Lt. Commander
# 21
08-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker1973
The dev have alraedy talked about spliting the space and ground skill trees why not the traits
Choose 4 space and 4 ground with racial not counting toward your choises.
Give aliens a racial a grab bag of randomly generatied traits to pick from so there not left out.
Well, I think that's going a bit too far in the other direction, IMO. Limiting trait selection encourages diversity, which makes the game more interesting. With that many selectable traits, you can bet that there would be a lot of balance issues and very likely result in cookie-cutter trait selection.

I'd rather see Player Characters get one or two more traits to choose from and the ability to improve them.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Well, I think that's going a bit too far in the other direction, IMO. Limiting trait selection encourages diversity, which makes the game more interesting. With that many selectable traits, you can bet that there would be a lot of balance issues and very likely result in cookie-cutter trait selection.

I'd rather see Player Characters get one or two more traits to choose from and the ability to improve them.
That would dis balance pvp players with improved accuracy and elusive traits would widen the build gap even further. Besides there are few wroth wile space traits out side of accurate, elusive, and efficient are the choice by alien gen character that are really wroth taking.
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I for one think that expanding on the traits would be an excellent idea. Stop thinking in the small box guys, see the bigger picture. More traits allow for more specialized characters, but you'd be in charge of picking what YOU want it to be. Traits shouldn't be necessarily giving you only space and ground stuff, could also be new passive abilities like read minds for telepaths which will allow them to buy from NPCs for a lower price and sell for a higher price. And Gorn get more proficient in unarmed combat or they get a bonus towards their ship performance via a trait. Or just an extra trait for an Orion based on seduction to convince NPCs of doing certain things.

Possibilities are there, you just need to see them!
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-10-2011, 05:37 AM
Created a new thread in General Feedback, since some will look at the title and just say no.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...90#post3691790
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-10-2011, 09:31 AM
I think all traits should be permanently segregated into two categories and you can pick four from both Ground and Space, but no more than four from either.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-13-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm totally on board with upgrading the traits system. Actually even just one more trait would be nice. But to be honest, the way it is now I generally feel that your character is either a space or a ground captain, and thats the way they stay forever. Which sucks.

I'd like to see more traits to choose from, more to take, and possibly a stronger effect from them in general.

Thats not even including the totally broken skill system. Either split it or drop the damn cap entirely.

Thumbs up!
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-13-2011, 11:21 PM
one thing I hope they include when they revamp the skill trees into separate space/ground listings is to do something similar for traits. While currently possible to make an entirely space traited character- or entirely ground, it seems like the system is punishing those of us who want a character who doesn't suck at either with mediocrity.
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meynolt View Post
I for one think that expanding on the traits would be an excellent idea. Stop thinking in the small box guys, see the bigger picture. More traits allow for more specialized characters, but you'd be in charge of picking what YOU want it to be. Traits shouldn't be necessarily giving you only space and ground stuff, could also be new passive abilities like read minds for telepaths which will allow them to buy from NPCs for a lower price and sell for a higher price. And Gorn get more proficient in unarmed combat or they get a bonus towards their ship performance via a trait. Or just an extra trait for an Orion based on seduction to convince NPCs of doing certain things.

Possibilities are there, you just need to see them!
Okay... I get where you're going with that, and I'm not opposed to the idea in general... but if you give somebody 8 traits (for example) wouldn't it make sense to limit that somehow so they're not just picking all Space traits to get an advantage in Space PvP?

I would like to see more specialized characters in this sense and per DStahl's comments in the latest Ask Cryptic it does sound like there may be some leeway here. (Although gaining an extra trait at VA level or some such is not exactly what I had in mind.)
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Well, I read an idea someone had recently which was to break up the initial pool of traits into: Racial (or species), Ground, and Space. In this way, certain races might lean more ground or space but still have a balance. From this footing I still like the idea of earning more traits as you level up.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Warning: I did not read the comments, as I am at work and have limited time!

I had a hard enough time picking the traits I wanted to begin with xD

While I think the trait system is fine the way it is, I think that, should ANY changes be made, it be that there be an additional trait SOLELY for ground traits. My characters would benefit from one extra slot just to help balance my effectiveness from space to ground.

Nice post, very detailed and thought out!