Lt. Commander
# 1 Boundary-less Infinite Universe?
08-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Has anyone else seen this?

Asside from being a completely different Engine that's being privately developed, If the Star Trek Universe were overlayed on top of an infinitely generated universe with no area transitions it would be the most dynamic and amazing Trek gaming experience IMO.

I Imagine scenarios where players could spend a week exploring a single solar system, or having transitions to semi-space battles (Moving from Space Combat to Atmospheric Combat with Shuttles to Ground Combat that could cover large terrain. (There are a group of Klingon Ground Troops on the southern continent... go find them)

I imagine that this would probably never happen in a million years, but if enough people thought it was a good idea... you never know, maybe STO just might get in contact with those devs and bring us a whole new world after several years

Thoughts?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by publius_varrus View Post

http://www.infinity-universe.com

Asside from being a completely different Engine that's being privately developed, If the Star Trek Universe were overlayed on top of an infinitely generated universe with no area transitions it would be the most dynamic and amazing Trek gaming experience IMO.

I Imagine scenarios where players could spend a week exploring a single solar system, or having transitions to semi-space battles (Moving from Space Combat to Atmospheric Combat with Shuttles to Ground Combat that could cover large terrain. (There are a group of Klingon Ground Troops on the southern continent... go find them)

I imagine that this would probably never happen in a million years, but if enough people thought it was a good idea... you never know, maybe STO just might get in contact with those devs and bring us a whole new world after several years

Thoughts?
looks interesting - but at the rate they're going with comments like:

Quote:
It's been many years since the release of the last video showcasing the seamless planetary engine, so I'm happy to release this new video.
^^^
that was the second most recent developer news updaye to the dite posted on May 4, 2010; with the most recent update done a couple days ago August 13, 2011 taling about shaders, I have to say:

1) It looks very interesting.

but also:

2) At the rate they're proceeding I truely wonder if they'll be able to finish and release the game in my lifetime. (And I'm honestly serious)
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
looks interesting - but at the rate they're going with comments like:

^^^
that was the second most recent developer news updaye to the dite posted on May 4, 2010; with the most recent update done a couple days ago August 13, 2011 taling about shaders, I have to say:

1) It looks very interesting.

but also:

2) At the rate they're proceeding I truely wonder if they'll be able to finish and release the game in my lifetime. (And I'm honestly serious)
I'm sure it's one of those slow going development projects that may or may not ever be completed, but from my understanding the last year was updateless as they were moving from OpenGL to DirectX11 and there wasn't much to post about.

Be something I'll keep watching though...
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by publius_varrus View Post

http://www.infinity-universe.com

Thoughts?
I believe IU is a top-down shooter, single player game. Generating this type of thing is pretty simple for 1 computer/player but trying it for 100,1000 would deff be pushing the edge of hardware technology, esp trying to do it while all 100/1000 players are trying to access the map(s) at the same time
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Okay, sorry you guys, but enough really- really is enough.

After talking to Stormy, we'll now close all threads that are not about STO and talk about other games and flag them as spam. If you wish to talk about other games, you certainly can, but these are not the forums you should use for it.
Closed Thread