Lt. Commander
A lot of species that are forced to take unwanted traits that outweigh the unique traits they get.

Some don't even get unique traits

-Ferengi: Acute Senses and no unique traits (Alien can pick Natural Immunities, Trill gets better version)
-Gorn: Only Bite is unique, have to sacrifice all other choices to get it.
-Pakled: Dumb Luck doesn't affect exposes and has a HUGE penalty compared to lucky.
-Andorian: I like Andorians but I'd prefer to have Cold Blooded as required trait instead of Acute Senses (good for all careers).
-Male Orion: Sure he can get Seduce, but is forced to get Physical Strength.
-Saurian: Would be appealing with Reptillian Strength instead of Acute Senses. (EDIT)

I think a few minor tweaks could fix this easily and make species appealing to different careers rather than Pidgeonholing them.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalfos View Post
-Pakled: Dumb Luck doesn't affect exposes and has a HUGE penalty compared to lucky.
They are Pakled.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Pakleds...

Actualy Dumb luck makes them fun to play to be honest << and yes ive rolled two of them in my STO history >>.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-10-2011, 06:09 AM
The Gorn getting stuck in the purely physical fighting role is rough with how little melee fighting happens since Season 4. Bite is devastating though. The only upswing is it makes them Borg Steam Rollers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2011, 06:10 AM
So Canon = Useless ingame. It should be possible to make the trait worthwhile and be canon.

For example 5% bonus to crit and expose with penalties apart from hold, or if it is to remain crit only allow players to pick Lucky as well.

Besides apparently one of the comments in that video says they have limited intellect, but make up for it with cunning - so they only appear to have less resistance to confuse, placate and hold. (Why reduce hold resistance at all? Holds are mostly more of a physical thing most of the time)
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalfos View Post
So Canon = Useless ingame.
Uh, yeah. That's pretty much a given - where have you been?
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Yeah part of the problem with melee is that shotgun does more damage even though shields stop it.

I think for gorn Reptillian Strength should stay and remove resilient or cold blooded, better yet give em cold dwelling instead.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Eh, I love Bite with my Gorn. He's SCI, so I tend to just dive into the middle of my enemies, knocking off their shields with tachyon harmonic right as I descend upon them and unleash hell in the form of sonic pulse and a shotgun. Odds are, at least one will be exposed and shieldless, dragging themselves off the blood-stained (assuming they aren't Breen) floor, too disoriented and dumbfounded to see the Gorn's jaws wrapping around their neck...

Seriously though, Bite is awesome. Gorn's utter lack of any space abilities sucks if they have to take it, but on its own, Bite rocks... and having a second exploit attack on hand can have its uses, especially when you use my "dive in and unleash sonic shotgun hell" strategy and may have multiple exposes goin'.

Shocked you didn't list my Saurians on here (yup, got one of those, too!). Acute Senses... meh. And then Circulatory Reduncies, woot woot! Suck on that, Toxic, Plasma (DOT only), and FIRE damage!!! My Saurian is harder to kill when facing Undine or Romulans/Remans/players with Plasma Grenades, and he's capable of standing in fire longer than anyone else. Yeah, yall are totally jealous that Saurians CAN stand in the fire! Suck on those apples, Magmaw.

Wait, what's that? Saurians can't participate in Blackwing Descent? Well, then, that's news to me.

Honestly, a good player can play any race/with any traits and do good. My Saurian's traits are just awful (I also took Creative (not to shabby as a Fabricator-based ENG) and... Peak Health. Well, atleast it makes me even harder to kill. Marginally. On the ground.

That said, one of the things I like about STO is that fact that, while they do have an effect, there's nothing so trying that they're the end all, be all of the game. You'll never reach VA as a Pakled Tactical officer (totally rolling one of those: "We make things go... to Hell." and discover you'll never find a team that'll bring you along for most stuff.

I don't think sacrificing lore to make races more viable is the option. Really, make cold blooded reptiles cold dwelling? That just sounds stupid, in the sense that it makes no sense. Cold-blooded creatures don't live in cold environments typically, and the Gorn have mostly been established to NOT be one of those rare exceptions. Some traits, especially those unique ones (or close to unique) that get forced on certain races, should be buffed... and heck, maybe Cryptic should make some have more places where they'd be useful. Have a STF where you can skip the most grueling part if someone runs through a fire, but the only race that can survive running through the flames to do it is Saurians, thus it'd be awesome to have a Saurian on hand.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Back when the game was just launched, there was a movement afoot to suggest Ferengi be given an innate boost to defenses against mental whatevers.

That movement never really got much of a response from the dev team. But did get a lot of player support since it was rooted rather firmly in the lore from the shows.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Yeah I do really like Bite, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice so much to get it.

So if the Gorn had Reptillian Strength and Cold Blooded, with Bite optional seems canon and functional.
I appreciate canon is more important to some than it is to me, but it doesn't have to be a given that Canon = Useless.

And i was considering including Saurian as well, although they do have a unique trait (Kind of Superior Cold Blooded) which would also make sense on a Gorn imo, since they can dish out toxic they shouldn't also be so vulnerable to it.

Seems kinda like a glitch that Saurian don't have Reptillian Strength like their Boffs do, so it would be more of an even match if they had that instead of Acute Senses.