Lt. Commander
# 121
02-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
We'll know more about the unstated criteria that Cryptic used to judge the entries in this contest (in addition to the four stated criteria) once they release the runner-up entries.

But I think we can already see something interesting in Thalasi's winning entry. Read it closely -- do you notice how there's really very little there that's specific to Star Trek?

One of the virtues of Thalasi's entry is that someone who's new to Star Trek could read that, whether as a work of creative writing or a contest entry or even as an actual bit of content in Star Trek Online, and not be left shaking their head wondering what the heck's going on. There's no "treknobabble" at all.

Which means that it's a lot more welcoming to a broad audience than a piece that uses a lot of the technical jargon that a hardcore fan of Star Trek would be familiar with and enjoy.

Again, once the runner-up entries are released we'll see whether that was really something important to those who judged this contest's entries, or if I'm using one data point to perceive a pattern that's not really there.

In the meantime, just something to think about. Congratulations, Thalasi!

--Flatfingers
I hadn't noticed that, good eye Flatfingers. That was a hard feat to accopmplish on its own. Congrats Thalasi
Lt. Commander
# 122
02-16-2009, 06:15 AM
I have to say very well done! I enjoyed the story!
Lt. Commander
# 123
02-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Congrats! Well done.
Lt. Commander
# 124
02-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trpko_62 View Post
As first, congrats to the winner.

second I know I couldn't win:p. My story was too long (666 words with my name and address, so no hard feeling there. All thaw, I think first version of contest required 700 words. Could Criptic give us some of reasons on their decision.

third: I hope there will be more this kind of contest. It will bring lot (from winers and other) of idea to the dev-team.

fourth: I hope Criptic will oppen page with best (let's say best 10 entrance).

fifth: congratulations to the winner.
Out of curiosity, did you get a message stating you were automatically disqualified due to length?

Technically, I wouldn't think that enclosing your name and address would automatically disqualify your story by making it too long. The contest said each story//entry was to be a maximum of 500 words. However it did not say anything about additional information in the email that is not directly part of the entry itself, or that it would cause a disqualification due to length. After all, nowhere in the contest rules was it stated that the email itself had to be less than 500 words.

Also, one thing I hope is clarified in the future - the exact measuring of words. Now adays, most programs count words by the actual number of words in a document (anything separated by a space), but alternate word-counting methods used a formula of (Document length divided by 5-7) to determine the exact word length.
Lt. Commander
# 125 disqualification
02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsabrock
Out of curiosity, did you get a message stating you were automatically disqualified due to length?

Technically, I wouldn't think that enclosing your name and address would automatically disqualify your story by making it too long. The contest said each story//entry was to be a maximum of 500 words. However it did not say anything about additional information in the email that is not directly part of the entry itself, or that it would cause a disqualification due to length. After all, nowhere in the contest rules was it stated that the email itself had to be less than 500 words.

Also, one thing I hope is clarified in the future - the exact measuring of words. Now adays, most programs count words by the actual number of words in a document (anything separated by a space), but alternate word-counting methods used a formula of (Document length divided by 5-7) to determine the exact word length.
No, have recived no message up to today.
Just to satisfy your curiosity.

back to my original. I would like to hear (read) more from dev's.
Lt. Commander
# 126
02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Quote:

I just typed "word count" into google and cut and paste my story from word into it to get my count(which varied from 493 to 499 depending on the page, probably something to do with the issues you mentioned). In any event after including my forum name and real name I was over 500 so Im sure they are counting the story length and not the email length.
Lt. Commander
# 127
02-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Quote:

the length of the story wouldn't be the main thing to disqualify Trpko but being from Europe would. From what I understand Awen got it approved for future contests to be available outside the US
Lt. Commander
# 128
02-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Congrats! I hope that I finished in the 'runner-ups' just for ego purposes.
Lt. Commander
# 129 Squeakin' under the limit!
02-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalasi View Post
I just typed "word count" into google and cut and paste my story from word into it to get my count(which varied from 493 to 499 depending on the page, probably something to do with the issues you mentioned). In any event after including my forum name and real name I was over 500 so Im sure they are counting the story length and not the email length.
This is good information to know; thanks for taking the time to give us the update. To be on the safe side I included my title and introductory sentence regarding the contest, but I would have loved to have had a few more extra words.

By the way, I thought you got a special title in your signature as part of winning the first prize. I see it is still not there... Has Awen informed you as to when that might happen?

It will be the only reward for those taking second place prizes, so I was just curious about that. Thanks again.
Lt. Commander
# 130
02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Congratulations and good job.
Closed Thread