Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
just wondering, i know you can get a good cruiser setup with single cannons, but whats best for the Gal-X, i just tried with duals in the front and didnt do very well, seemed to lose my front shields before i did alot of damage and had to turn away and couldnt use that front end burst

Should i practice more and stick with duals and fly it like an escort? Or use single cannons and fly it like a cruiser?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-30-2011, 03:09 PM
try dual heavys, you might get a bit more burst damage before you have to break off. The higher DPS of the DCs won't help you much here because of the poor maneuverability, but the DHCs have a high enough burst damage that they work better for an alpha-strike weapon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Yah, without mechanical aid it's just as hard keeping an enemy in your front 90 as your front 45. So if you use cannons, you might aswell use Dual Heavies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-31-2011, 08:07 AM
so its better to fly it kinda like an escort with a good alpha?

The reason i ask is that im currently flying an T3 Excelsior with single cannons and turrets and this seems to work very well and i wondered if that loadout would be better with the Gal-X to take advantage of the larger firing arc of the single cannons to compensate for the turning of the Gal-X.

it just seems with a full on frontal assault ship you need to be able to turn quickly to save shields and bring your front to bear quickly, the cruisers dont seem to do enough damage with duals before their front shields are toast then they are taking hull damage
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Do not build a gx build that relies on cannons. it wont work.


Rather try this: 4 arrays aft, 2 front, 2 dual heavy front.


It will give you decent firepower to the rear, where you will find your targets A LOT since the gx is a pig.
Together with the 2 front arrays you get a standard 6 array broadside.

And then ,when yo uactually have the privilige of targeting something in front of you, you get to use your 2 dual heavys. They are very nice to use, they almost equal, together with the arrays, a 6 array broadside thats targeted right in front of you.

They have a good impact on hull as well as on shields. Combined with attack pattern beta or delta you will get some good mileage out of this setup.

Please avoid taking up rapid fire 1. it does not really do add much to begin with and you simply do not get to use it that often. it takes up a valuable utility slot on your ship.


If you use Pattern beta and FAW, you basically increase your own damage and serve your team by mass applying the debuff.

If you use delta, you can aid your own defenses as well as your teams..

another plus:

since you will not skill a torpedo, you save considerable amounts of sp here.


how about putting those in ground skills?




But the fact remains: there is not one dual cannon build for the gx that actually works well.
You can go to quite some loops to make it workable, yes, but then we have to ask:

Whats the point? you're still not wildly out damaging the array cruisers and you just wasted considerable resources (console slots, boff powers, power allocation) that could have helped your team. And yourself.

Simply use the dual heavys for what they are good for: replacing torpedoes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugster View Post
just wondering, i know you can get a good cruiser setup with single cannons, but whats best for the Gal-X, i just tried with duals in the front and didnt do very well, seemed to lose my front shields before i did alot of damage and had to turn away and couldnt use that front end burst

Should i practice more and stick with duals and fly it like an escort? Or use single cannons and fly it like a cruiser?
DHCs for the Galaxy-X work in PvE, I wouldn't recommend relying on it in PvP, though. Single Cannons won' really make your experience more cruiser-like - Cruisers rely on broadsiding, with means you're using a wide arc directed to targets on starboard or port side. Cannons only have a small overlap in that arc with beams.

To help the issues you experienced and stay with DHCs:

1) Speed Management is important. You need to stop occassionally and even turn backwards to keep a ship in your firing arc. You don't really want to turn much, as the Galaxy-X turns badly.
- Emergency Power to Engines, Auxillary to Dampeners and Evasive Maneuvers, Engine Batties and the Deuterium Burn Fuel Cells attainable in the Alhena Daily are useful here.

2) If your front shields are going down to quick, there are 3 things you can look into:
- Distribute Shield Power. Use this early and often.
- Tactical Team: Like the above, but on steroids, and always to the direction that is hurting.
- Emergency Power to Shields. You should really have two of these. The shield resistance they grant is significant and will extend your shield's lifetime considerably.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
Do not build a gx build that relies on cannons. it wont work.


Rather try this: 4 arrays aft, 2 front, 2 dual heavy front.


It will give you decent firepower to the rear, where you will find your targets A LOT since the gx is a pig.
Together with the 2 front arrays you get a standard 6 array broadside.

And then ,when yo uactually have the privilige of targeting something in front of you, you get to use your 2 dual heavys. They are very nice to use, they almost equal, together with the arrays, a 6 array broadside thats targeted right in front of you.

They have a good impact on hull as well as on shields. Combined with attack pattern beta or delta you will get some good mileage out of this setup.

Please avoid taking up rapid fire 1. it does not really do add much to begin with and you simply do not get to use it that often. it takes up a valuable utility slot on your ship.


If you use Pattern beta and FAW, you basically increase your own damage and serve your team by mass applying the debuff.

If you use delta, you can aid your own defenses as well as your teams..

another plus:

since you will not skill a torpedo, you save considerable amounts of sp here.


how about putting those in ground skills?




But the fact remains: there is not one dual cannon build for the gx that actually works well.
You can go to quite some loops to make it workable, yes, but then we have to ask:

Whats the point? you're still not wildly out damaging the array cruisers and you just wasted considerable resources (console slots, boff powers, power allocation) that could have helped your team. And yourself.

Simply use the dual heavys for what they are good for: replacing torpedoes.

This is pretty similar to what I run, except I run a Quantum launcher aft with High Yield II(haven't been lucky enough to get III) and 3 arrays. Use the DHC's to soften sheilds for a lance shot in the opening stages of combat, than I normally find myself having to use broadside and rear torps for much of the remainder, getting lucky now and then when they float back in front of me, can finish them off with the DHCs or another lance shot.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I tested the Gal-X and maxed out everything towards maneuverability and turn rate so it could utilize DHC's... still though; it was not enough help to keep things in the forward arc...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breygorn View Post
I tested the Gal-X and maxed out everything towards maneuverability and turn rate so it could utilize DHC's... still though; it was not enough help to keep things in the forward arc...
wow there is a surprise....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
08-01-2011, 12:14 AM
The Galaxy X is just not nimble enough to mount DHCs effectively.

If you insisted on having them however, I'd suggest getting aux to dampers twice, as you can run it almost back to back and gain more turn. A Galaxy-X can pull off a very nice Alpha strike with DHCs, but once you've done that, there's not much else you can do except lumber around after other ships like a cow chasing a fox hoping they'll step into your sights.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:30 AM.