Lt. Commander
# 1 One High Yield, Two Dead
08-19-2011, 06:11 PM
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...y2respawn.jpg/

I was attacking with Cannon Scatter Volley 1 and High Yield 1. The Cruiser (first and second hit) and the BoP (third hit?) were very close together. It's funny because the combat log makes it look like my HY1 had a third Torpedo (although with everything going on I didn't even notice the normal graphical anomaly).

I thought I'd post it up because it was kind of interesting. I was only directly attacking the Cruiser which was the target at the time that I fired off my Torpedoes. When I saw the third, and significantly higher crit, that got me looking back through the log. It's been suggested that it could have just been some AoE.

Could this just be simple AoE? I wonder if the work they are doing on Torpedo Spread might have leaked over a little bit? Maybe this is perfectly normal, but I've never seen anything quite like it (without a Tricobalt being involved).
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Interesting.

I remember reading something wayyyyy back when (around Open Beta-ish) that torpedoes had a very small AoE, could this perhaps be that?

If not, looks like we've got another bug.

As far a third torp, that could just be HYT acting up. For some reason, my HYT 2 today has been firing off 4 torps fairly routinely today. I can't say for sure as to whether this has been happening for a while (as I only starting using HYT 2 days ago) but I've definitely noticed it today.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...y2respawn.jpg/

I was attacking with Cannon Scatter Volley 1 and High Yield 1. The Cruiser (first and second hit) and the BoP (third hit?) were very close together. It's funny because the combat log makes it look like my HY1 had a third Torpedo (although with everything going on I didn't even notice the normal graphical anomaly).

I thought I'd post it up because it was kind of interesting. I was only directly attacking the Cruiser which was the target at the time that I fired off my Torpedoes. When I saw the third, and significantly higher crit, that got me looking back through the log. It's been suggested that it could have just been some AoE.

Could this just be simple AoE? I wonder if the work they are doing on Torpedo Spread might have leaked over a little bit? Maybe this is perfectly normal, but I've never seen anything quite like it (without a Tricobalt being involved).
Even Quantums do, in fact, have a small AoE, I often find that if I am lucky, I will destroy things like Borg/Romulan Heavy Torps just as they are launched, if I land a torpedo right at the same time. It also affects things like the fighters from the Assimilated Carrier in The Cure, since they tend to swarm very close to the Carrier, before they fan out to attack.

So, not a bug, just unusual to see in practice, because the AoE is only .3 - .5 in burst (honestly, not sure what the actual distance is, just know that it is very small).

-Big Red
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-19-2011, 10:27 PM
its a real tight aoe even on transphasics. i used to catch the breen carrier fighters at launch cuz i knew exactly when to fire it off
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Yea I've seen AoEs on regular torps before, it's a real small radius, but it's there...
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Yap, seen it as well long time ago, same thing, poped two ships with THY. I got killed once as well as I was passing over below the ship that was under attack.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I will admit I have also seen other weapons act strangely when things like HY Plasma Torps and Tricobolt torps come towards me.

Where my Cannons, using no Rapid fire, or Rapid fire turned on, will shoot it down while I'm fireing on a different target. Never switching targets. Never check the combat log on that stuff.. wondering if I should go on one day and check.

And I can't say I even noticed what happened to you, Hale, except when it was a Tricobolt torp from the old days.. (Still remember my 3 for 1 90k+ Tricobolt Torpedo when some one just had to ask "What are you going to do now?" XD Really wish I had screen shotted that.. ahh memories..)