Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illistar
I don't see why a tactical captain can hit with grenades for over 400 damage, and does super damage (2000 crits) with guns, while the engineer poops 5 mines doing 300-600 each AOE, and has the orbital strike that does 600 + on non exploit, and all the sience class has is a shield destroyer ability, and a measly 200 fire damage on long cooldown...
It's mostly because back before Season 4, none of these imbalances were all that noticeable due to all ground combat being so marginalized.

Add to that the development team's 2 year track record with being unable to properly balance space combat abilities and you'll see the pattern.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm a Doctor...Not a warrior...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
08-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Ehr... if you want to blow things up don't play a Science Officer?!

I Love my Sci Main... all the beautiful debuffs and kits, I am there to make the enemy weaker and to heal my comrades not to play rambo and run directly into the enemy, I stay back with an evil laugh while the enemies get crushed in my gravimetric shift!

*cough* Ehr yes... you know what I mean...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
08-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelorKiith View Post
Ehr... if you want to blow things up don't play a Science Officer?!
Prior to season 4, science officers were quite capable of doing a lot of effective burst damage, because they were capable of creating exploit opportunities very effectively.

So you know, a lot of people who were tuned to ground combat prior to S4 are probably going to find these changes frustrating, much like the OP.

Quote:
I Love my Sci Main... all the beautiful debuffs and kits, I am there to make the enemy weaker and to heal my comrades not to play rambo and run directly into the enemy, I stay back with an evil laugh while the enemies get crushed in my gravimetric shift!
Truthfully, ground combat is currently at a point where much of my science captain's powers are too slow to use in the actual combat. So I end up being extremely effective at shooting things repeatedly and then helping teammates or my away team recover between clusters of enemies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
08-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Prior to season 4, science officers were quite capable of doing a lot of effective burst damage, because they were capable of creating exploit opportunities very effectively.

So you know, a lot of people who were tuned to ground combat prior to S4 are probably going to find these changes frustrating, much like the OP.
For a Science player (like me) I still find Expose/ Exploit to be very valuable against other players, especially against a good Science player as it's the only way to deal enough burst damage before they can heal themselves again. It's useful against a Tac as well but against heal heavy Sci and Eng it's invaluable.

Quote:
Truthfully, ground combat is currently at a point where much of my science captain's powers are too slow to use in the actual combat. So I end up being extremely effective at shooting things repeatedly and then helping teammates or my away team recover between clusters of enemies.
I find the Science captain powers are easily as useful as anything a Tac can bring along and in some cases are even more useful. The only Science captain skill that's not too great is Dampening Field but that's more because it's very situational rather than it isn't very good.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Again not to repete myself, but I do acknoledge that science can be effective. I do also understand the different play styles and different roles in the game.

But regardless of class, the damage kit should do damage. Leave all the other kits as they are, but if you're going to make a kit for a damage role (physicist), then put it on par with the damage output of the other classes.

Pre S4 overtime damage of a science officer was fine, because battles dragged on. But now, it just seems silly to have an ability that does slow over time damage, when things explode in a few seconds to other means.

So either put them on PAR with the damage abilities of the other 2 classes, or replace them with something more useful, like more crowd control.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
08-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illistar
So either put them on PAR with the damage abilities of the other 2 classes, or replace them with something more useful, like more crowd control.
The Physicist kit although it deals a lot of damage is more of a crowd control kit: every skill on the Physicist kit either roots, slows or applies a DoT to the target. Although it's certainly one of the more aggressive Science kits it's not a damage kit as it's primary role is crown control, something which it does very well. If you can get a friendly Tactical officer to assist you then it becomes even more impressive.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
09-03-2011, 03:56 AM
In STO dps > all. Especially since s4. By the time you root someone, or stun them or spam half a dozen debuffs on them the tac would have killed them with raw dps. Expose / exploit is now pointless and unused. Raw dps is better. S4 was a huge nerf to sci and huge boost to tac.

Only use for sci is keeping your tac team mates alive in fleet actions. So that they can get the first prize and you can get something worthless. But, honestly, healing isn't really needed in a group of more than 3. Basically sci is a waste of time for ground.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
09-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenstein
In STO dps > all. Especially since s4. By the time you root someone, or stun them or spam half a dozen debuffs on them the tac would have killed them with raw dps. Expose / exploit is now pointless and unused. Raw dps is better. S4 was a huge nerf to sci and huge boost to tac.

Only use for sci is keeping your tac team mates alive in fleet actions. So that they can get the first prize and you can get something worthless. But, honestly, healing isn't really needed in a group of more than 3. Basically sci is a waste of time for ground.
I'd disagree there, although the debuffing Sci kits are not too great if you don't play in a team or on higher difficulty PvE a medic or Borg medic kitted Sci should be able to tank a Tac and wear them down*. It won't be quick but you'll get there eventually and will likely be an Exploit that gets the job done.
Quote:
Basically sci is a waste of time for ground.
I couldn't disagree with this more, the only problem with Sci is the debuff kits aren't as powerful as the Medic kits when played solo, but with a team mate to exploit the roots, holds, stuns and exposes you'll be the most valuable guy on the team. I know when I play my Tac I love having a debuffing Sci around as it makes my job so much easier.

*This obviously doesn't help in Otha where the cloaked one shots will take you down, but once you know their's someone around they're easy pickings. An Operative kitted Tac against a medic Sci is going to lose unless they're very good or the Sci isn't (or using energy dampening armour).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
09-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm okay with my physicist kit, but some more cool ground abilities like the space powers (creating black holes, targeting enemy systems) would be a lot of fun to play with. You could remotely hack enemy med tricorders to inject andorian measles, or create interdimensional anomalies that suck enemies out of existence.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 AM.