Lt. Commander
# 1 Powers P button
07-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I didn't realize I don't actually have to use the slots given to me for my bridge officers when using my ship in a battle (along the bottom where it lists each one)

But, I'm wondering, when I press P, are some of those powers only there because my officers have them as skills? For example, neither me nor any of my officers has an ability called attack pattern alpha, but it does appear under the powers. However, one of my officers does have an ability called beam fire at will I. Will that remain if I replace it with another skill, or will it not be available anymore if I do?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Your Captain also earns innate powers as you progress. Attack Pattern Alpha is one that Tactical Captains learn. You can simply move that up to the power tray and it won't go away. Some of the other powers are only there because your Bridge Officers know them. If you change or remove the power or the bridge officer with that power, it will go away or be replaced.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Makes me wonder than why you would have to put the power in the slots next the bridge officer's image, extra space perhaps? Not sure if the pop up tray is expandable lengthwise, meaning you can drag it left or right to get more slots. It doesn't seem you can have more than one row up at a time, you have to switch between them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-31-2011, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedman70
Makes me wonder than why you would have to put the power in the slots next the bridge officer's image, extra space perhaps? Not sure if the pop up tray is expandable lengthwise, meaning you can drag it left or right to get more slots. It doesn't seem you can have more than one row up at a time, you have to switch between them.
At the right side of the power tray, there is a button that allows you to switch between 4 modes:
  1. 1 - Button Row + Bridge Officer Powers Bar
  2. 2 - Button Rows + Bridge Officer Powers Bar
  3. 3 - Button Rows with extended length without Bridge Officer Powers Bar
  4. 3 - Button Rows with extended length + Bridge Officer Powers Bar
You want at the minimum setting 2, possibly 3 or 4. (With 3 or 4, you can definitely fit all Bridge Officer Powers, Captain Powers, Device and Ship Powers.)

You can reposition the controls by using "Re-Arrange HUD" in the Options Menu. (Unfortunately it's some weird indirect form of control - instead of being able to arrange the trays as you see them in your HUD, you can only move some green place-holders.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-01-2011, 04:40 AM
*belly laugh and wipes tear*

Ah...I don't mean to laugh but the OP is funny as. I wish I had only just discovered APA for the first time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-01-2011, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
You can reposition the controls by using "Re-Arrange HUD" in the Options Menu. (Unfortunately it's some weird indirect form of control - instead of being able to arrange the trays as you see them in your HUD, you can only move some green place-holders.
A veteran such as yourself should be aware of the /genjailunlock command!!!

/genjailunlock 1 - unlocks all windows, you can move and resize to your hearts content as they appear.
/genjailunlock 0 - locks windows into new size/position

No more green window nonsense.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
To the OP: You gain abilities as you level. Since you gained Attack Pattern Alpha, you must be a Tactical Captain. Further down the line, you'll also gain access to: Tactical Initiative, Fire on my Mark, Go Down Fighting, and Tactical Fleet.

There's also "generic" Captain abilities that everyone gets, like Ramming Speed, Evasive Maneuvers, Transwarp to Earth Spacedock, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx

/genjailunlock 1 - unlocks all windows, you can move and resize to your hearts content as they appear.

This is news to me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificialx

I knew this once, and then I forgot it, and I will forget it again.