage your attack did

The first line, with the X and Y numbers, is only shown when the target had an active shield up at the time of the attack. Y is only shown if the targetís shield or hull was resistant to the damage you did, and B is only shown when the target had an active shield at the time of the attack and/or the targetís hull was resistant to the damage you did.

For example, if you saw:

Bird-of-Prey absorbs 180 (162) damage to Bird-of-Prey with
Shield Array-Front

Your Phaser Array deals 18 (200) Phaser damage to Bird-of-Prey

This means that your phaser array hit the front shield facing of a Bird of Prey for 200 damage (B). 180 of the damage was applied to the shield (X) and would have caused 162 damage to the hull (Y), so the Bird of Prey has a 10% hull resistance to Phaser damage (Y/X = 0.9). The hull of the Bird of Prey took 18 damage (A), which means that the Bird of Preyís shield has a 10% bleedthrough (20 damage bled through the shield and was reduced to 18 by the 10% resistance).
Lt. Commander
# 3 Thanks!
07-21-2011, 12:04 AM
This is what I was looking for. I had found this info on "sparsing" the combat log, but that did not help. In fact, the "sparsing the combat log" seems to be some kind of summary of dps, heals, and other data per player. I suppose this is another perspective on the combat action.

The The Engines Cannae' Take It! guide is great.