Lt. Commander
# 971
08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Just confirmed with Dstahl about this to make sure I wasn't about to lie to you guys; the current plan is for most currencies to get folded into the new currency; Honor/Merit WILL be sticking around, as will latinum and energy credits. It was just a mixup with badges of exploration and similar currencies. (Yes, even we get mixed up internally between all the currencies, ergo the move to simplify things.)
As I understand it there are 17 currencies currently and after September 22 there will be 4?

If I'm correct:
3 Remaining - Energy credits, Gold-presssed latinum, Merits/Honor
1 Added - Dilithium (name is tentative)
13 Recategorized into dilithium - Badges of Exploration (1st-5th Order), Medals (all 5), Marks (Valor, Exploration, Honor), Emblems

Interestingly enough, Badges/Medals/Marks/Emblems are all listed in one category on the inventory page. I think this 4 currency solution would be great -- you have energy credits for typical gear, merits/honor for renames, training, and respec services, latinum for vanity items, and dilithium for special gear, C-Store items, and perhaps convenience options.
Lt. Commander
# 972
08-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Yes, the assignment system is intended to provide significant - albeit optional - sinks to the game. Currently assignments can require:
  • Energy Credits
  • Data Samples
  • Commodities
  • Tribbles
  • Certain mission/assignment-specific items, such as prototypes or schematics
  • Prisoners

...I probably am forgetting a few rarer cases, as well.
Fantastic, I've been stockpiling all of them over the summer just incase they were gonna be used in the DoFF system, will be nice to get some bank space back, lol

I'm intrigued with the new currency changes. i would maybe suggest that if possable the currency changes should be put on Redshirt, that way the lucky few that get selected to test the DoFF system on there can also test how the system works in regards to the new currencies (as it sounds like the 2 system are quite deeply connected), it could be nasty to bring the DoFF system in and then alter the currency system and find the DoFF system needs rebalancing! (I'm assuming redshirt would be NDA'd so that any issues would not get blown out of proportion like sometimes happens with stuff been tested on tribble).
Lt. Commander
# 973
08-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Yes, the assignment system is intended to provide significant - albeit optional - sinks to the game. Currently assignments can require:
  • Energy Credits
  • Data Samples
  • Commodities
  • Tribbles
  • Certain mission/assignment-specific items, such as prototypes or schematics
  • Prisoners

...I probably am forgetting a few rarer cases, as well.
Tribbles? Plain ones, or uncommon, rare etc? I have a bank full of random uncommon tribbles, my tribblearium. They have never seen daylight in the hopes of breeding a hitherto unseen albino tribble. They may see daylight!
Lt. Commander
# 974
08-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Does each assignment give the same amount of XP or is it based on length of assignment such as a 15 min assignment gives 1 XP and a 2 day assignment gives 20 XP?
Lt. Commander
# 975
08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
This is off on a total tangent, but if EC is remaing (and it looks like Emblems are too with DStahl's earlier comment about being able to auction Emblems for C-Points between players); it seems that we're still going to have A LOT of diffrent currwencies remaing. I was hoping/expecting a lot more currency 'compaction as it were.
Emblems are. in fact. being folded into the new currency (name TBD). It will be the new currency that can be auctioned between players with C-Points.

As I understand it, the final list of currencies will be:
  • New Currency
  • C-Store Points
  • Energy Units
  • Merit/Honor
  • Latinum

Everything else I believe will be folded into the new currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
Tribbles? Plain ones, or uncommon, rare etc? I have a bank full of random uncommon tribbles, my tribblearium. They have never seen daylight in the hopes of breeding a hitherto unseen albino tribble. They may see daylight!
There are some genesplicing tribble assignments (and I have been working to come up with ideas for other uses for tribbles) that change a tribble to a random other tribble of the same tier. We have talked about coming up with a new tribble for the system as well, but that's very drawing board-ish at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
I'm intrigued with the new currency changes. i would maybe suggest that if possable the currency changes should be put on Redshirt, that way the lucky few that get selected to test the DoFF system on there can also test how the system works in regards to the new currencies (as it sounds like the 2 system are quite deeply connected), it could be nasty to bring the DoFF system in and then alter the currency system and find the DoFF system needs rebalancing! (I'm assuming redshirt would be NDA'd so that any issues would not get blown out of proportion like sometimes happens with stuff been tested on tribble).
For the most part, the duty officer system is not expected to have problems with the economy revamp, as assignments don't generally give emblems, badges or marks, which are the primary currencies being folded into each other. Pretty much every currency remaining and many of the numerics (e.g., skill points, bridge officer points, DXP) are being rewarded through duty officer assignments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Does each assignment give the same amount of XP or is it based on length of assignment such as a 15 min assignment gives 1 XP and a 2 day assignment gives 20 XP?
The specific formula for this is messy and involves a lot of data look-up, but for practical purposes, assignments give an amount of skill points and other numerics based on the time it takes to complete the assignment, the cost of inputs such as commodities or energy credits, the chance of death or injury to any duty officers put on the assignment, the rarity of the assignment, the specificity of the duty officers required for the assignment, and the difficulty of achieving a successful outcome.

Time works on a diminishing per capita schema, meaning that a 24 hour assignment will reward more numerics than a 12 hour assignment, but the 12 hour assignment will reward more numerics on a per second basis than the 24 hour assignment - that is, it will net you more to run two 12 hour assignments than one 24 hour assignment, but a single 24 hour assignment will still net somewhat more than a 12 hour assignment.

In general, however, rewards from time fall off severely after about a day.
Lt. Commander
# 976
08-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Quote:
[...]

Yes, with a (very) few exceptions.

[...]
If we cancel a Doff-mission will we get back what we invested? Or will we lose everything/get only some of it back? In the later case is time the important factor? (The longer the mission run the less you get back).

Will there be (very) rare/difficult missions which give C-Store points after a critical success?
Lt. Commander
# 977
08-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampir888 View Post
If we cancel a Doff-mission will we get back what we invested? Or will we lose everything/get only some of it back? In the later case is time the important factor? (The longer the mission run the less you get back).

Will there be (very) rare/difficult missions which give C-Store points after a critical success?
If you cancel a duty officer assignment, you get back any inputs, yes. The only loss you incur is the time investment.

There are currently no assignments that give C-Store points/new currency points, but it is something that has been discussed.
Lt. Commander
# 978
08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Emblems are. in fact. being folded into the new currency (name TBD). It will be the new currency that can be auctioned between players with C-Points.
a little off topic and you may not be able to talk about it yet but how exactly will the auction work? will it be like the exchange is now?

so i go out and grind 500 units of (insert currency name) then i place them on the exchange and then what?

a) people bid for them for a set period of time and the highest bidder wins (like e-bay).

b) or i set the price i want say 1000 c points for 500 (much like the exchange is now) and i just wait until someone buys them.

c) or its a 1 point per 1 unit conversion, so that people dont start asking outrageous prices.

d) or is it just like a trade between two people and they decide the value?

or something totally different?
Lt. Commander
# 979
08-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Heretic- will there be any time limit on claiming a completed DOFF assignment?

For example, I look at the system of growing crops in a game called We Rule (I guess it's like Farmville, but I've never played that) on iOS. In WR, you grow crops over varying time periods, with varying corresponding rewards, similar to how you're describing this system. But if a crop completes and you don't harvest within an allotted timeperiod, the crop dies and you lose the initial investment.
Lt. Commander
# 980
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Some recruitment assignments are generic, some are aimed at particular species or divisions; those aimed at particular species are generally either rarer or only show up in certain sectors.
There will (possibly) even be assignments aimed at specific species? This whole thing sounds better the more you are talking about it.

Once all of this has gone live (including Dept. Heads and XO) and you've ironed out any issues, you should really think about also doing an "Admiral's version" of this whole concept, using ships and small squadrons rather than duty officers, as part of the endgame. I'm sure it would rock and the general principle sounds fairly compatible (could also serve as a "moneydump" when paying resources for requisitioned ships that may get lost or damaged during assignments similar to how it works with duty officers).

Will we also be able to send BOs on assignments, by the way? Or will they be limited to the role of Department Heads?