Lt. Commander
# 11
08-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Hunter View Post
As for the lack of content, I think that can be atributed entirely to Atari.
I dont, and here is why: if nothing at all had been done in the past 6 months, then it might make a little sense to say it was Atari's fault. However, things have been done. Alot of things. Just not any new content. So its not a manpower issue, its a priorities issue. Are SFA and the New Qo'nos great? Yes, but they dont actually give you anything new to DO besides running around them and looking. That same time and manpower could have been spent adding actual playable content to this game, but it wasnt. So no, I dont think that was Atari and a manpower issue, that was a mismanagement of priorities.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
No need to thank me, because unfortunately I do not have any more patience after 6 months since the last featured episode and 2 more to go until the next

Seriously, despite the Devs saying it wouldnt be, the reality is the Foundry has been the only source of new mission content to this game for a very long time. Having it down is simply unacceptable. This is what happens when you have the Foundry turned off almost the entire time your testing S4 on Tribble; it doesnt get thoroughly tested and bugs like this make it live.
You need to be patient, they just got rid of the problem and it will take time to get everything situated and rolling again, plus hey are hiring.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus01 View Post
You need to be patient, they just got rid of the problem and it will take time to get everything situated and rolling again, plus hey are hiring.
The problem is the Foundry was turned off for most of the time S4 was being tested on Tribble, therefore these bugs didnt get worked out like they should have. So no, they didnt "get rid of the problem". That issue is completely unrelated to Atari/PW.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
I dont, and here is why: if nothing at all had been done in the past 6 months, then it might make a little sense to say it was Atari's fault. However, things have been done. Alot of things. Just not any new content. So its not a manpower issue, its a priorities issue. Are SFA and the New Qo'nos great? Yes, but they dont actually give you anything new to DO besides running around them and looking. That same time and manpower could have been spent adding actual playable content to this game, but it wasnt. So no, I dont think that was Atari and a manpower issue, that was a mismanagement of priorities.
Not wanting to argue, because indeed the Negus is wise, but you have to build the foundation before you build the house.

Both Starfleet Academy and First City are going to be major hubs for upcoming content (and as starting points for the HUGE influx of Free to Play players coming in October more than likely).

It may seem like a lack of content, but it is actually very far sighted.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Not wanting to argue, because indeed the Negus is wise, but you have to build the foundation before you build the house.
The house(Star Trek Online) is already built. It has been built since launch, February 2010. What we have recently gotten was a lot of remodeling. Does it look nice? Yes, but the people inside are starving. So again, a mismanagement of priorities, not any manpower issue.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
i think their plans have been thrown into chaos by the atari/pw situation. when they planned this content drought the landscape was very different.

we should have gotten content around july time, or at least now in early august. if that had still been the case we would have content to play now and no one would have cared about the content drought as we would all be busy playing it and enjoying the new ground combat, new doff system etc.

the problems with PW and atari started to happen around april/may time (roughly) which seems to have been one of the problems, causing all this content due in july/august to go back to september/october making a small content drought into a huge content drought.

in hindsight if they could go back to January this year then yes they probably should have spent that time making more missions instead of the ground combat and what ever else but at the time they probably did not know they were going to be bought out. hindsight is a wonderful thing.

i dont personally think its mismanagement. i still agree with what they had originally planned out and the time tables they gave us, although thats a personal opinion for each of us to decide.

i think it was very bad timing that made a tricky and controversial issue far worse and made it look like mismanagment. i wont blame atari for wanting to sell a company but i dont think the devs are to blame either.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i think their plans have been thrown into chaos by the atari/pw situation. when they planned this content drought the landscape was very different.

we should have gotten content around july time, or at least now in early august. if that had still been the case we would have content to play now and no one would have cared about the content drought as we would all be busy playing it and enjoying the new ground combat, new doff system etc.

the problems with PW and atari started to happen around april/may time (roughly) which seems to have been one of the problems, causing all this content due in july/august to go back to september/october making a small content drought into a huge content drought.

in hindsight if they could go back to January this year then yes they probably should have spent that time making more missions instead of the ground combat and what ever else but at the time they probably did not know they were going to be bought out. hindsight is a wonderful thing.

i dont personally think its mismanagement. i still agree with what they had originally planned out and the time tables they gave us, although thats a personal opinion for each of us to decide.

i think it was very bad timing that made a tricky and controversial issue far worse and made it look like mismanagment. i wont blame atari for wanting to sell a company but i dont think the devs are to blame either.
The reality is, the Devs knew about the sale long before we did. They knew it was coming long before the public announcement was made. So with that foreknowledge they could have changed their internal plans to focus on mission content. This wasnt some big surprise they had no idea about.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:
The house(Star Trek Online) is already built. It has been built since launch, February 2010. What we have recently gotten was a lot of remodeling. Does it look nice? Yes, but the people inside are starving. So again, a mismanagement of priorities, not any manpower issue.
Hehe, but that was the Atari paid subscription house. With PW we are going to a Free to Play house. I think that they have their priorities exactly were they want them, not mismanaged at all. New playable content (missions, Featured Episodes, etc) will just be an added inticement for all the new F2P players when the conversion is announced.

Do I like it? Not really. But I can see why as a business they have to do it this way (especially since PW is very prominent in the F2P market).

Does this really solve the whole Foundry thing being down? No. But, again, at least we do have this terrific tool available to us (most of the time :p), something the poor slobs over at DDO had to suffer through without.

Darn you Atari! Darn you to heck!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Hehe, but that was the Atari paid subscription house. With PW we are going to a Free to Play house. I think that they have their priorities exactly were they want them, not mismanaged at all. New playable content (missions, Featured Episodes, etc) will just be an added inticement for all the new F2P players when the conversion is announced.
That doesnt really make sense. When people start a game they want to know it ALREADY has lots of things for them to do, not that it will HOPEFULLY have lots of things for them to do later. So getting those things ALREADY put in game BEFORE the announcement would be much more of an "inticement" than putting them off.
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_First_Avenger
That doesnt really make sense. When people start a game they want to know it ALREADY has lots of things for them to do, not that it will HOPEFULLY have lots of things for them to do later. So getting those things ALREADY put in game BEFORE the announcement would be much more of an "inticement" than putting them off.
New F2P player just after PW announces it: "Hey I just signed up for STO - man is this game fun!"

Friend of F2P player, "Really should I give it a try?"

New F2P player, "Hells yes! Heck they even announced a new update in two weeks with all sorts of extra content. Man this game rocks! With new stuff coming out like this all the time, I'll never get bored! Now where's that C-store button?...."