Lt. Commander
# 1 Soyuz Class
08-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Now that Netflix has the Star Trek series streaming, I've forced myself to sit down and watch straight through. I just watched through the TNG episode where the ship is caught in some sort of static bubble/rift/anomaly something or other and collides with the Soyuz class USS Bozeman captained by Kelsey Grammer.

Cryptic could easily introduce the Soyuz class as a Miranda refit (as opposed to retrofit, I think I got that straight?) while maintaining "continuity". It's not that far off from the standard Miranda structurally (I recall artillery in place of the roll bar), so there shouldn't be too much in the way of extra design work to do. With said artillery in mind, maybe that could garner an extra tactical console slot and/or unique tactical console, perhaps with a rapid-fire boost or something of that nature. The Soyuz could even just be another skin for the standard Miranda.

I'm not proposing it to be knock-your-socks-off, just something that (presumably) would be easy to implement that could add some extra immersion to the game. I know there are many anti-light cruiser folks out there with the argument that you realistically wouldn't/shouldn't see light cruisers in abundance due to age/time line issues, and while that may be sound, I could never help but notice that it seemed any ship featured in an episode (with physical model) was either a light cruiser or Oberth class vessel, at least in TNG. Okay I'm totally rambling now, so I will stop.

Any thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Those "turrets" are sensor arrays, not artillery.
I wonder how artillery in space ouwl work anyway.
I also wonder why everyone looks at the ship and thinks "barrels = guns".

The entire Soyuz class line was retired from service before the time of Star Trek 6 (as was mentioned in the TNG episode), meaning the Bozeman was quite literally an anachronism when it reappeared from the temporal anomaly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-23-2011, 10:27 AM
The Bozeman was however repurposed enough to take part in the Battle with the Borg in First Contact, so its not that much of a stretch.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
I would like that ship added as an additional Tier 1 frigate skin, in addition to Sisko's Saratoga with the side pods.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-23-2011, 06:29 PM
If anything, the Soyuz (TNG w/ sensor masts and hull extension) should be a SCI-leaning version of the Miranda (according to soft canon the Soyuz was a Border Patrol Vessel meant to intercept smugglers and pirates thus all the sensor masts)
and the Saratoga (DS9 version w/ side mounted BFGs)should be a TAC variant

I would love to see the Excalibur (T2 Cruiser) Nacelles made available as an option for the Miranda/Centaur/ShiKahr
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Those "turrets" are sensor arrays, not artillery.
I wonder how artillery in space ouwl work anyway.
I also wonder why everyone looks at the ship and thinks "barrels = guns".

The entire Soyuz class line was retired from service before the time of Star Trek 6 (as was mentioned in the TNG episode), meaning the Bozeman was quite literally an anachronism when it reappeared from the temporal anomaly.
Maybe beacuse the component they are sticking out of looks something like a turret from a battleship
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
The Soyuz-class is older than the Miranda. I think the version we saw in Cause and Effect was a retrofit, and that the Soyuz-class was originally like a TOS version of a Miranda. If you look into it you'll find that the Soyuz-class was retired in the 2280s. Constitutions were decommissioned in the 2290s, so it seems like the Soyuz would have originated at or before the Constitution-class.

Soyuz-class being commissioned around 2230ish would precede the Constitutions being build in the 2240s, so those ships had ~50 year in service (excluding STO of course).

It might make a cool TOS addition, with an original TOS model and a retrofit variant skin available in the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-24-2011, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepymarine View Post
If anything, the Soyuz (TNG w/ sensor masts and hull extension) should be a SCI-leaning version of the Miranda (according to soft canon the Soyuz was a Border Patrol Vessel meant to intercept smugglers and pirates thus all the sensor masts)
and the Saratoga (DS9 version w/ side mounted BFGs)should be a TAC variant

I would love to see the Excalibur (T2 Cruiser) Nacelles made available as an option for the Miranda/Centaur/ShiKahr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
It might make a cool TOS addition, with an original TOS model and a retrofit variant skin available in the C-Store.
I agree whole heartily on adding more ship part customization options!
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychus0
The Bozeman was however repurposed enough to take part in the Battle with the Borg in First Contact, so its not that much of a stretch.
You mean a ship called "Bozeman" took part in that battle.
(BTW the place in Montana where Cochrane built his ship was also called Bozeman and co-author of "First Contact" Brannon Braga is from Bozeman)

The only ship we saw that resembled the Bozeman was a standard Miranda, leaving several possibilities, among them that the Bozeman in that movie was a different ship or that the Bozeman was reconstructed as a regular Miranda.