Lt. Commander
# 191
02-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Thanks for the excellent sum-up, KOS.

We're looking to novels and other soft canon resources for inspiration, but we aren't using them as absolutes. Some things from the soft canon we will use, other things we will disregard, and still other things we will change to create the game world of STO.
Kestrel ...

If you need some Gorn help PLEASE come check out my forums:

http://theblackcrest.forumotion.net/the-gorn-f2/

I took a lot of time to piece together the information known about the Gorn through all types of avenues. Hope it helps.
Lt. Commander
# 192
02-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekii View Post

I would suggest that they use the 'alternate Time-line' story line, mentioning some alteration that nudges STO Time-Lime away from the DESTINY TRILOGY Time line.

Alternate Time Lines is an iconic aspect of Star Trek (Alternate Universe, Time Travel Episodes, Temporal War, etc), and as such it is a good device to use, instead of just 'changing fiction and ignoring Lore Conflicts'.

I understand the whole 'soft-canon' point of view, I just do not think it should be abused. Why clash, when you can simply side-step. Clashes should be the last resort, not the first. Stick with the proper dates and basic events, and write in some fictional reason why things are different in STO Fiction, when clashes are unavoidable -- ie why the Borg exist in STO, but not after the events of some soft canon.

The last MMO that decided to pick and choose the Canon, and make gross changes 'just because they could' was SWG, and look how wonderful that game turned out.
Another problem with what you say is this ...

Not all writers of books and all looked at what other people wrote, so they can have discrepancies in book series and comics. So that can cause a problem for Cryptic to pull one over the other for information.

I'm no expert (I stopped watching DS9 at Dom War, and Voy when Kes left) so I admit so much I don't know.
Lt. Commander
# 193 Empire of future past
02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan50265 View Post
I'm interested to see what the Romula Empire will look like at the en of this conflict to give us an idea of what th expansion will be like.

The empire will look like something other than it realy is. We were feared before all this and now all you people fear is that this 'civil war', as you call it, will affect you. Your fear is misplaced, this is an internal political struggle, so please remember of few things.
First, if we desired to affect you we would. Second, Praetor can be earned by the low as well as claimed by the high. Third, what makes you think that unification is something that would affect us that much? Fourth, though understandable, using your cultural, socialogical references to explain Romulan ways is......futile. Fith, See ya!
Lt. Commander
# 194
02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
I wonder if the ST Nemisis movie is going to eventually be part of these updates
Lt. Commander
# 195
02-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Phoenix
I wonder if the ST Nemisis movie is going to eventually be part of these updates
Would you want it to be?
Lt. Commander
# 196
02-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphs View Post
Would you want it to be?
Not in detail, just a mention or if it will even be a big mention
Lt. Commander
# 197
02-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Phoenix
Not in detail, just a mention or if it will even be a big mention
If there is a Romulan vs Federation war element in this game suppose it would make sense to have it there. It was a powerful weapon of war alright. (The Scimitar that is)
Lt. Commander
# 198
02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Quote:
If there is a Romulan vs Federation war element in this game suppose it would make sense to have it there. It was a powerful weapon of war alright. (The Scimitar that is)
The Scmitar had its ups and downs plus who does not say that the Romulan Empire did not build a better ship in all those years? A lot can change in that period of time. As you can see is that the Empire split up.....different motions and different results
Lt. Commander
# 199
02-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
The Scmitar had its ups and downs plus who does not say that the Romulan Empire did not build a better ship in all those years? A lot can change in that period of time. As you can see is that the Empire split up.....different motions and different results
Who knows, very little is known of what happens in the Romulan Empire.
Lt. Commander
# 200
02-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Who knows, very little is known of what happens in the Romulan Empire.
"How true and the problem with the Scimitar is it showed that a ship built arround a weapon is not very versital, take stoo much power, reguardless of the effectiveness of the weapon. It couldn't be a front line weapon as it would attaract all the attention. We of the Tal Shiar feel that medium to large sized vessals are the best, easier to fund, build, modify and dsiguise.