Lt. Commander
# 1 Two choices
08-04-2011, 01:34 AM
In the Foundry, is it possible to create a branching missions where you can make two choices? I can only make 'Complete All' when I have to outcomes next to each other
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-04-2011, 01:54 AM
sort of but you have to get createive

go to dialogue tab -
press create a new dialogue -
attach it to the map you want from the list of your maps-
enter the dialogue text and have one option as succeed and one as fail -
go into the map and find the blue speech bubble -
change its state so that it is attached to an object or a reach marker -
create something (ie a mob of enemies)
attach that mob to become visible on component complete then select the speech bubble

so for example if you encounter a npc contact and he wants a fight. you then make the fight dialogue be the succeed option and the diplomatic dialogue to the fail option.

the succeed dialogue spawns the mob (as the speech bubble component is complete) and you have a fight. you word the fail dialogue so that it sounds like you talked him out of it and the mob does not appear because the text failed.

as it is optional dialogue the fail does not stop the mission from continuing.

this only works for optional dialogue. you can become creative with what you have happen but its still limited, but its the best we have.

http://www.startrekonline.com/foundry_video

these help a lot if you have the time. the ones about branching dialogue and triggers should help.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Would this also work?

Have two reach markers on top each other, marker A transitions to
Map option A and marker B transitions to map B , then at end of maps both
Map A and B has transition to map C whitch has final task ( talk to contact for exampl)
to finish mission.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-04-2011, 03:01 AM
No, since mission events are linear. While you canhave multiple objectives runnign parallell on the same map, only the completion of all of them would count as the one event that triggers the next map.
In your case the players objective would be to reach both markers to complete the map. reaching one wouldnt be enough.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the ideas, i'll try it out. I have to say I'm really pleased with the Foundry so far, it's much easier than I expected to use.

Hopefully non-linear mission capability will be added in future.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Non-linear missions are something we've been asking for since the beginning.

There are some workarounds though.

In my latest missions I'm creating some moral choices using triggers. One example is I have the player choose whether to kill an npc or not. I do this by giving the player a simple reach marker to end the mission, but I place in front of them a console that will, using a trigger, deactivate a forcefield under an npc, dropping them to their "death". The player can also run to the next room to hit another console, spawning some crates in front of the airlock to block the npc in and keep them hidden.

These triggers don't appear in the story tree. The only thing in the story tree is the reach marker, with th eobjective text reading "Make your choice and move on."