Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 441
08-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutedge View Post
Seriously after reading the last two pages of this thread, I hope the big announcement is that they're shutting the game down immediately and cancelling all accounts.

They need to just close this thread and get it over with. It's gone about as far downhill as it ever will at this point.

Why bother.
wow, want all of the devs to lose their jobs? thats pretty cruel.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 442
08-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
wow, want all of the devs to lose their jobs? thats pretty cruel.
I have to agree. That is cruel. I don't want them to lose their jobs either. I just want them to actually d....nevermind. The thing is this...all hope is not lost. And the reason I say this is because for PWI to spend the money they did and let a considerable portion of their investment come up dry would be insane. I doubt they'd let that happen.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 443
08-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
wow, want all of the devs to lose their jobs? thats pretty cruel.
Eh I was being factitious, although sometimes I wonder when I go to the forums and everyone is screaming simultaneously that Cryptic is failing because they aren't releasing content on time and that all they care about is getting things on time and that they don't do enough testing and things would go better if they put it in testing sooner.

Who knows. Maybe we'll have answers soon. Maybe we won't. I just don't understand the rage anymore, and I come to the forums to try to get more information on content that I hope is coming sooner than later, and then having to wade through pages upon pages about how people aren't getting their fifteen dollars worth of service from Cryptic.

With this kind of content delay, I would bet dollars to dilithium that it's going f2p. I mean, we all know it. It's the same process that happened to DDO, LOTRO, and all the other f2p conversions. Dev team goes somewhat silent, content stops, then f2p. Let's hope at least, because the game is leaps and bounds better than the game I paid for a lifetime sub for and then promptly stopped playing because I didn't think it was worth it.

We'll see.


edit: i still hold that they should close this thread
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 444
08-26-2011, 12:18 AM
it will be nice to know what they have been doing that has pushed their schedule back a couple of months. i think the smart money is on some free to play conversion work, as really what else can it realistically be? if its more content then why not just say it. i have no issue with f2p but i do hope its something more interesting, as f2p is a little dull with it being spoken and speculated about for months.

we'll see soon enough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 445
08-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The next Ask Cryptic and Engineering Report should be epic.
"You want it all, but you can't have it"?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 446
08-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Well, to be fair:

- They made the Season 4 deadline (and the stuff that was delayed there was know well before S4 hit)

- There were a lot of bugs yes, but S4 is pretty much under control and they continue to move forward.

- From March through August Cryptic future itself was uncertain (there was the offer from PWE in June, but closing it took two months, and Dan stated there was some times when it was believed the PWE deal would fall apart.

- During the period of March to August, Atari was doing the BARE MINIMUM to fund day to day Cryptic operations (they couldn't back fill positions, couldn't maintain computers, and didn't even have cups)

And with all that, they were able to get the Ground 2.0, Qo'Nos revamp, various UI revamps, the SFA zone, the 'Doomsday Device' mission Re master (it is honestly a new mission) done pretty much on schedule. Now, that the PWI deal has closed and we're hearing (and seeing by the fact that Cryptic is hiring again) that PWE is going to support Cryptic in its game development (and STO); the fact is, it's going to take time to hire the new people, train the new people, assign the new people, and get them up to speed. Right now, Cryptic's STO team is what Atari left them with, and they have to continue development, train the new folks; and work with PWE to create a development schedule that fits their's and PWE's goals, and makes efficient use of the resources PWE is going to give them.

^^^
That's going to take a while. It's not going to all happen in a week. i would expect that by January, we (the players) will start to see the results of what the new parent company is providing, but it's still going to be a bit slow as they recover from Atari's under funding over the last 5 months. Welcome to wholesale Corporate sell offs. I'm pretty sure they were as annoyed and frustrated as we are; and yes, we're paying them for the game and the service; but the situation they were in is what it is, and it's going to take some more time to get over that and into (hopefully) the better situation under PWE. If you're annoyed that the game has no new content; unsub for a few months and come back if/when you see something you like going into the game. If you're an LTS - take a break, as again, the situation will take some more time to quantitatively improve. Continuously berating the Dev teams for a lot of things that were beyond their control isn't going to make them want to continue open lines of communication or help your mode or the ongoing situation in general. this is their lively hood, I think they want to do the best they can to make it better and attract more players; and keep the existing ones wanting to play.
Thank you for this. I'm just as frustrated as any player, but want to communicate as much as I can about where we are at and how we are progressing. Other than the lack of new mission content, we have actually overhauled quite a bit of the game in the last several months, and we've been working on a lot of new features that you are about to start seeing released.

So while it does take time to hire back up, things are going to happen faster than you speculate above. We have a big update planned for September and the Feature Series coming in October which will run through November, and then a quick Holiday before we get back to more content and features.

We've been meeting regularly with Perfect World and over the next several weeks I'll be sharing our plans and continuing to communicate as much as I can.

In the meantime, I'm working with the team to get the Borg stuff into gear because most of it was supposed to release this last month and most of it slipped way past schedule due to some internal issues.

I'm addressing those issues as fast as possible and getting things back on track so we can have a great Holiday season in STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 447
08-26-2011, 01:38 AM
There's lots of content in STO right now, and content you haven't experienced before. New missions? I have 4 in my signature.

SNAP! The Foundry's back baby!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 448
08-26-2011, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Thank you for this. I'm just as frustrated as any player, but want to communicate as much as I can about where we are at and how we are progressing. Other than the lack of new mission content, we have actually overhauled quite a bit of the game in the last several months, and we've been working on a lot of new features that you are about to start seeing released.

So while it does take time to hire back up, things are going to happen faster than you speculate above. We have a big update planned for September and the Feature Series coming in October which will run through November, and then a quick Holiday before we get back to more content and features.

We've been meeting regularly with Perfect World and over the next several weeks I'll be sharing our plans and continuing to communicate as much as I can.

In the meantime, I'm working with the team to get the Borg stuff into gear because most of it was supposed to release this last month and most of it slipped way past schedule due to some internal issues.

I'm addressing those issues as fast as possible and getting things back on track so we can have a great Holiday season in STO.
I can't speak for anyone when I say this. With all do respect Dan, if you want to see me happy...tell me the whole Tier x.5 thing was just a misunderstanding (and that this is true not just corporate speak) and I'll be doing the snoopydance all up and down this forum.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 449
08-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
Cranking out new ships is fine...listening to feedback on said ships and balancing them is better.
I wish they were producing more ship costumes instead of ship statistics. The process is just that much faster, because you don't have to go through all the hub-hub of of testing the new mechanical features and the like, and we could avoid a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over balance concerns..

But of course, the need to add "value" to our purchase...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 450
08-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanManChu
I can't speak for anyone when I say this. With all do respect Dan, if you want to see me happy...tell me the whole Tier x.5 thing was just a misunderstanding (and that this is true not just corporate speak) and I'll be doing the snoopydance all up and down this forum.
And an actual answer on why the blue phaser banks have been nerfed into near uselessness would be nice, too. At least an acknowledgement, something, anything.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:14 PM.