Lt. Commander
# 11
08-11-2011, 06:27 AM
I can't imagine running these without voice comms. Hard to believe that someone who doesn't use voice has actually tried it to see what a difference it makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuppers View Post
If you have 2 weapons of the same time as soon as that pops up you will have to remod, if you have 2 different types simply switch and then remod when borg adapt to that weapon as well.
I don't believe this actually works, even though it seems logical. In practice, it appears that the Borg adapt to *you* no matter what your weapons are.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Disclaimer: I only PUG the STFs -

Quote:
Kits:
Science: Not totally up to date, will edit this part in once i speak to our resident sci people.
Generally I use one of the medic kits. If it's a good group where people know how to use hypos and such, I use Physicist for fun.

Quote:
Strategy:
You will most likely fail an STF if you do not have/stick with a strategy.
Very true

Quote:
Voice communication is essential, the in game Vivox is just painful so don't even think about using that. Most decent fleets have an external communication program like Ventrilo or Teamspeak.
Not true. It helps, but I would not call it essential. I have only used it once (in STO, used vent all the time back when I played WOW), didn't speed things up much for a PUG. The only thing that really helps speed up time is people have to listen, and using Vent wont make people listen above just using the chat. If people are going to be stupid, they're going to be stupid no matter how you are yelling at them.

That said, I have definitely been in some bad PUGs, but I really believe vent would not have helped at all (some were just hopeless). And the good PUGs, especially the ones where everyone has done it before multiple times, no need for vent, simple commands in the chat work fine.

Generally, my PUG times are only about 15 minutes higher than your times, which I am perfectly ok with
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
I can't imagine running these without voice comms. Hard to believe that someone who doesn't use voice has actually tried it to see what a difference it makes.

I don't believe this actually works, even though it seems logical. In practice, it appears that the Borg adapt to *you* no matter what your weapons are.
We normally don't use voice in our fleet runs, never needed it. Lately there has been a push to start using the Fleet TS server and we are now actually a bit slower because of people jmping channels and interrupting us, distracting us with questions etc... On average it has added 10mins to our stf times.

On the flip side, you can put voices to the players and it is a good way to 'socialize'. If you are in a PUG or running a STF with allies, it can help because they don't know your strategies and saves some typing but being on voice doesn't mean people suddenly have common sense. Also with random people it is easier to coordinate your tac inish and such.

Agree with the Cure method of Lighting 1, killing everything, repeat.. faster than no aggro now by far, less chance of anyone messing it up and you have a clean spawn at the end to boot. The ancient HD method still works fine and good to use once in a while so you can remember the good old days when this stuff was challenging.

As far as the survivor's guide...
Hypos, Power cells etc... Don't stand when you can crouch, KISS (keep it simple .....), be observant of your envorinment (watch LOS with your medic etc), listen to whoever is leading the stf (even if you disagree, they are leading), if you don't understand something, ask and most importantly, have some fun!!
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidarr View Post
.....have some fun!!
I actually meant to put that in my first post, It's why we should play the game and thus why we choose to do stf's. Kudos to you.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
What? Ever looked at the little debuff icons below your portrait? Tells you exactly to which of your energy weapon types they have adapted. Believe it or not, doesn't change the facts.