Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 141
07-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohort View Post
i'd probibly not be praising them, i'd be organising my DOffs and picking assignments rather than sitting on the forums
Touche. But you do get my point that if there were more meat in season 4, there'd be more praise for it.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 142
07-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
I'm posting because I want to post. Whine or not. You don't have to partake in it.

Have you not sensed the mood at the moment? Do you think I am the only one. Plenty of people are posting their own displeasure including lifetimers and some prominent champions of Cryptic in the past are also showing they are not happy.

If you are happy with things fine, either don't post about it or do, but allow those who are not happy to voice their displeasure leaving or not.

In the end my opening post was a direct repsonse to those who post they love STO and also say the Devs are doing a great job. Even one went as far as to apologise on behalf of those who voice their displeasure. I disagree with Cryptic and the way they are taking STO. This wasn't an I quit thread, it was an I am unhappy with Cryptic thread.

My other I quit threads are a different story all together.

Enjoy your game.
The thing abiout any MMO forums is - the posts are going to be more negative than positive. Why? If you like the game and don't have a problem, you're more likely to just play the game and not worry overmuch about the behind the scenes aspect (and this is 80% - 90% of ANY MMOs playerbase.)

The other 10-20% atre going to have various levels of actively, and read and post on the game forums ; but the ones who post more will be the ones who dislike one or more aspects and want to make the Devs aware of this (and this isn't a bad thing as the Devs do overall get directed feedback.)

Then you get bthe VERY SMALL group who feel absolutely slighted/cheated, or who are worriedanother MM0 they really like isn't doing so well; so they'll slant any negative aspect they can find and tout it as a major negative aspect; or look fopr ways to turrn any comment negative as to give the impression the game is in way worse shape then it is; or to try and get players to give the game they like a try, and 'dump' this 'failing game.'

But in the end, the people most likely to post most often are those who are dissatisfied or who have another agenda.

That's ANY MMO community you care toname, whether a game is launched, or still in development, but has boards open for people intrerested in the game to comment on. If anyone can provide a link to a game fourm that has more positive than negative post ratio, I'd love to see it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 143
07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
The thing abiout any MMO forums is - the posts are going to be more negative than positive. Why? If you like the game and don't have a problem, you're more likely to just play the game and not worry overmuch about the behind the scenes aspect (and this is 80% - 90% of ANY MMOs playerbase.)

The other 10-20% atre going to have various levels of actively, and read and post on the game forums ; but the ones who post more will be the ones who dislike one or more aspects and want to make the Devs aware of this (and this isn't a bad thing as the Devs do overall get directed feedback.)

Then you get bthe VERY SMALL group who feel absolutely slighted/cheated, or who are worriedanother MM0 they really like isn't doing so well; so they'll slant any negative aspect they can find and tout it as a major negative aspect; or look fopr ways to turrn any comment negative as to give the impression the game is in way worse shape then it is; or to try and get players to give the game they like a try, and 'dump' this 'failing game.'

But in the end, the people most likely to post most often are those who are dissatisfied or who have another agenda.

That's ANY MMO community you care toname, whether a game is launched, or still in development, but has boards open for people intrerested in the game to comment on. If anyone can provide a link to a game fourm that has more positive than negative post ratio, I'd love to see it.
Okay, I agree with some of what your saying.

You did miss out the other small group who blindly post about how much they love the game and accept everything they are told and try to shout down the negative posters by telling them to leave or quit and that the Devs are doing a great job. They also attack any negative comment about the "Failing game" with lots of smoke and mirrors and a blinkered view that everything is fine and how dare someone criticise their beloved IP...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 144
07-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Okay, I agree with some of what your saying.

You did miss out the other small group who blindly post about how much they love the game and accept everything they are told and try to shout down the negative posters by telling them to leave or quit and that the Devs are doing a great job. They also attack any negative comment about the "Failing game" with lots of smoke and mirrors and a blinkered view that everything is fine and how dare someone criticise their beloved IP...
I don't know which of the groups that I fall into that you have issues with, but I would so much rather have the little we do have and are able to enjoy than not have any ST IP MMO at all.

I understand and can appreciate better the need for the devs to focus their limited resource pool on improving what they can, how they can, when they can on their schedule. Basically they are working their combined butts off trying to give us a game to entertain and enjoy. Yes, we pay them and I feel that I am getting more bang for my buck because I do enjoy the "little" that "we" have available.

Perhaps it's because I work in IT. Perhaps it's because I'm a bit older than the average ST gamer and never developed the "gotta-have-it-right-damn-now" attitude. Perhaps it's because in my lifetime I've learned patience. Perhaps it's because I can better appreciate acquiring something slowly that I've worked on or waited for years for.

Programming new features for this game takes time. And it takes some sort of foundation to build on in order to provide those additional features. Season 4 is one of those foundations needed in order to build on. KDF didn't previously have access to the rest of the galaxy. Now they do. Now they can have missions written and developed to provide them an enormous amount of content that takes them across the galaxy. Any future factions will also have this available to them from day 1. Without the changes brought about with Season 4, that could not happen.

Coding some new uniforms to fit on a "paperdoll" or creating a new ship model is fairly "quick and easy" to do. It doesn't require numerous passes against the current game coding to ensure that it works properly. And it provides for something interesting to keep the attention of the players for a little while. As much as I hate to say it, it's like distracting the kids from continuing to ask "are we there yet" even as we continue to travel towards our destination.

I like what I pay for. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't be playing it or bothering to ever post on these forums. I would simply take my optional entertainment funds elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 145
07-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck

Perhaps it's because I work in IT. Perhaps it's because I'm a bit older than the average ST gamer and never developed the "gotta-have-it-right-damn-now" attitude. Perhaps it's because in my lifetime I've learned patience. Perhaps it's because I can better appreciate acquiring something slowly that I've worked on or waited for years for.
You see that's where your post becomes a little bit sanctimonious. How do you know your older than the average ST gamer?

Who say's people have the "gotta have it right damn now attitude"? We are paying for this and it's not like we have only just asked them. 18 months I think is not a " i want it now".

You've learned patience? What's that got to do with anything? Good for you, but your patience levels will be different to others. You may eventually lose patience but someone may say to you, learn more patience. How will you feel then?

Sorry but you lost it with just that one paragraph.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 146
07-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
KDF didn't previously have access to the rest of the galaxy. Now they do. Now they can have missions written and developed to provide them an enormous amount of content that takes them across the galaxy. Any future factions will also have this available to them from day 1. Without the changes brought about with Season 4, that could not happen.
The problem with that is, that change is something a lot of players would say should have been done in Beta. Or at least by the 45 day patch (season 1).

Quote:
Coding some new uniforms to fit on a "paperdoll" or creating a new ship model is fairly "quick and easy" to do. It doesn't require numerous passes against the current game coding to ensure that it works properly. And it provides for something interesting to keep the attention of the players for a little while.
One of the major complaints about this though is that the paperdoll distractions have gotten the lion's share of development time and resources and are at the forefront of the game's development while everything else appears to be suffering.

Quote:
I like what I pay for.
I like what I pay for too. Except in those 2 months after every major season update where they break what I pay for and I end up not being able to play the game the I paid for. It's why the most oft-posted criticism you see from me is how many problems I have with the way they do their test server and the way they respond to bug reports.

Bottom line, I wish they'd stop breaking the game I find fun to play.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 147
07-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
Perhaps it's because I work in IT. Perhaps it's because I'm a bit older than the average ST gamer and never developed the "gotta-have-it-right-damn-now" attitude. Perhaps it's because in my lifetime I've learned patience. Perhaps it's because I can better appreciate acquiring something slowly that I've worked on or waited for years for.
Players have shown patience but zero content updates in 5 going on 6 months dosen't remotely come near a "gotta have it right damm now" attitude. Seriously half a years wait and you're scolding posters for a lack of patience
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 AM.