Lt. Commander
# 1021
08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchery_ View Post
I think Territory Control should be a part of PvP exclusively; and since there will be a LOT more Feds than KDFs that endeavor such assignments (or so I imagine), the numbers would require some “balancing” which is achieved through PvP matches.

On the other hand, I can totally see some sort of “Diplomatic PvP” involving DOFFs in short-term assigments, such as “see that the ambassador feels well in his querters” or “give our guests a tour of the station” and “place that surveillance device in the ambassador’s quarters” or stuff like that. Are there any plans to include DOFF PvP?
A separate system then, that separates military might from political influence?
Lt. Commander
# 1022
08-23-2011, 11:19 AM
"Example Specializations
Tactical: Conn Officer, Energy Weapons Officer, Shield Distribution Officer
Security: Security Officer, Assault Squad Officer, Armory Officer
Engineering: Diagnostic Engineer, Fabrication Engineer, Warp Core Engineer
Operations: Flight Deck Officer, Quartermaster, Explosives Expert, Tractor Beam Officer
Science: Astrometrics Scientist, Warp Theorist, Botanist, Research Lab Scientist
Medical: Doctor, Nurse, EMH, Biochemist, Counselor
Civilian: Bartender, Chef, Trader, Diplomat, Prisoner, Colonist"

Can you give a more specific example of what the use or benefit of a Bartender,or chef might be? will it grant buffs like a state dinner that boast diplomatic exp, or just an unlimited provider of banana pancakes? If the Doff Chef is a Catitan will they come with a full body hair net its a must with a species with biannual shedding.
Lt. Commander
# 1023
08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Territory Control could happen through a combination of PvP and PvE means, with some cross-pollination.

As for the Duty Officer System, I'm excited to see where else it could be used in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 1024
08-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
As for the Duty Officer System, I'm excited to see where else it could be used in the game.
The Duty Officer System could be used to send officers on sabotage missions to destroy structures on enemy Fleet Starbases and could also be used to send officers on espionage missions to gather intelligence as well as steal research data from enemy Fleet Starbases.

See my sig link for more info on the Fleet Starbase Summary Concept Beta.
Lt. Commander
# 1025
08-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker1973
Can you give a more specific example of what the use or benefit of a Bartender,or chef might be? will it grant buffs like a state dinner that boast diplomatic exp, or just an unlimited provider of banana pancakes? If the Doff Chef is a Catitan will they come with a full body hair net its a must with a species with biannual shedding.
Bartenders and chefs are requirements for a few specific assignments, most notably a few where you are entertaining dignitaries; in addition, we are exploring ways of tailoring what kinds of food and drink your replicator can provide to rely on what bartenders and chefs of what species you have on your reserve roster (don't worry, we're not going to make you actually slot a bartender or chef onto your active roster - that'd be just mean).

As time goes on, we're going to explore additional mechanics to take advantages of all aspects of the system, including civilian personnel such as bartenders and chefs.
Lt. Commander
# 1026
08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
In addition, we are exploring ways of tailoring what kinds of food and drink your replicator can provide to rely on what bartenders and chefs of what species you have on your reserve roster (don't worry, we're not going to make you actually slot a bartender or chef onto your active roster - that'd be just mean).
Wow, that sounds awesome! I mean, it'd be neat enough just as an atmospheric addition, but you if you guys built it right, it could be used for more advanced tribble crafting; which, then, feed back into the Duty Officer/Assignment system.
Lt. Commander
# 1027
08-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Bartenders and chefs are requirements for a few specific assignments, most notably a few where you are entertaining dignitaries; in addition, we are exploring ways of tailoring what kinds of food and drink your replicator can provide to rely on what bartenders and chefs of what species you have on your reserve roster (don't worry, we're not going to make you actually slot a bartender or chef onto your active roster - that'd be just mean).

As time goes on, we're going to explore additional mechanics to take advantages of all aspects of the system, including civilian personnel such as bartenders and chefs.
Wow, it sounds like you guys thought of all kinds of things for BOFF's to do. In addition to entertaining and so on, perhaps in the long run Chef's and bartenders could also have an improvement on crew moral. The better or higher the quality the chef the better the food and the better moral on a ship would be. Neelix obviously had an impact on the crew of Voyager in the way he prepared meals. Voyager might be a bad example because of where they were, but a ship in normal space would obviously have access to better cooks and chefs. After all not everyone like a replicated meal, especially on the Klingon side.
Lt. Commander
# 1028
08-23-2011, 08:53 PM
"Don't serve Romulan Ale at diplomatic dinners."

How is the active roster set up? Will all ships of the same tier have the same number of Doff slots to assign? Or will they be similar to BOs in that Cruisers will have more engineering type slots available while Science will have more science type slots?
Lt. Commander
# 1029
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
I know we are thinking more long term when it comes to DH stuff but it is my understanding that there will only be the 6 main DHs plus a First officer. Would it be possible to open up some of these duty officer tags, such as Chef or Councilor, to be applied to some of our Boffs?

My thinking here is this tag would do nothing stat wise but it would influence, where someone might sit or hang out on your ship and the tag itself might be accessible via foundry or cryptic made missions.
Lt. Commander
# 1030
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:

I'd like the option to. Give 'em food and tribble fabrication powers, fabrications that provide bank and replicator access, maybe limited medic powers.

Y'know... Make them multiclass "convenience service" BOs. Y'know, maybe the convenience sides of each class but without any of the standard offensive stuff.

What I'm thinking, overall, is fabrications that supply items (because they're merchants), very basic medical support (they can wield a hypo), and an overwatch type ability representing the pluck/courage/distraction capability they have.

Basically... a sidekick multiclass BO. Non-trainable. Light on offensive stuff. Master of convenience and distraction but no signature offensive powers.

I'm thinking this could actually be a case where advancing in "Hospitality" awards you this special BO, who you can place as your Chief Morale Officer (ala Neelix). So it's a department head for Entertainers (dancers/singers), bartenders, and cooks, filling that Quark/Guinan/Neelix/Chef role. And you get the BO as a reward for managing this type of DO well.

I'm thinking they'd get a basic choice of NON-UNIFORM outfits. They'd come from a pool of standard hospitality centered species. (El Aurean, Risan, Ferengi, Orion, Photonic.) You could maybe introduce nutty stuff down the road as C-Store upgrades for the morale officer like the Windtalker from the Parallax Colony, Leonardo Da Vinci, or the White Rabbit from the Shore Leave Planet.

You might op to give them a standard class and just get special morale based traits but I think the idea of making them multiclass would be cool. Among other things, it would likely mean they would generally be limited to use on away teams and on ships with universal BO slots. Which kinda fits; a ship with universal slots like a shuttle or Klingon ship might have more exotic non-military personnel manning consoles, firing weapons, etc. based on what we saw in the shows. Consider Soran as your example of a civilian in a command role on a BoP. Then think of all the civilian sidekicks on the shows and how they almost never were put in charge of a bridge console on a ship but could serve on shuttles.