Lt. Commander
Thread name says it all, the UI or HUD really makes the game laggy and lowers (at least my) Framerate considerably.

This is especially notable when you use the keybind to disable the whole HUD, the FPS boosts like crazy.
Now I know this is not related to my Videodrivers, and the game itself without the HUD enabled the game FPS improves rapidly.

Even opening up my Inventory drops FPS like 5 or even 10FPS sometimes, is this normal behavior? Is there SOMEthing we can do to decrease the lag?

Especially in PVP with alot of mines and stuff, Holoships, Scispam, you name it, FPS drops like crazy, and this is mostly related to the HUD/UI graphic overlays on the screen. Even trying to decrease the visuals on the screen (Until you are at a tactical disadvantage) doesnt fix this issue for me.

Is there a way to remove some aspects of the hud or at least minimize it? I know the Chat can be minimized, but thats about it. I cannot remove or minimize my mission list (As a pvper i absolutely dont require it atm) Ofcourse disabling this stuff is more of a temporary solution.

Is there any optimization in this in the forseeable future Cryptic?

Furthermore if I may be criticize about the overlays on ships itself, like the reticles and ship names, is there a way (in the future) to make the fonts/names smaller, make the Reticles itself somewhat less 'noticable'? (aka apply transparency and making the borders thinner or something) Because when im in a battle, and disable the hud/overlays, I fall in love with the game once again, smooth graphics, no crap in the game...

I hope this all gets optimized soon.
Lt. Commander
# 2 I do not experience any lag.
08-05-2011, 10:58 PM
I play with a three display setup using a Radeon HD, I do not notice any lag in the game while using the U/I.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-06-2011, 05:22 AM
I get this too with hud up I run around 25 to 30 FPS less in PvP when there is a lot of spam but if I turn the
hud off and the chat I max out at 60 FPS, would be nice if we had an option to turn some things off like say the mini map which I dont use during PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Yep, it's horrible. I filed a bug report a while back. Nothing came of it.

We talked about it here:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=224448

I remember that I also used to get horrible lag while walking in ground with the logs tab selected.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
I play with a three display setup using a Radeon HD, I do not notice any lag in the game while using the U/I.
It seems that having an NVIDIA card and/or Windows 7 64-bit may be a contibutor to the lag.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnogE00F
It seems that having an NVIDIA card and/or Windows 7 64-bit may be a contibutor to the lag.
Now thats strange. So this game has been 'optimized' for ATI cards or what?

My Mobile Graphics Processor is more then capable of running this game (Nvidia 330M GT) even overclocked it lags down considerable with those hud overlays

I know some people indeed files a bug report in the early state of the game, but cryptic never seemed to have done anything about it
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Edit:

Ive fiddled around with some of my Graphics settings in game, and one thing that i notice is when I enable Ambient Occlusion my FPS drops to like 25FPS. But the weird thing is, when i open up my inventory now, my FPS doesnt drop a single bit..

Is there a remote possibility it has something to do with each other?
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-06-2011, 09:10 PM
I have seen some possible UI / hud caused framerate issues off and on here as well and have included some numbers of what I found while doing a brief test session.

With the inventory open at Ds9 my fps dropped from 60 down to 45 at times while walking and stayed around 50 pretty consistently.

With the log page open my fps dropped down to 23 very consistently and it did it every time I opened the tab sometimes staying about the range of 26-28.

My card is an nvidia, and I have about 8g worth of ram.

Also my framerate without either of those items open is about 60.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I have the same problem.
25-30 fps with the hud and when i disable it (alt + F12) 60-65 fps.
I'm currently playing on a laptop with an Ati mobility radeao hd 5730m.