Lt. Commander
# 11
07-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
i think he does, and add the reman shields, borg console, aegis deflector and borg engins and you'll just be a ball of multi colored light with fire at will.

it's a nice idea but combat is too quick for it to be worth it
Tihihihi!

I just imagined a flying Disco globe in space.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
Has more to do with an incredibly ineffecient engine pulling a LOT more resources then it should. Rather then the hardware itself.
Oh. Anyway it's not really a big deal to me. Just hope to see it in someday.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I also think the animation (given the amount of times beams can fire) would increase your video card load dramatically (STO runs most cards pretty hot already ).
Hardly. Simple texture and particle effects just aren't that resource heavy anymore.
In fact charging strip animations were already achieved and pulled off without a hitch about a "decade" ago.

To bring a modern graphics card to its knees you would need to throw in really advanced stuff like Parallax occlusion mapping and hardware tesselation.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Hardly. Simple texture and particle effects just aren't that resource heavy anymore.
In fact charging strip animations were already achieved and pulled off without a hitch about a "decade" ago.

To bring a modern graphics card to its knees you would need to throw in really advanced stuff like Parallax occlusion mapping and hardware tesselation.
Like was said previously in this thread, Cryptics engine is completly inefficient. There are hundreds of titles that could do it without a single hitch, Cryptics engine would draw a huge percentage increase on it's already somehow-resource heavy demands.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltrekie View Post
Like was said previously in this thread, Cryptics engine is completly inefficient. There are hundreds of titles that could do it without a single hitch, Cryptics engine would draw a huge percentage increase on it's already somehow-resource heavy demands.
You have intimate knowledge of how their engine works? Because it seems pretty scale-able and efficient to me. I run it at max without a sweat and my computer is two years old and not even top of the line at the time. I think you are over stating how much resources this idea will take.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
You have intimate knowledge of how their engine works? Because it seems pretty scale-able and efficient to me. I run it at max without a sweat and my computer is two years old and not even top of the line at the time. I think you are over stating how much resources this idea will take.
It's not hard to see how inefficient the engine is. Take a game with similar 'effects and generic demands' and compare heat, resource, and variable other measures and you'll see there is an extremely large 'draw' on resources then any other comparable product. This is due to the engine not being able to scale and render well(IE: being extremely inefficient). You don't have to know how the engine is coded or 'works' to know if it's doing something well or not. I can drive a car and tell if it's running the best it can or not without knowing the compression ratio of the motor.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Actually you do need to know how its coded to tell if its efficient. If you dont know the code behind it, all you are doing is guessing based on limited information.