Lt. Commander
# 11
08-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I used to think that just making everyone hostile would be a quick, easy, and awesome fix... but BRJ's got a great point; It'll force healers to pack a SciTeam and throw their Eng/TacTeams onto CD.
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack-NZ
Oh yay!! ther good skill, let's nerf it... Soon thanks to people calling for changes or nerfs we wont have any skills and will just duke it out with phasers...

There is a perfectly good counter to this, Sci Team, if you don't carry that, too bad...
So I'm guessing you have never tried to use ST to counter scrambles, or even read the "drawbacks" section of the OP? Because two thirds of the time, your ST will randomly be applied to someone else because how scrambles make you switch targets - unless you evasive out of the range of everyone so that it can't go to someone else, placing you out of the fight. Lately, my STs have not even been clearing SS1, when it used to get those 90% of the time, typically only having issues with the higher tier scrambles. The past few days I've actually been switching to boffs without ST because it's pointless, unless I'm being consistently subnuked.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo80 View Post
So I'm guessing you have never tried to use ST to counter scrambles, or even read the "drawbacks" section of the OP? Because two thirds of the time, your ST will randomly be applied to someone else because how scrambles make you switch targets - unless you evasive out of the range of everyone so that it can't go to someone else, placing you out of the fight. Lately, my STs have not even been clearing SS1, when it used to get those 90% of the time, typically only having issues with the higher tier scrambles. The past few days I've actually been switching to boffs without ST because it's pointless, unless I'm being consistently subnuked.
I quit carrying sci team as well. SS1 works better, scramble the guy who scrambled you. You have a better chance of getting his sci team than getting your own.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-30-2011, 12:05 AM
I would be happy if all they did was make it where the Sci Team skill specifically would only apply to self for the duration of scramble so we can at least clear it. This wouldn't solve the issue of forcing healers to carry sci team but it would keep the PvE whiners at bay and we would be able to clear it in PvP easily. I don't think there is a problem with how scramble is SUPPOSED to work, its just that it is near impossible to clear. (The power is in theory ok, but is undisputably broken) I don't even know where you guys are getting that sci team won't work only 2/3 the time. That is generous because I would say when I get scrambled in PvP I only have maybe a 5% chance of my sci team applying to myself even though I always clear my target and stop firing before I hit the power.

On second thought, there also may be an issue with the fact that you really can't heal yourself very effectively at all for the duration of scramble. A better suggestion may be to make all heals self targeting only for the duration of scramble. This way Scramble retains the properties which make it useful (switching targets to mitigate damage from scramble caster as well as fool people into attacking teamates) but won't have the unintended side effect of essentially making scrambled ships sitting ducks completely incapable of defending themselves VM beta style.

Thats my 2 cents anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-30-2011, 12:15 AM
I'd love to see this happen in the future...

It's a shame that this bug or at least powerful yet moderately broken effects on Scramble Sensors has been allowed to go on for the last 6+ months. I remember when my self and a friend in the fleet did tests on Scramble, and we bug reported the Evasive effect, where Scramble would cause your Evasive to misfire. Yet.. here we are... and it still happens.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
I used to think that just making everyone hostile would be a quick, easy, and awesome fix... but BRJ's got a great point; It'll force healers to pack a SciTeam and throw their Eng/TacTeams onto CD.
That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

Also, there needs to be a 15 sec immunity (at least) to scrambles after it expires or is cleared, to prevent the enemy team from simply rescrambling afterwards.
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-30-2011, 06:56 AM
I find if scrambled, and just "targeting nothing" that indeed, self healing becomes unreliable. However, F1 brings "you" up in your hud, and I have much more luck doing that. Sadly, even that isn't 100% reliable.

As for SS redesignating targets, there are problems either way you go.

All targets become friendly: If a cloaked ship is on your side, and you scramble the enemy, you're going to give your cloaked amigo "B'rel" syndrome, in that he'll be visible to the enemy and totally unshielded, I've gotten some cheap kills off of the back of this before, and it's unrealistic.

All targets become enemy: As mentioned, this pretty much forces healers to carry science team, that said, there's perhaps too much zombie healing, and I wouldn't take a heal ship out without ST(though I've never played a healer that much), so all in all I'd consider this one the lesser evil. It'd also prevent you accidently healing enemies, which I think is one of the more silly side affects of SS. I don't see how any degree of sensor tomfoolery could cause a team of engineers to accidently beam over to another ship rather than repairing the one they're on for example. What poppycock!
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Heh, I only use f1 for self targeting and it's only roughly 30 percent reliable.
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Question.

Scramble is obviously broken and has deviated from it's intended function (I highly doubt misfiring Evasives and nigh-impossible cleansing was intended).

And what point does using Scramble 3 become an exploit?
Lt. Commander
# 20
08-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Question.

Scramble is obviously broken and has deviated from it's intended function (I highly doubt misfiring Evasives and nigh-impossible cleansing was intended).

And what point does using Scramble 3 become an exploit?
The total ***** in me says the second it even hits the field.

The more realistic side says the moment 2 or more hit the field Deliberately.

Scramble in general is broken heinously, it serves as a counter for almost anything, pet spam? Counter. Sci Control? Counter, DPS dealing? Counter with target jumping, Healing? Counter with the same.

It literally counters everything, even it's own counter, Sci Team heh.