Lt. Commander
# 41
07-29-2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeadlySAMURAI View Post
Kinda useless if I can't enter it. Probably 'cause of some archaic license crap.
I'm against all kinds of region blocking on the internet. It's world wide web and not few nations web.
So I say everything should be available everywhere.
yes +1 i think the same no Borders in WWW and no Borders for BlueRay and DVD
Lt. Commander
# 42
07-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimatedfish View Post
This is an absolutely cool contest, but being a Trekkie and a person of great I simply have to vent my liver or I'll explode.

"DVD? Are you kidding, that format is old enough there are trekkies who weren't even born when that was a current generation format."

Okay, got that one out of the way, I think I'm good now. Oh no, oh my god, here coems ano-!!

"GRAAAARGH FINISH REMASTERING TNG-VOY SO WE CAN GET A FRIGGIN' BLURAY RELEASE ALREADY, IT'S BEEN ALMOST SIX FRIGGIN' YEARS SINCE THE HD FORMATS EMERGE, RAAAAWR!"

*Left eye twitches slightly* Okay, I think that's everything. Signed up for the contest. Even though I can watch all of this on Netflix, if nothing else I can simply take them to the local trade in joint for cash I can use to splurge on the C-Store.
At least they're not offering it on Betamax or Laserdisc. Now THOSE are archaic formats.
Lt. Commander
# 43
07-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeadlySAMURAI View Post
Kinda useless if I can't enter it. Probably 'cause of some archaic license crap.
I'm against all kinds of region blocking on the internet. It's world wide web and not few nations web.
So I say everything should be available everywhere.
Unfortunately it's not so simple. Sometimes it just comes down to whether or not the country in question is willing to allow the contest to happen in their nation, and whether or not they can tax it to hell to take advantage of it.

Granted, I'm not familiar with all laws in all countries, but I can think of a few, especially the Province that I live in, using just that reason to exclude themselves from most world contests.

AKA Greedy tossers!
Lt. Commander
# 44
07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorothBlackthorn View Post
Unfortunately it's not so simple. Sometimes it just comes down to whether or not the country in question is willing to allow the contest to happen in their nation, and whether or not they can tax it to hell to take advantage of it.

Granted, I'm not familiar with all laws in all countries, but I can think of a few, especially the Province that I live in, using just that reason to exclude themselves from most world contests.

AKA Greedy tossers!
I'm painfully aware it's not that simple. There's a hole plethora of laws that can be in the way.
I just wish it WAS that simple.
Lt. Commander
# 45
08-02-2011, 06:22 AM
This is what is really going on.. Facebook users are so blind..

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech...ives/1573.html

- X -
Lt. Commander
# 46
08-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce007 View Post

- X -
Hate to break it to you, but 'alot' of websites do this, not just facebook. All you have to do to disable it is block cookies, simple as that. Many times the data is actually stored on your own computer as well, not on a server.

As to the reason some countries are excluded from contests, many countries have laws that require the person running the competition to pay taxes and fees (instead of the winner having to fork money out), hence lots of competitions are usually kept to a select few countries where issues like this won't be an issue. There are also laws on how competitions are run in some countries as well, as per marketing standards laws, which also complicates things. Hence you find many companies try to run competetions in countries they have run them in before without hitting legal snags.
Lt. Commander
# 47
08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:

- X -
What's your point? I'm logged in all the time, anyway. Doesn't affect me in the slightest.
Lt. Commander
# 48 Facebook
08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Facebook = FAIL.. Got rid of my account, last thing I want is to sign up for something then have them track my progress throughout the internet..

- X -
AMEN!

Facebook? I think not. What every happen to people minding there own business? I think I will order the series from W-mart instead. Who wants the whole world to know what you’re up to?