Lt. Commander
# 1 Accolade hunting etiquette
08-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Recently I have been going back to the Sirius and Regulas sector block enemy encounters to obtain my accolades. As a Vice Admiral I find it to be a good idea to let the lower rank officers fight their own battles and only intervene when absolutely needed.

I spend most of my time monitoring the lower ranks hull health and jump in when the situation is critical. It is a bit of a challenge to offer a measured response. I try to place my ship in a position so that I will only be able fire a single torpedo to weaken the enemy hull and yet not dominate the situation. I try to be very selective with my targets.

The trick is to assist and not to dominate and offer a measured response. Let the lower ranks enjoy the thrill of killing a flag ship and such.

A good Vice Admiral should support the up in coming players.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I have three tones that are VA now and I restarted from scratch on couple new ones now. I had noticed the I have been seeing VA's come in and just take over and you are right it takes the fun out of it. So when I see a VA jump in or a much higher rank than me I jump out.

But one day I was jump in and found a VA flying around not really shooting anything so I stayed and played the encounter by then I think there was about 5 of us flying around. But what made this fun with the VA was he/she would heal our ships or as you said take on pot shot to help us get the upper hand. I thought this was great and fun.

I pm the person and thanked them or their help. I would like to also state here to them Thank you, I wished I could remember their name, but anyway they made it very fun too play with them in a suport roll.

I wished more of the VA's would play this way and support the lower ranked ships. I know when the time comes I will do the same for them.

And Thank you for playing this way.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Mongoose
I have three tones that are VA now and I restarted from scratch on couple new ones now. I had noticed the I have been seeing VA's come in and just take over and you are right it takes the fun out of it. So when I see a VA jump in or a much higher rank than me I jump out.

But one day I was jump in and found a VA flying around not really shooting anything so I stayed and played the encounter by then I think there was about 5 of us flying around. But what made this fun with the VA was he/she would heal our ships or as you said take on pot shot to help us get the upper hand. I thought this was great and fun.

I pm the person and thanked them or their help. I would like to also state here to them Thank you, I wished I could remember their name, but anyway they made it very fun too play with them in a suport roll.

I wished more of the VA's would play this way and support the lower ranked ships. I know when the time comes I will do the same for them.

And Thank you for playing this way.
That's the way I play with my VA. I go into the DSEs and only offer heals and buffs. I think it's fun. I wish there were more of us out there. Hmmm.... maybe that's what I should make my Fleet be for. It'd be cool to become the Fleet that everyone knows as the DSE healers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-22-2011, 11:10 AM
here is an idea: invite them to your team and tell them to use the sidekicking function to level down.

worth a try?
Lt. Commander
# 5 :)
08-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I am all about taking a well placed pot to help out. Unfortunately I have no heals to offer as I am 100% tactical. The only bad thing about fighting as a VA in the Sirius enemy encounters are the respawn times…Bring your knitting… Zzzzz. lol!
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoe1574 View Post
I am all about taking a well placed pot to help out. Unfortunately I have no heals to offer as I am 100% tactical. The only bad thing about fighting as a VA in the Sirius enemy encounters are the respawn times…Bring your knitting… Zzzzz. lol!
Not even Science Team? Subnucleonic beam must be your worst nightmare.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Not even Science Team? Subnucleonic beam must be your worst nightmare.
sounds like one of those folks with no extra boffs to vary setups...I don't get those folks:p
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
here is an idea: invite them to your team and tell them to use the sidekicking function to level down.
worth a try?
By all means. I would happily sidekick down. While I admit there's some gratification in just wiping the floor with enemy mobs, it gets tiring after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
That's the way I play with my VA. I go into the DSEs and only offer heals and buffs. I think it's fun. I wish there were more of us out there.
Yes and no. I am, after all, in the map for the sole purpose of hunting accolades. The sooner those eight flights are taken out the better :p But if I'm not sidekicked down I won't interfere and "steal the kill" of others so until the mission is over anything not in someone else's sights is fair game. Afterwards though, it's not like I need those heals/buffs for myself. And for those just starting out in STO I think it's a great introduction to what certain abilities are capable of.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-22-2011, 03:17 PM
While leveling my two low level toons, I noticed quite a few V.A. come swooping in and blowing everything up then just simply move on to a new area without giving a moments' pause. Happened twice in one map actually so I followed the guy the last time straight to a flagship he had targeted. I waited until his torpedos dropped the shields then I tractored the flagship, fired my readied subsystem shield targetting and my high yield torps. Creamed the flaship's remaining 3/4 hull, got looting rights and looted before the guy's 2nd wave of torpedos came crashing into the destroyed flaship's hull.. I then switched instances and didn't see him again.

On the flip side, I also had quite a few higher level players come in to my aid several times when I drew too much aggro from ships and save my butt several times with shield transfer and other science/engineer heals and buffs. Those were much welcomed indeed.

This latter is how I usually always am when I am on my V.A. in such situations. I will usually always stay by myself and only intervene if I see a player is getting close to being in a precarious situation. If they're really outnumbered, I'll destroy a few of the ships they hadn't attacked yet and keep their shields healed then let them finish off the rest.

I'd like to see VA instance versions of the enemy contacts, like how we have the VA B'Tran cluster. This could help to keep VA's from interfering with lower levels but still allow those who want to enter them to do so, for whatever reason.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-22-2011, 03:24 PM
They just need to level band them, do it the same way they did the old open fleet actions.