Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
08-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAnnoyingKitsune
I don't get it. When Season 4 went up, not only did melee weapons not get a damage increase like the ranged ones, but they also got hit by the nerf bat when it was changed so that they only dealt 50% damage through shields instead of a complete damage bypass like they used to. That pretty much quartered the damage they deal in comparison to the way ranged weapons work now, and to top it all off ranged weapons now get melee combos. I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking "let's make people want to never use melee weapons again", so what *were* they thinking over there when they did that?

I used to routinely switch between ranged and melee weapons during engagements on the ground, but now I've practically forgotten my melee weapons exist. It's rather... disturbing. So no, I don't think they're viable... unless you can get VERY creative with them or you're fighting the Borg with a player/BOff group that is sufficiently good at keeping you alive. When it comes to those two things, I believe there have already been a few examples of what you can do with them, but it still doesn't solve how "blunted" they've become DPS-wise.
Like I said... Unless you are fighting the Borg they are not useful. I am not sure what the idea was either... If the idea was to go for a more fully FPS feel then the Melee Weapons should have been used somewhat rarely but be utterly wicked. (ie. Halo, Gears of War, etc...) However, that is not the case so it seems as if they got a nerf for no apparent reason. They already had the downside that you had to hold your target still and be in their face. I figure with the Shotguns that is even more of a penalty these days but apparently Cryptic did not think so.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
08-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Oh I don't know. My most recent Kling Tac character has bat'leths on all of his BOffs, and they mow things down pretty quickly.

The shield bleed-through being nerfed to 50% is lame. I'm guessing without it players would be slaughtering everything with melee weapons. NPCs did take a big hit to their health pools, and having melee weapons go through shields at 100% damage might have been too much. Still, 50% damage through shields is rough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
08-16-2011, 10:11 AM
As far as ground pvp goes, melee weapons have never been viable.
As far as non-weapon damage abilities, the best one I've seen is the Lethean's Rapture.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
08-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
Oh I don't know. My most recent Kling Tac character has bat'leths on all of his BOffs, and they mow things down pretty quickly.

The shield bleed-through being nerfed to 50% is lame. I'm guessing without it players would be slaughtering everything with melee weapons. NPCs did take a big hit to their health pools, and having melee weapons go through shields at 100% damage might have been too much. Still, 50% damage through shields is rough.
Really? When my BOFF's get their hands on a Melee weapon they just stand there and never attack. They do not even use Pistols. The shortest range weapon they seem willing to use is the Shotgun.

Before Season Four I was able to use Melee VERY effectively against the Klingons, Borg, and a few other Aliens. Basically you wanted to use it on enemies who do not run away but if they did not run it dealt WAY more damage than any energy weapon. However, now it is not even close. I can deal WAY more damage with energy weapons than melee.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
08-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
Really? When my BOFF's get their hands on a Melee weapon they just stand there and never attack. They do not even use Pistols. The shortest range weapon they seem willing to use is the Shotgun.

Before Season Four I was able to use Melee VERY effectively against the Klingons, Borg, and a few other Aliens. Basically you wanted to use it on enemies who do not run away but if they did not run it dealt WAY more damage than any energy weapon. However, now it is not even close. I can deal WAY more damage with energy weapons than melee.
Indeed , but with the INTENTIONAL REMOVAL of Maintain from the ground auto attack sellection list your charicter stands there like a meat popcicle , doing NOTHING , Not Attacking , Not Firing , Just Getting Beat On Like A Cheap Bongo Drum . It is EPICLY FRUSTRATING ! ! !
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
08-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfHat
Indeed , but with the INTENTIONAL REMOVAL of Maintain from the ground auto attack sellection list your charicter stands there like a meat popcicle , doing NOTHING , Not Attacking , Not Firing , Just Getting Beat On Like A Cheap Bongo Drum . It is EPICLY FRUSTRATING ! ! !
BOffs seem to have their "awareness" radius set by the range of their weapons. If you have your BOffs equipped with rifles, they'll be able to target, aim and fire on any enemies within rifle range.
However, if they're equipped with melee weapons their awareness of enemies drops like a rock. They'll stand around you until you tell them to engage a target, or you move into range so that they start taking damage (which means they'll auto-attack whoever attacked them).

It's a "feature" that has been in-game since beta. The fix is to move closer to targets so your BOffs see them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
08-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
BOffs seem to have their "awareness" radius set by the range of their weapons. If you have your BOffs equipped with rifles, they'll be able to target, aim and fire on any enemies within rifle range.
However, if they're equipped with melee weapons their awareness of enemies drops like a rock. They'll stand around you until you tell them to engage a target, or you move into range so that they start taking damage (which means they'll auto-attack whoever attacked them).

It's a "feature" that has been in-game since beta. The fix is to move closer to targets so your BOffs see them.
It is not the Boffs I have issue with , but the CAPTAIN that stands there doing NOTHING
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
08-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfHat
It is not the Boffs I have issue with , but the CAPTAIN that stands there doing NOTHING
I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying your captains cannot melee? I run into anything like that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
08-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying your captains cannot melee? I run into anything like that.
In that auto attack at present is NON - FUNCTIONAL ! ... What part of there is NO Maintain Sellection for ground auto attack do You Not Understand ? Don't believe me ? Log on in game pull down options , ground , and see for your self .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
08-21-2011, 12:31 AM
I can now report that auto attack/autofire , ground is now . ., somewhat functional . the problem now is none of the fireworks start until you manualy sellect a target .
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 PM.