Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 531
07-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm having more than my share of troubles with it. I can't install windows 7 on the drive for some reason, still researching that problem. I saw a little lag today but I think it was all server. Normally with the SSD my bridge officers come right up but today they were a little slow. I have to wait for the server to come back up now.

Back on topic, the studder is at least 90% gone at all times. Usually, before I bought the 1TB hard drive and installed Windows 7, if there were more than 1 or 2 Player ships on a battle near me I would have massive studder. It went away comepletely when when I installed those. But as I populated the drive the studder came back but never to the levels it was before. Then with the SSD it's mostly gone.

I will continue researching installing Windows 7 on the SSD. What's happening there is Windows 7 says it cannot use the partition or do anything else to the partition. Last night I deleted the partition and started over with a blank drive and it basically said the same thing. I don't have AHCI in my bios and I'm suspecting that could be the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 532
07-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Finally, I figured out how to get Windoz 7 on the SSD. I had to format the drive with the existing Windoz 7 which I had already done, BUT I also had to set the partition to ACTIVE. That did the trick. The windoz installed itself in under 20 minutes.

The I did a clean STO install and got all the updates done on both STO and Windoz 7.

This was all completed last night and I played one or two defete enemy contacts in Alpha Century. Never had any studder of any kind. It's also fun to see windoz fully running in under 20 seconds from the time I push the power button.

Then today I played all day doing anything I could think of to come up with studder. No problems found. I even did a PvP and went to ESD. No problems.

Then my wife and I rode up to Casper Wyo to buy a bunch of those battle hamsters. They were on sale at Target for $1.25. We bought them all to send to my sisters kids. There were about 50. Such fun, Payback for her being mean to me all the time when we were kids.

We got home about 9pm and I stareted playing again. Everything was still working great...

Low and behold what do I see come up in itty bitty letters at the bottom of the screen....

"Detected Studdery Frame Rate, Enabling Frame Rate Stableizer."

And guess what happened after that. I'm right back where I started, studder city!!!!

Cryptic, I know your trying to help, but backwards isn't good. Rather than initiating something like that automatically, ASK!

Anyhow, this happened right in the middle of battle. I just found a quiet spot and reset the program to defaults. It seemed to have gone away again.

We'll see how it does tomorrow. Night all.
Lt. Commander
# 533
07-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake81499 View Post
I played one or two defete enemy contacts in Alpha Century. Never had any studder of any kind. It's also fun to see windoz fully running in under 20 seconds from the time I push the power button.

Then today I played all day doing anything I could think of to come up with studder. No problems found. I even did a PvP and went to ESD. No problems.
*Starts shopping NewEgg for a SSD.* LOL

I was eyeballing a 80gig drive just for the OS, STO and CO. Do any of the tech gurus here think that would be enough storage?
Lt. Commander
# 534
07-19-2011, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piwright42 View Post
*Starts shopping NewEgg for a SSD.* LOL

I was eyeballing a 80gig drive just for the OS, STO and CO. Do any of the tech gurus here think that would be enough storage?
I have a pair of 40s running in raid0 with about 36 gigs free. Thats with win7 / STO / Rift. Personally with the price drops I'd just go for a 120g now. Keep your mechanical drives around for media storage / non speed critical programs.
Lt. Commander
# 535
07-19-2011, 03:54 AM
What I've read is Yes. For STO and the OS + Live Mail and the virus program I still have 1/2 the drive free. I'm leaving pictures, music and the other programs on the 1TB drive. Mine is the 64 gig, not the 80.
Lt. Commander
@SuperCrypticDave-

I love both these games, and have been playing both since they came out - but I have always had a problem with my system (Alienware M17x-R2) which has two ATI 4970m's getting hitching. In CO, it's just a PITA around the Ren Cen, but in STO, on ground missions particularly, its fine for a time, then the hitching goes mad according to fpsgraph and my frame rate drops to less than one card and never returns - CO, it never does this *ever*. I've waited patiently for some kind of fix to emerge but it never seems to.... do you have a stable Crossfire setup working? Ironically, when I bought my laptop STO was the signature game all over the Alienware site. Disabling Crossfire and running one card runs fine, but I take about 50% drop in FPS, OR running with Crossfire but turning off post-processing which frankly looks like crap in comparison, and I have toyed with numbers of lights, etc, to no avail. Obviously, this is not preferable. Any advice greatly appreciated, and as an LTS on both game I am happy to run and give an diagnostics you might want.

I'm currently on DX11, 11.3 reference drivers, and running Windows 7 Home Premium FWIW.
Lt. Commander
# 537
07-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
I have a pair of 40s running in raid0 with about 36 gigs free. Thats with win7 / STO / Rift. Personally with the price drops I'd just go for a 120g now. Keep your mechanical drives around for media storage / non speed critical programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake81499 View Post
What I've read is Yes. For STO and the OS + Live Mail and the virus program I still have 1/2 the drive free. I'm leaving pictures, music and the other programs on the 1TB drive. Mine is the 64 gig, not the 80.
Thank you and thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 538
07-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Just a follow up on the SSD, typing in the dark again.

I DO get just a little stutter in PvP when there are a lot of players in close proximity. It goes away when I drop the video quality down a notch. I'm going to attribute this to a slow computer, not the video card or lag or anything else. When I run the windoz 7 system performance check thing my cpu shows a 4.6, memory 5.2, graphics 6.2, gaming graphics 7.0 and hard drive 7.4. So as someone mentioned before, the basic computer is dragging me down. No biggy, the game works good now.

Enuff for now. Going to try getting it running again on my netbook next.