Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 91
08-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
1. What ship(s) did you fly as you ranked up? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
Cruiser, Advanced Heavy Cruiser and Heavy Escort, Exploration Cruiser, Assault Cruiser, Exploration Retrofit.
Primarily PVE solo. The level matching thing is very accommodating for group play but it's only competitive for its social aspect, It never matched my solo levelling rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
2. What ship(s) do you fly at cap? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
I 'main' with the Galaxy-R in PvE, the Assault Cruiser and its designated boffs undergo frequent refit and retraining as I try to find a PvP fitting that I like better than taking my Galaxy into PvP. And I want to find a use for the Star Cruiser I bought other than as a display stand for a dust sheet.

The differences between the three just aren't enough to make it worth my time going to a shipyard to change ships when I want to fly different cruiser styles, and you really need to make the game remember boff station assignments per-ship so that we don't have to re-assign everyone each change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
3. Which ship(s) do you think are currently overpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
In PvE, sticking all-beam arrays on the cruiser and [adv]heavy cruisers and getting the abilities to keep the power levels up makes everything too easy. It's not as fast as killing with escorts but you broadside your way through everything and never break a sweat about survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
4. Which ship(s) do you think are currently underpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
A lot of people say that the Galaxy-R is underpowered; I disagree but I'd rather say I'm the one getting it wrong and see it buffed :p. I'd agree that its joined mode is completely redundant compared to its separated mode, and it makes me question the usefulness of the 900 crew that go gallivanting off with the saucer when things get serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
5. What feature of your favorite ships do you like the most? As in, console configurations, station configurations, aesthetics, special abilities, etc.?
I like the saucer sep, it's fun and gimmicky... but it's also a no-brainer. In PvP having it attached is 'weak mode' and I sometimes reattach it to get the cooldown started early if I think I'm going into a suicide confrontation or losing an attrition battle. In PvE the only reason to keep it on is because some encounters are so easy that you don't need to turn the ship anyway. Makes you realise why the Enterprise-D never had a dedicated helmsman until Ensign Ro, and she was always in a bad mood and eventually left. :p

In terms of consoles... I honestly don't feel I'm ever "missing" anything no matter what ship I take. Tactical choices are obvious, Engineering and Science are more dependent on your strategy but still wind down to pretty straightforward decisions. I don't think about it because there's nothing to think about. This is mainly because of the lack of clarity on what the stats do - I can either buy and try or do some maths and googling. I'd rather play more Star Trek with a slightly inefficient setup.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 92
08-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
1. What ship(s) did you fly as you ranked up? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
1. With first Tact Capt and Eng Capt I used Cruisers. Though the Tact has lost complete favor. Have played Science and Stuck with SVs though I'm thinking Eng might do this later too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
2. What ship(s) do you fly at cap? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
-- At Cap: Sovereign, Emissary/Avenger, and Excesior-Retrofit. Sovy, in both, Star Cruiser in Group, Excelsior Solo, Galaxy only testing phase for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
3. Which ship(s) do you think are currently overpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
-- Amongst types, any cruiser that can pop BOTH Emergency Power to Weapons and Shields (I or II doesn't matter) and chain constantly. Yes we're tanks, but that is a bit over-the-top. I can understand chaining one, but not two (and I only chain one because I can devote power to one system and max it out anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
4. Which ship(s) do you think are currently underpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
-- Trying to be honest here: Turnrates for Cruisers is only marginally out of shape. In order of nimbleness it should be (while not far off at present): Excelsior > Assault Cruiser > Star Cruiser/Galaxy-Retrofit > Galaxy-X. I say this because, based on overall inferred mass and crew capacity. And it shouldn't be by much of anything as is. But the problem is that Galaxy-Rs, Galaxy-Xs need more balancing to match the low turnrate. I have never, once had problems, serious or otherwise, getting some performance out of my ship. Partly because turnrate is not a major consideration for my cruiser mentality. But what the Star Cruiser has, is the ability to compensate with Sci Ability. The Sovereign makes up with being able to pick from Beam Overload, Tactical Team, Beam Fire at Will. The three I use and sometimes Torpedo Spread. Something needs to be added to the Engineering powers, or the overall stats of a cruiser to make the lazy turns of a cruiser viable for them. But unless you fix the turnrate on all Cruisers, then please don't fix any of them. I don't necessarily always want to turn. Another bone to pick is that for Tanks, there is little threat from a cruiser in the game. FAW draws the crowds, I pop Feedback Pulse for more DPS to keep threat upsure, but shouldn't we have a innate threat gen? To be honest I'm not even sure FbkP I actually registers for threat, LOL! Or a Cruiser-Only beam array that builds threat? I almost prefer the second so that those of us that want to tank can draw fire if we choose while those cruisers that don't can opt out. This has me currently speced into an off-tank fleet support which is fun, but I can't keep the attention of hardly anything beyond the opening minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
5. What feature of your favorite ships do you like the most? As in, console configurations, station configurations, aesthetics, special abilities, etc.?
I generally have strayed away from the Excelsior and Galaxy, by principle I won't get the Galaxy-X. My favorites to fly are by far the Sovereign and my Avenger/Emissary mix. The configurations in many cases do not blend well with other types. Even sometimes when they may, the seams do not match completely. The extra configurations are okay. The newer ship models are superior to what we started with so they look great by comparison. But we seriously lack some things going on here too. No Warp Core slot for popping in a Covariant-esque high powered Warp Core, a Regenerative-esque, quick power transfer Warp Core, Nadion stylized Warp Core with slower power drain and transfer rate with okay power output.
All T5 and T5.5s really need to have the BO/Console layout looked at a bit just to see if tweaks can be made. The extra non-Centric power for any ship may need to be a Lt Cmdr ability, (Ex. Sovy: Cmdr Engineer, Lt. Cmdr Tactical, Lt. Engineer, Lt, Science, Ensign Engineer. Ex. Star Cruiser: Cmdr Engineer, Lt Cmdr Science, Lt Engineer, Lt Tactical Lt. Science, Ensign Engineer.) Then change the Excelsior around to make it the Engineering powerhouse. Making appropriate changes to the other ship types too (I don't reference them because I'm not as familiar with them). These are only ideas, but the reason I offer this is because for an Assault Cruiser, the Sovy does little tactical, for a Star Cruiser science heavy ship it does little in the way of science. Maybe all of this comes down to the lack of good diversity in Engineering Powers. Or are we to assume the developers wanted Cruisers to chain EPtS and EPtW? I'm confused.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 93
12-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Specific questions:
1. What ship(s) did you fly as you ranked up? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
2. What ship(s) do you fly at cap? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
3. Which ship(s) do you think are currently overpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
4. Which ship(s) do you think are currently underpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
5. What feature of your favorite ships do you like the most? As in, console configurations, station configurations, aesthetics, special abilities, etc.?
1. Fed: Escorts till max rank
Klingon: Bird of Prey / Raptor at T4 (Captain)

2. Fed: Excelsior or Escort, the Jem'Hadar atm
Klingon: Vor'cha Refit, Guramba, Hegh'Ta, Raptor

3. - MVAM; Split Mode (the hyper fast module) AND a LtC Sci (for Haz.Em. III) make it better than the average
- Jem'Hadar: Tons of resistance consoles and 2 universal slots

4. - Science Vessels in PvE. They require a heavy investment in Science skills while Cruisers and Escorts work nicely with almost the same skill spec. The skills take some time to reload and the general firepower is low due to lack of weapons and Tac consoles.
- Galaxy / Dreadnought: The turnrate is terribly bad and because the base turnrate is so awful not even turnrate consoles make them enjoyable. This is the reason why I rather use an Excelsior and Klingon cruisers.

5. A horrible console or BOff layout will ruin a ship, no matter how good it looks. 2 Tac Consoles only is a reason for me to pass on a ship. 3-4 are required for my preferences.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 94
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Specific questions:
1. What ship(s) did you fly as you ranked up? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
So far Captain. Ive been playing since launch this is my only character. I play ALL MMO's slowly. I like to enjoy evry aspect of the game both social and combat. I am a Tactical officer. I fly whatever the best tac ship I can get for my level. I equip the best eqip i can get my hands on. I mostly solo. However every other weekend i get together with my two friends back east and we hop on skype and do missions for a few hours.


2. What ship(s) do you fly at cap? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
Not at cap yet :-) Hopefully i will be VA by the middle of next year.

3. Which ship(s) do you think are currently overpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
This answer comes from a PVE stand point. (Some of the romulan ships just knock me out of the sky. I can usually take one down though after a couple of respawns.

4. Which ship(s) do you think are currently underpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?

We are tac vessels! We should have huge bonuses to our weapons to make up for lack of armor. We are the Wizards of STO

5. What feature of your favorite ships do you like the most? As in, console configurations, station configurations, aesthetics, special abilities, etc.?

Weapon abilities of the tac ships. I would love to have a dynamic where we could further enhance and gerry-rig our ship systems on the fly. Sort of like a cross between the power sliders on the UI and the BoFF system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 95 To the Devs...
12-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic

Specific questions:
1. What ship(s) did you fly as you ranked up? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
2. What ship(s) do you fly at cap? For each, primarily PvE, PvP or both? Group or solo?
3. Which ship(s) do you think are currently overpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
4. Which ship(s) do you think are currently underpowered? PvE, PvP, or both? Specifically why?
5. What feature of your favorite ships do you like the most? As in, console configurations, station configurations, aesthetics, special abilities, etc.?

Looking forward to all your feedback!
1. Flew in order: Miranda, TOS Connie, TMP Connie, Galaxy, Sovreign, Excelsior (all PvE).

2. I Fly Excelsior at cap (post-Season 5, I will soon be changing ships as current Excelsior is not worthy of T5).

3. Overpowered ships...Klingons! in PvP they are waaaay out of control and too powerful! For example, in TNG, if Klingon ships were as superior as they are (in game) the 1701-D would have been destroyed 10,000 times.

4. Underpowered ships: I think the Sovreign in its' current state leaves a little to be desired. Sovreign should be upgraded.

5. I LIKED (pre-Season 5) Excelsior. Man, it was a beast! Now, it plays more like a T3.5/T4 ship and is not worthy of "flagship" status.

and last but not least #6....PLEASE IMPLIMENT THE AMBASSADOR CLASS! ------ It's a much more maneuverable starship, and sexier looking ship than the Galaxy Class.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:06 PM.