Lt. Commander
# 11
08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
that may hagve been Atari doing. can we wait to see what Perfect World Entertainment does.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
My thoughts -

I think Coach Stahl has a much better game plan for the team than anything the crowd siting in their armchairs at home can come up with.
Then why would the game need to rely on the C-store to stay on track? That doesnt sound like a very good game plan for people who actually want things to do when they log in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Nobody disputes that we need more content, the thing is though that rushing stuff out that has problems is worse.
Unfortunately it seems no matter how long they take it still doesnt work right when released. That being the case, I dont see how making people wait a ridiculous amount of time for buggy content is somehow better than waiting a shorter amount of time for buggy content. Either way its buggy and breaks other things when released.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripQue View Post
Recently, dstahl wrote the following:

"STO needs to continually add new items to the C-Store to stay on track financially."

I would respectfully argue:

"STO needs to continually (and rapidly) add new content to the game (thus ensuring new and renewed subscriptions) to stay on track financially."

Thoughts?
Yeah, I saw that comment at it sat with me poorly. The proper philosophy would be "STO needs to continually market and do whatever it takes to retain and/or add subscriptions to stay on track financially". Something Cryptic is not good at doing with this game. As my friend hurleybird is fond of saying "you are doing it wrong"

It also underlines the power of c-store purchases up to this date, based mostly off costumes, respec tokens, some bos and some distinct high-end ships.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-19-2011, 02:57 PM
I think both statements are true. They need to roll out more content, and add more C-store items.

They have implied some things got slowed down by the PW acquisition of cryptic and they are looking at hiring more people as well. I think the September release of more S4 content and the featured episode will help as well. After that it looks like we have some great content down the way for S5 and the next featured episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripQue View Post
Recently, dstahl wrote the following:

"STO needs to continually add new items to the C-Store to stay on track financially."

I would respectfully argue:

"STO needs to continually (and rapidly) add new content to the game (thus ensuring new and renewed subscriptions) to stay on track financially."

Thoughts?
Well i havent seen him say that. But i think if i did read that ide have a pretty grim vision on STO's future. I dont get this modern tendency to put an ingame store in games that already have a monthly sub. :S

Still, i dont regret getting lifetime. Eventhough it prehibits me from "voting with my wallet"
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
....deleted in advanced to prevent any undue misunderstandings and or moderation..
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedricO
Well i havent seen him say that.
Very end of this post:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...32#post3707832
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Unfortunately it seems no matter how long they take it still doesnt work right when released. That being the case, I dont see how making people wait a ridiculous amount of time for buggy content is somehow better than waiting a shorter amount of time for buggy content. Either way its buggy and breaks other things when released.
Oh I agree, in fact I said in my post that quality is more important. They're taking forever though because the dev team is small and has too much on its plate; everybody wants this and that because the game is just so barren for a MMO of this age (the Fed side as what? 50? 55? hours of lore-based gameplay including the FEs, but not including the STFs).

I recognize that programming takes a while and it's not easy to do, but MMO communities are patient with testing and development if they know that the devs are listening. If you release buggy and broken content/stuff and make the community feel like their opinions fall on deaf ears then you're going to drive people away and that's exactly what's been happening.

Rushing stuff out the door has gotten Cryptic nothing but endless complaints, if they want to truly build up the game then the rushing and the half releases have to stop, from there they need to work more closely with the testers of new content to make sure that it's bug free.
Lt. Commander
# 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk_Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
My thoughts -

I think Coach Stahl has a much better game plan for the team than anything the crowd siting in their armchairs at home can come up with.
I agree with this.
I don't know. I've lost a lot of my faith in the man since:
  • He said that the Rhode Island being overpowered was "debatable"
  • And that giving the Enterprise-F all universal slots was a "good idea"
  • The complete lack of PvP development since the launch of the game, despite that fact that PvP is the largest redeeming quality in STO
  • Continually sacrificing subscriptions for C-store revenue
  • Condoning (and probably contributing to) the slippery slope that the C-store is on
  • Neglecting the Klingon faction since launch, despite assurances
  • Prioritizing fluff over actual content

Whether or not Atari was a contributing factor, Dstahl is the man in charge and the current content drought came about under his leadership. STO is his responsibility.

The sad thing to me is that many of the Cryptic employees seem highly competent. Cpn. Logan and others are absolutely awesome. Cryptic is definitely efficient and can certainly execute when the heat is on (just look at how quickly this game was created). It seems to me like the problems in this game are more due to bad decisions coming from upper management, whether it's the department heads, the EP, the people above them that dictate high level strategy and resource allocation -- or some mix of the above.
Lt. Commander
# 20
You are reading far too much into my comment. As I've stated a few times before C-Store revenue allows me the opportunity to have more resources to make more content. Subscriptions are steady and predictable, and when you have regular MT releases, those can become steady and predictable sources of revenue as well. Together, I can make the case that STO brings in X revenue on a steady basis and therefore I would like to hire x number of people (or outsourced assets) to work on improving STO. When the revenue predictions are solid, then it gets approved. When revenue fluxuates, then it becomes more unreliable and requests for assets can be more difficult.

So when we miss our dates to release a new MT, it doesn't break the bank or mean that we aren't afloat. What it does do is add more unpredictable revenue results to my bottom line which then makes it harder for me to maintain team size... etc...