Lt. Commander
# 1051
08-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
snip snip...

(I use internal tools to force updating for development purposes. Just impatient.)

Once you've begun an assignment, of course, it doesn't matter if the sector block you got it from refreshes.
Can we haz those tools if we become impatient? :p
Lt. Commander
# 1052
08-25-2011, 05:38 AM
Is there some sort of reward/commendation/progression limitation that forces us to specialize in a particular area (or a handful of areas)? Or is it theoretically possible to "win the Duty Officer game" and get every bonus possible while continuously scoring new items and bridge/duty officers?
Lt. Commander
# 1053
08-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Note that for sector block assignments you only need to be in that sector block to begin the assignment - you can continue them in another sector block or even logged out, and you can get the results of a completed assignment from any sector block, not just the one where you initiated that assignment.
Are there any plans to put a DOff system interface on the STO website so we can do limited DOff stuff even while, say, at work? I realize something like that wouldn't offer complete functionality but just being able to check current DOff assignment progress (or even take on new assignments, within reason) while not logged in would be cool.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 1054
08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Quote:
We're still working out the entire plan for how to introduce this. As you guys know, we're very tight on content resources at the moment, so right now we're trying to figure out the most efficient way that won't delay rollout of the system to teach people how to use the system.
Well I plan on making one in the Foundry once I've got enough time to get the basics down since I imagine most of the real testing will be balance and checking to make sure passives actually work and assignments work, etc. Videos never truly help folks like me because they're awkward to go back and forth on facts for some people. Having a Foundry mission with Dialog you can read side by side with the interface is much better for those of us who learn better by reading than being dictated to.

Quote:
The Redshirt beta has a preliminary list of people who will be sent invites compiled, but even if you aren't on it I wouldn't worry too much - the Redshirt beta will likely only be a three week or so head start, then it will go on Tribble where any player can check the system out for another month or so before the system goes live.
I'll give you my wife's dog if you get me in on that

Quote:
Are there any plans to put a DOff system interface on the STO website so we can do limited DOff stuff even while, say, at work? I realize something like that wouldn't offer complete functionality but just being able to check current DOff assignment progress (or even take on new assignments, within reason) while not logged in would be cool.
I hear it's been mentioned but would require additional resources. However, with PW they may like the idea of say, selling an iPad/Phone app that allows users to do this. I'd pay 5 bucks for such an app on my phone or pad...

Quote:
The way it works is you have a set of "Shipboard" assignments and "Sector" (actually, sector block) assignments.
Was this changed, I recall you specifically saying each "sector (not sector block)" in a post somewhere in this thread. Or have I finally lost all real memory? The latter is entirely possible.
Lt. Commander
# 1055
08-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post

Z
Yes 1000 times yes, and make the site mobile friendly so I do it on my droid when I'm on a job.
Lt. Commander
# 1056
08-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Will the various commendation levels have an effect on future episodes. For example, if I am a tactical officer at tier1 in the science commendation, would I be able to complete the science objective for Stranded in Space? Having tiers in the Science commendation could work for the science objectives. Tiers in the Engineering commendation could work for the engineering objectives and tiers in the Military commendation could work for the tactical objective. Might even be possible to have the objectives require a minimum tier like Stranded in Space requires Tier 1 and Mine Enemy requires Tier 2.
Lt. Commander
# 1057
08-25-2011, 12:44 PM
I haven't read all of this thread yet... presently on page 33...

wanted to throw my two cents in on the shuttles launching VFX

What if, instead if Visuals of shuttles, there were audio cues.

you could recruit a few cryptic employees to record short voice-overs

Eng. heavy missions:
"Cargo stowed and Secured Ops, request clearance to depart"

Sci. heavy missions:
"Stasis field holding on internal power, standing by for departure clearance"

Tac. heavy mission:
"Once more into the breech gentlemen"

More general cues could come from your Comm Officer:
(Addressing player) "Shuttlecraft Spock has gone to warp"
(Addressing the departing Doffs) "Godspeed shuttlecraft Omega"

Or your engineer:
"Crew transfer complete, Warp speed available at your discretion Captain."

I'm assuming that you can make references to canon characters without too much hassle, (e.g. naming a shuttlecraft after a canon character, or making a trransfer to a famous canon ship, such as the Enterprise, Defiant, Etc.)

If about 20 or so sound bites can be created, you can play one when a player "Commits" Doffs and resources to a mission.
Lt. Commander
# 1058
08-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Will the various commendation levels have an effect on future episodes. For example, if I am a tactical officer at tier1 in the science commendation, would I be able to complete the science objective for Stranded in Space? Having tiers in the Science commendation could work for the science objectives. Tiers in the Engineering commendation could work for the engineering objectives and tiers in the Military commendation could work for the tactical objective. Might even be possible to have the objectives require a minimum tier like Stranded in Space requires Tier 1 and Mine Enemy requires Tier 2.
I get where you're coming from, but I think it would defeat the purpose of class-based objectives.

Plus imagine what it might be like with Science officers reading dialogue meant for an Engineering officer, for example.

Personally, though, I think missions should be designed around this kind of "Pick Your Path" story line anyway. If I feel like trying the Tactical option as a Science officer I should be able to do that, possibly with some disadvantage.
Lt. Commander
# 1059
08-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Wait. I've rethought this a bit.

What if, instead of a mission objective, you had the option to start a DO Assignment during the mission?

"This is the Captain. Beam over a Medical Team, immediately!"

If the assignment is successful, you get the accolade. If not, maybe you lost some of your DO's to environmental hazards.

I know that's not a near-term thing, but it would be sweet.
Lt. Commander
# 1060
08-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Is there going to be a comprehensive tutorial for the Duty Officer system? It looks interesting but I think we need more then a 2 minute video to explain it all to us when it launches.
I don't know about the devs but I could either do a series of video tutorials (like I did when the Foundry launched) or created a nice walk-through in Adobe InDesign and create a PDF.

The STO community is pretty good at filling gaps in documentation, whether oversight or due to resource constraints.