Lt. Commander
# 21
08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavion View Post
one thing to keep in mind is the excelsior and the conny have a very differnt USEAGE.

the Conny was retired and relegated to history. the Excelsior class meanwhile seems to just be the gift that kept on giveing, serveing as the primary cruiser of starfleet well into the TNG period, I suspect the excelsior just was a perfect storm of things that allowed it to continue in service, for longer then it's predecessors and even attempted sucessors (the Constellation was proably a post excelsior design, yet there's evidance the excelsior si contineuing in service while the constellatiion was an ageing relic slowly being phased out) my guess is the excelsior mated a highly reliabler, dureable and roomy hulll thus allowing easy upgrades, as well as extremely reliable basic systems.

in short the excelsior is the B-52 of starships.
All of that is dated. In the book, and the timeline, they point out that starships in the current STO modern starfleet are subject to their modular design advancement in technology. Which means that NX you see and that Connie you see aren't actual NXs and Constitutions class ships. They are modern ships modularly designed to LOOK like the classics. Just like that excelsior. Every ship in STO is a current ship. Because the timeline takes place in the future, a good chunk of time in the future.

So the whole argument is just sort of silly at this point. None of you are flying a B-52. You're flying a modern starship that looks like an older one.

Might as well be using a holoemitter.

Lt. Commander
# 22
08-03-2011, 08:32 AM
not this again,,,,
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Knuhteb
As a general rule, shouldn't all of the enterprises featured in the t.v. series receive tier 5 refit versions? I don't see the logic in having an excelsior refit but not having a Connie refit or not having an NX-01 refit.
The reason that there is an Excelsior refit is likely due to the fact that we have seen Excelsior-class ships all the way up to the 'modern' times in the Star Trek universe. Excelsior-class ships were seen fighting in the Dominion War, these were likely not the same ships as the original USS Excelsior, and obviously more advanced than the 1701-B.

I don't recall seeing any Constitution-class starships still in service during the time of TNG or fighting in the Dominion War. Obviously, the Excelsior-class is a proven design that Starfleet has chosen to keep in service.

NX-class for obvious reasons, although I did enjoy the grappler.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPeacemaker

I don't recall seeing any Constitution-class starships still in service during the time of TNG or fighting in the Dominion War. Obviously, the Excelsior-class is a proven design that Starfleet has chosen to keep in service.
Sorry I have to nerd on you for a minute.

At least one unnamed Constitution-class vessel participated in the Battle of Wolf 359 in 2366. Wreckage of the vessel or vessels was seen there as the USS Enterprise-D passed through the "grave yard" of ships that were defeated in the battle. (TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II")

Linky

( Granted what it came down to was the fact that they used the prop for it, but still. as the canon rules go. if it is on screen.. even for a second. it is canon. don't blame me. blame the canon rules. )
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxloef View Post
not this again,,,,
*opens draw.... Raises the "no T5 connie banner*
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Sorry I have to nerd on you for a minute.

At least one unnamed Constitution-class vessel participated in the Battle of Wolf 359 in 2366. Wreckage of the vessel or vessels was seen there as the USS Enterprise-D passed through the "grave yard" of ships that were defeated in the battle. (TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II")

Linky

( Granted what it came down to was the fact that they used the prop for it, but still. as the canon rules go. if it is on screen.. even for a second. it is canon. don't blame me. blame the canon rules. )
That is true, I remember seeing the engineering section floating in space after the battle. This was however, just one ship. Its possible that it may have been one of the last in service. We saw lots of Excelsior-class ships during TNG, and during the Dominion War.
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPeacemaker
That is true, I remember seeing the engineering section floating in space after the battle. This was however, just one ship. Its possible that it may have been one of the last in service. We saw lots of Excelsior-class ships during TNG, and during the Dominion War.
Oh I am not disagreeing with you. for all we know. The ship could have been a federation museum ship commanded by cadets and retired officers, that fairies people around on tours of it, but was pulled into service and rushed to wolf 359. ( I like this idea. would be a fun fan fic. )

But the fact is we don't know what happened. I don't disagree with you. this could be the last one, and all in all logic it is the last one, but the fact is. we just don't know. ( personally I could see the Constitution as a freighter or something in our timeline. I had one for role play purposes that was a retired, stripped down Conny that was converted into a civilian freighter )
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-03-2011, 09:12 AM
This particular request is going to keep coming up over and over again until They either finally put a T-5 into the game, or everybody that loves that particular design and wants to use it through more of the game...,

...Dies.
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Yeah, but keep in mind that is the exact same reason that the excelsior got used so much in the shows. Budgetary constraints and the model was already done and available.

So you know the entire debate about how the excelsior was shown to be in continual use? Real life reason was the same reason for the Constitution showing up in the wreckage of Wolf 359. And is the same real life reason so much footage and models and what not got reused so often. TV show with a small budget.
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul
Again, it makes no logical sense - if the ship's already in-game, why would CBS tie Cryptic's hands if they wanted to give it a boost?
It doesn't matter if it doesn't make logical sense or not. There has been hundreds upon hundreds of threads about this till I think the last one was closed by wishy with a "I'ts not going to happen" comment.

I could easily be wrong but it's all No's from any other source anyways so why is it people think making threads of the same thing over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over and over over is going to change CBS's mind is beyond me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY
This particular request is going to keep coming up over and over again until They either finally put a T-5 into the game, or everybody that loves that particular design and wants to use it through more of the game...,

...Dies.
Probably :p
Closed Thread