Lt. Commander
# 21
07-30-2011, 11:49 AM
By some people's logic, armies should still be lining up in 2-3 ranks and firing at each other in open fields until one army folds? Don't go hiding in cover and shoot, or try and ambush people! That's just dishonorable!

People have this romaticized viewpoint that klingons should ALWAYS give the other guy a chance to win and fight to the death!

Remember that DS9 episode when martok commanded 5 bird of preys into hit and run missions? If we're going by your logic, then:

1. Those guys won't hit and run but kill everything until they die
2. They wouldn't try and go back to their own lines like "cowards" rather they should've all died glorious deaths when faced with overwhelming odds.

Running away = cowardice? /lol. It's called a tactic. Calling the running guy a "coward" to try and anger him is also a tactic. Psychological warfare is very underrated.

And remember, this isn't an accurate representation of ST, which is fiction after all. It can't and never will work like ST canon. Why? People are people. Some adhere to this knight-in-shining-armor goodie goodie ruleset in combat. Others will hunt you in cold blood. Some like to RP, some like to PvP, and some (like me) like to make fun of PvE people. (PvE is hard yo!)

Telling BoPs that, even with the flimsiest hull / shields and 1 less bridge officer slot, they need to stay and fight to the death instead of actually using battlecloak to try and regroup with others if losing, is laughable.

The B'rel is further penalized by having this "enhanced battle cloak." I don't necessarily agree with mustrum's idea, but saying klingons should always fight to the death is like saying "we feddies can't kill you when we already have all of these advantages on our sides (for more on this, ask any pvp veteran which side's favored right now in team v team matches). Please stay and be penalized further cause we don't want to fight fairly!"
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
I was thinking that the Klingon honor does forbit to attack those who cannot defend themselves.
(DS9: Rules of Engagement)

You missed the entire point to the episode。klingons have nothing at all against attacking the weak。 Reread it, the entire point was to juxtapose worf's warped,human-sense of honor vs the klingon sense of honor。
Lt. Commander
# 23
08-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Yes, the schizophrenic/quasi-defined sense of honor exhibitted by the Klingon species as a whole is a joke. One day it leads the Chancellor to declare a Klingon has dishonored himself for trying to cut down a grovelling Ferengi even after that Ferengi gave mortal offense, the other day it leads to a Klingon lawyer declaring that butchering civilians is honorable, so long as those civilians are your enemies.

But, having said that, this is a thread about game mechanics, not a thread about the philosophical underpinnings of the Klingon Empire. I don't think making the 'advanced battle cloak' a standard battle cloak with a freakishly short cooldown is the way to go. Honestly, I think it would work well if they just fixed the 'light up effect' so it could be effectively healed and supported by allies while cloaked.
Lt. Commander
# 24
08-04-2011, 11:58 PM
I think they should just go back to the way it was originally planned to be, IMO, before it was nerfed into uselessness.