Lt. Commander
# 621
07-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiejamieelliot1987
if you feel that way don't use it.
I also won't be using the actual content they could have added either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
I don't think so. It adds a new meta-game which is itself geared for "end game" play.
There is no endgame without content. Why do I need duty officers to do B'Tran for the 283rd time?
Lt. Commander
# 622
07-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
I don't think so. It adds a new meta-game which is itself geared for "end game" play.
It's like constantly adding more 'gear' is useless. There's no point in mechanics to boost how 'effective' you are - if you are still doing the exact same missions.
Lt. Commander
# 623
07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
There is no endgame without content. Why do I need duty officers to do B'Tran for the 283rd time?
There is Duty Officer based content in B'Tran so you have your regular missions and assignments that can be done only in B'Tran like helping to set up a colony in B'Tran. It is universal content not endgame content.
Lt. Commander
# 624
07-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
This system sounds like an incredible waste of development time in an MMO which has seen no endgame content in over a year.
So what you're saying is, you don't think this new content is content.

Mmhmm.
Lt. Commander
# 625
07-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Whether or not one considers assignments content will, I think, depend on how you define content.

If you define content as missions where you manipulate your ship or captain, then no, the system does not provide more of what you will recognize as content.

If you define content as things you can do, that is, gameplay that provides choices and consequences, then yes, the system does provide new content.

Some players will, I think, like the micromanagement, some will like the collectibility component, some will like it for the immersion, some will like it simply for the concrete material rewards the system provides. Not everybody will absolutely love the gameplay it will be providing; that's fine. We don't expect every player to do Diplomacy, or every player to do PvP (or PvE, for that matter), or save the planet missions, or dabo. The intent of the system is ultimately to provide a significant percentage of the player base with additional gameplay that can be engaged with at any level including cap.

The single biggest reason for the amount of transparency in previewing the system has been to avoid overhyping it, to give the players as accurate a perception as possible as to what it is. The benefit of this to us is obvious - it gives us greater development insight as to what players want/like/don't like. We expressly aren't trying to overhype it; we're telling you as much as we can precisely to avoid inflating expectations beyond what we are actually delivering.

I hope a lot of you guys enjoy the system and enjoy it over the long haul at whatever level of intensity is right for you. If that happens, then I will rest satisfied that we have done what we set out to accomplish.
Lt. Commander
# 626
07-30-2011, 10:44 PM
So are the assignments like Choose your own adventure novels where the choices you make change the dialog on the screen and the assignments are completely text based?

Also it would be nice that the various commendation categories have their own missions that we can do that are just like the Diplomatic missions at Bajor, Vulcan, and Memory Alpha. The minor assignments should be left to the duty officers while the major assignments should be left to the captain. My Captain or my Chief Medical Officer should get credit for saving an alien race from a nasty disease not one of my duty officers.
Lt. Commander
# 627
07-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
So are the assignments like Choose your own adventure novels where the choices you make change the dialog on the screen and the assignments are completely text based?

Also it would be nice that the various commendation categories have their own missions that we can do that are just like the Diplomatic missions at Bajor, Vulcan, and Memory Alpha. The minor assignments should be left to the duty officers while the major assignments should be left to the captain. My Captain or my Chief Medical Officer should get credit for saving an alien race from a nasty disease not one of my duty officers.
Personally, I think credit for discovering the cure to an alien species' deadly disease should go to whoever actually discovered it and not their superior officer, even if said SO gets a mention; but that's a bit off-topic from the DOff system.

I'm very much looking forward to what the DOff system will have to offer, as well as the department head and first officer systems later on when they are released as well.
Lt. Commander
# 628
07-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post

Assignments are fundamentally logistical challenges, not story challenges. We're deliberately not trying to duplicate mission gameplay, but rather create something complementary. As captain you see various problems and opportunities in the form of assignments, each with a description, a set of requirements, a set of risks and a set of potential rewards. You have a limited number of resources, and a major goal can be to improve the resources you have to accomplish assignments.

As for missions focused on other commendation categories, as we roll out content the plan is to integrate the commendation xp into some number of these missions as we can.
Lt. Commander
# 629
07-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Assignments are fundamentally logistical challenges, not story challenges. We're deliberately not trying to duplicate mission gameplay, but rather create something complementary. As captain you see various problems and opportunities in the form of assignments, each with a description, a set of requirements, a set of risks and a set of potential rewards. You have a limited number of resources, and a major goal can be to improve the resources you have to accomplish assignments.
So, we're playing a metaphor for game development? :p

I'm really excited to play this system. Here's hoping the tech hurdles are overcome.

Quote:
Some players will, I think, like the micromanagement, some will like the collectibility component, some will like it for the immersion, some will like it simply for the concrete material rewards the system provides. Not everybody will absolutely love the gameplay it will be providing; that's fine. We don't expect every player to do Diplomacy, or every player to do PvP (or PvE, for that matter), or save the planet missions, or dabo. The intent of the system is ultimately to provide a significant percentage of the player base with additional gameplay that can be engaged with at any level including cap.

The single biggest reason for the amount of transparency in previewing the system has been to avoid overhyping it, to give the players as accurate a perception as possible as to what it is. The benefit of this to us is obvious - it gives us greater development insight as to what players want/like/don't like. We expressly aren't trying to overhype it; we're telling you as much as we can precisely to avoid inflating expectations beyond what we are actually delivering.
It seems like it addresses a number of gameplay types--from those that like to explore and unlock things to those that want to min-max their crew to completionists, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 630
07-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Will this hit Tribble Early, Mid or Late August?