Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
While I'm repeating my notion that it's nice they give older ships some representation, it's annoying me to high heaven that their additions are coming at the expense of new ships.

This game is supposed to be set in 2409.

NX Class: 260 years old
Constitution: 170 years old
Excelsior: 130 years old
Ambassador: 80 years old

And yes, even my beloved Sovereign can be piled on to the heap at 40 years old. (2370)

Honestly... Yes, everyone has their favourite ship, but why the heck are we still dordling in the 24th (and 23rd!!) century, when this entire game is screaming to move forward in to the 25th?

I'd personally love to see Cryptic make new classes as a matter of priority (and do them well, for pete's sake) with any spare time being given over to the Warhorses.
Because MMO developers seem inept at moving the game time line forward. I'm not attacking STO (directly) but many others are guilty of it as well. And even then what is offered as sustenance for the game is mere tripe. We get "skins" when we need ships. for example.
Lt. Commander
# 42
07-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
A lot of the older designs are meant to cater to an older generation of fans who prefer the classical looks to these new super-streamlined cruisers or awkward angular ships that look like crap was just tacked on with no purpose.

Personally I think all the CM level Cruisers look like crap, so I went with Excelsior... which is the sleekest of the "classic" ships. I look at a lot of these alternative designs and my mind goes "What were these people thinking?" The designers did an awesome job modernizing the Constitution class with Vesper and Excalibur. Why did the "modernizations" of the other classes go so wrong?
Agree with this, the tier 3 cruisers are awful along with the Star Cruisers, they all look like something out the Phantom Menace Star Wars movie. Some of the upper tier science vessels are also pretty odd looking.
Lt. Commander
# 43
07-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaShuk2381
Agree with this, the tier 3 cruisers are awful along with the Star Cruisers, they all look like something out the Phantom Menace Star Wars movie. Some of the upper tier science vessels are also pretty odd looking.
The Star Cruiser designs do look very organic and don't really fit in with other designs. Of course why they had to go and make something bigger than the Sovereign when there is absolutely no canon supporting that I have no idea. If the Enterprise is supposed to represent Starfleet's flagship it doesn't make sense to have something even larger available. One thing I always liked about ST ships as opposed to SW ships is that they were smaller, sleeker, faster. But now we're getting massive cruisers nearly a kilometer long belching Scorpion Fighters... I'm looking for a Death Star to pop up next. Oh, wait, they brought back the Planet Killer and we've gotta fly straight at it and fire torpedoes down its throat to kill it. Use the force Luke!

Sometimes I have to wonder if they even have Trekkies designing these ships at all.
Lt. Commander
# 44
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
I happen to agree with that. The star cruiser looks very voyager like but they did something to it. They could use a trekkie ship designer doing the ship designs.
Lt. Commander
# 45
07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
The Star Cruiser designs do look very organic and don't really fit in with other designs. Of course why they had to go and make something bigger than the Sovereign when there is absolutely no canon supporting that I have no idea. If the Enterprise is supposed to represent Starfleet's flagship it doesn't make sense to have something even larger available. One thing I always liked about ST ships as opposed to SW ships is that they were smaller, sleeker, faster. But now we're getting massive cruisers nearly a kilometer long belching Scorpion Fighters... I'm looking for a Death Star to pop up next. Oh, wait, they brought back the Planet Killer and we've gotta fly straight at it and fire torpedoes down its throat to kill it. Use the force Luke!

Sometimes I have to wonder if they even have Trekkies designing these ships at all.
You can blame paramount and JJ Abrams for the direction change, actually.

They stated, unapologetically, in the behind the scenes of STXI... I quote:

"How do we make Star Trek more like Star Wars?"

...Why? Because Trek or not, to the general audience of today's media-consuming world, had become stale, stagnant and uninteresting. That's why things got shinier, bigger and more action-oriented.
Lt. Commander
# 46
07-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Exactly right. I wish they would get one of those old trekkie ship designers from the shows and movies not involved with the current line to do the ships for this game. it would be interesting and refreshing.
Lt. Commander
# 47
07-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaShuk2381
If they do bring this ship in it will hopefully be at T3 for Cruisers as just a normal ship, no silly special abilities or any reason to make players have to pay extra energy credits to get if it fhey want it instead of one of those god awful 4 nacelled monsters. Would like to see them add this with the Excelsior, but make it so that your ship token works on the Excelsior. Take away the Transwarp function and the extra BO and consoles for the normal Excelsior and let the players use it for free, C-store is making plenty of money on the retrofit T5 version as is. There is no way that players should have to pony up 50,000+ energy credits for wanting to fly a ship that doesn't look like a giant POS at the Cmdr level.

Put the Excelsior in as normal T3 along with the Ambassador and then leave one of the 4 nacelled cruisers with the 3 skins so any of the people who actually like those ships can still use them. That way you can fly the "Enterprise" at each tier level.
if there's a tier 5 version and its a skin for the excelsior, just leave all the transwarp stuff, and leave it alone.
Lt. Commander
# 48
07-21-2011, 03:03 AM
The Excelsior was indeed the great transwarp experiment so keep all the transwarp options, you get most of them when you reach ambassador anyway. They whine too much. I wouldn't mind a Ambassador refit for UA or VA's but still there needs to be a way to get it without spending 500 marks of exploration maybe a reward for reaching Ambassador rank. That way it is limited maybe under both criteria.