Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Despawning a friendly NPC?
08-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry yes its a noob question.

I've recently given a crack at the foundry and I'm nearly done with a mission but I need to figure something out, how do you de-spawn a friendly contact? I don't even care if he doesn't use a transporter animation I just want him gone.

He's the main villain of the mission and you get to have a brief discussion with him before he de-spawns and leaves you with a small force of enemies. So I want to know, how can you de-spawn him? Because under states it only lets me bring him in, not out.

Any hints would be awesome
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-10-2011, 02:49 PM
We've been asking for this feature forever. While we can make an npc visible, we cannot make one invis.

The only reliable work around is on custom-built maps using platforms. If there is a pit under the platform then you can trigger the floor to disappear, which makes the npc fall out of the map. You then set a new floor to replace the old one.

I'm guessing that would not work for your mission, lol.

Sorry pal. I don't why we can't, but we're not allowed to despawn an npc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
We've been asking for this feature forever. While we can make an npc visible, we cannot make one invis.

The only reliable work around is on custom-built maps using platforms. If there is a pit under the platform then you can trigger the floor to disappear, which makes the npc fall out of the map. You then set a new floor to replace the old one.

I'm guessing that would not work for your mission, lol.

Sorry pal. I don't why we can't, but we're not allowed to despawn an npc.
This is no longer effective. If you leave an area, contacts despawn. When you return, they respawn in their original positions. So for the trapdoor trick to work, you pretty much have to have the enemy fall down a pit while in close proximity to the player.

So... It works if you don't mind the player seeing the contact shoved down a pit and you don't plan for the player to travel any great distance and come back.

I'm finding the best approach is to actually have multiple copies of a contact at multiple locations if you want to convey contact movement. Much like how, in a game like ********, there may be 10 versions of Thrall floating around the game world but they're simply never positioned within easy sight access of one another.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
This is no longer effective. If you leave an area, contacts despawn. When you return, they respawn in their original positions. So for the trapdoor trick to work, you pretty much have to have the enemy fall down a pit while in close proximity to the player.

So... It works if you don't mind the player seeing the contact shoved down a pit and you don't plan for the player to travel any great distance and come back.

I'm finding the best approach is to actually have multiple copies of a contact at multiple locations if you want to convey contact movement. Much like how, in a game like ********, there may be 10 versions of Thrall floating around the game world but they're simply never positioned within easy sight access of one another.
That's interesting. I wonder if you could still make it work using a friendly npc group and moving the pushpin to the halfway point so that the npc doesn't disappear when the player is out of sight.

Thanks for the info L99.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
That's interesting. I wonder if you could still make it work using a friendly npc group and moving the pushpin to the halfway point so that the npc doesn't disappear when the player is out of sight.

Thanks for the info L99.
It should still work with an NPC group because they'd die when they fall down the pit if you position them high enough, I think. Dead NPCs or contacts (I tested by using "kill target") don't respawn when you leave and come back. If the NPC isn't dead, they will respawn when out of range though.

I think this is tied to the new tech where enemies and contacts don't spawn until you're within a certain range of them, likely done to prevent exploits involving reducing enemies to low health by dropping them huge distances or issues with contacts getting killed by AoE before you can get to them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
08-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Incidentally, you CAN drop the player into a duplicate platform/map. Just mask it with something like lots of vertical energy effects and a reduced gravity volume effect. I've considered doing a Frame of Mind-inspired mission with that effect. (Just make sure you drop the player and not any of the NPCs.)

You can, of course, load a duplicate map and have the contact use a beam out animation on the new map (which does unfortunately have a loadscreen).

Another trick is to position steps cleverly. It will be noticeable over short distances but less over long ones.

The trick is:

You have a "before" platform. You have an "after" platform where all of the contacts/widgets/etc are set invisible.

The "after" platform is ten feet above the "before" platform.

When the player ducks around a corner and isn't there to see your messy area shifting business (say, they hit a waypoint), you make the before platform invisible and the 100 or so steps that lead up to it. You replace it with the after platform and 100 stairs that are slightly steeper. (You could do it with ten stairs but they'd be noticeably steeper. Whereas using LOTS of stairs means that the steepness increase per step is less sharp.)

A simpler approach might be to do this with lined up ramps and have an extra ramp and a bit longer hallway leading up to the "after" map.

You do it cleverly and no one will notice... unless, of course, you have multiple players playing the mission and one lags behind. Which could, you know, drop them through the floor.

I'm trying to hold back on tricks that can be bugged out with multiplayer, personally, and include extra cheats or workarounds for multiple players. It limits what you can do substantially, though. We really need waypoints that verify that all players are present before proceeding.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
08-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the help

I found it easier to just say he beamed out already and was using a communicator, It might be lazy but until Cryptic makes NPC's despawnable it'll have to do.

Thanks to everyone anyway though
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
08-12-2011, 06:21 AM
I wish there was a way to do this - I had a part in mind where you have to euthanize some borg-infected crewmen, and after talking to them, hearing their asking for it, and deciding on how you'd do it, they would 'vaporize'.

Guess I'll keep that on hold :p
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 PM.