1. Eventually going to be hooked up to a new starter zone, including revamped tutorial and apparently some missions (which will then be on mission replay) and a fleet action.
2. Not that I can tell.
3. Major increase in damage, major decrease in health (except for capain level enemies, which actually gained somewhat), more minor adjustment to healing, most weapons were completely revamped and even the ones that are still basically the same had noticeable function changes. Almost every power in the game was revamped, some had their basic function completely redone (like Fire on my Mark). Also, bigger changes with Borg including weapon adaptation and remodulation.
4. More to doe, particularly thanks to mission replay and certain missions being remastered (remastered and featured episodes scale to your current level on replay, as well)... More to do, but not a lot more to do. You'll still run out entirely too soon... Hopefully the duty officer system will help with this. Eventually.
1. What's the point of starfleet academy besides the holodeck and looking pretty?
At some point in the relatively near future it will be used for the game Tutorial are for new Fed captains. They are also going to be adding a Klingon Academy for the KDF side.
2. Did they nerf exploration mission xp or is it just me imagining they used to be greater?
Not sure about this one, sorry. Haven't noticed anything myself.
3. I heard ground combat got revamped but so far it seems pretty much exactly the same. Seems a bit more responsive but don't notice much else different.
The new ground system includes the "Shooter Mode" which makes it more like a 3rd person shooter. Can switch between the two "modes" by hitting B while on a ground map.
4. Is there a lot more to do at end game that I should continue playing my vice admiral tac officer or just toy around with my LT Cmdr sci officer?
Other than the STFs, Dailies and Mission Replay there isn't too much more to do, unfortunately. Once the Foundry is back up, however, you can play all the User Created content; some of which is really good.
Hope this helps a bit.
*EDIT* - Damn my slow typing skills. Hevach beat me to the punch.
Thanks for the replies. Now that you guys mentioned the parts about ground combat I can see that now about the higher damage and lower health. Definitely seems better in some way. Haven't quite put my finger on it yet.
Edit: didn't know abotu shooter mode. Will see what that's about tonight.