Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Torpedo Spread Update
08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I have a few questions based on the recent Torpedo Spread update that took place in today's patch...

■ Significantly increased damage - damage is 85% of the equivalent ranked High Yield torpedo.

- Does anyone know what the Torpedo Spread's damage percentage was in comparison to the High Yield Torpedo's damage, prior to this update?

■ Spread hits 3, 6 or 9 targets (depending on rank).

- Does this mean the number of torpedoes fired from your ship when you use the Torpedo Spread ability?

■ Modified fx so each hit target is hit by a projectile.

- Previously, using Torpedo Spread meant firing about 3 torpedoes that exploded in space causing 'Area of Effect' damage to any enemy ships nearby. Does this mean that Torpedo Spread involves torpedoes actually hitting an enemy's hull, like with High Yield Torpedoes?

■ The effect has been updated so each target gets its own spread of torpedoes.

- This confuses me. Previously, you could only target 1 enemy with the Torpedo Spread, and the 3 torpedoes fired in the spread would explode near that enemy's ship. Do the torpedoes in Torpedo Spread now select their own targets randomly like with Beam Fire At Will for phasers, and then fire multiple torpedoes hitting multiple enemy hulls?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialgaChampion View Post
I have a few questions based on the recent Torpedo Spread update that took place in today's patch...

■ Significantly increased damage - damage is 85% of the equivalent ranked High Yield torpedo.

- Does anyone know what the Torpedo Spread's damage percentage was in comparison to the High Yield Torpedo's damage, prior to this update?
It was like 30-50%, provided your targets didn't move out of range of the explosions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialgaChampion View Post
■ Spread hits 3, 6 or 9 targets (depending on rank).

- Does this mean the number of torpedoes fired from your ship when you use the Torpedo Spread ability?
I haven't logged in yet, but it looks like Spread I will hit up to 3 targets, Spread II will hit up to 6 and Spread III will hit up to 9 targets. Odds are it's one torpedo per target, but not sure about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialgaChampion View Post
■ Modified fx so each hit target is hit by a projectile.

- Previously, using Torpedo Spread meant firing about 3 torpedoes that exploded in space causing 'Area of Effect' damage to any enemy ships nearby. Does this mean that Torpedo Spread involves torpedoes actually hitting an enemy's hull, like with High Yield Torpedoes?
Think of it like a normal torpedo shot to 3, 6, or 9 targets at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DialgaChampion View Post
■ The effect has been updated so each target gets its own spread of torpedoes.

- This confuses me. Previously, you could only target 1 enemy with the Torpedo Spread, and the 3 torpedoes fired in the spread would explode near that enemy's ship. Do the torpedoes in Torpedo Spread now select their own targets randomly like with Beam Fire At Will for phasers, and then fire multiple torpedoes hitting multiple enemy hulls?
I'm hoping this is how it works, but I'm not sure yet. If it fires at the closest 3-6-9 targets from any torpedo launcher on your ship, that would be pretty cool.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-30-2011, 11:40 PM
I got a chance to play around with Torpedo Spread I and II tonight. The major change is that instead of detonating at the location where your target was when you activated it, it now fires off 4 torps at each target that was within the firing arc of the launcher (90 degrees).
However, it's not really 4 torpedoes per target, it's just the VFX. There's only one explosion as far as I can tell, so each target is only damaged once. Damage was OK. I was getting 25k crits using photons and Torpedo: High Yield II. Spread II I saw a 21k crit, which wasn't awesome but was better than it used to be.

If you've got some AE shield stripping ability (Charged Particle Burst) and lots of targets it might be worth using when you have swarms of spam.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
08-31-2011, 12:21 AM
I have torp spread 3 and it one shot all the escorts in front of my carrier and they all got hit with more than one torp. the crits were amazing its much better than it use to be well worth it even with out shield stripping.
too bad there are only 2 on the exchange for KDF glad I had mine from way back when.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
09-01-2011, 01:15 AM
This is my new favourite Tactical power. Aside from the visual overhaul (gotta love seeing that many torpedoes at once) it's now actually a useful, and no longer situational power. You can use it against a single ship as an interim High Yield and do some damage, rather than firing off and the torpedoes missing. It's also good against lots of weaker ships (read fighters, damaged ships etc) and you just HAVE to go into the Gorn Fleet action. So many torpedoes!!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
09-01-2011, 05:15 AM
Whilst amazing fun, does it not throw the balance too far - I am not sure why I would want to use HYT at all now... I only have rank 2 but the amount of punishment thrown out is amazing!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
09-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingodv View Post
Whilst amazing fun, does it not throw the balance too far - I am not sure why I would want to use HYT at all now... I only have rank 2 but the amount of punishment thrown out is amazing!
That's actually the dilemma I'm running into myself. With my Intrepid, I can only use one Lieutenant Space Tactical Ability, so I'm having a hard time choosing between my Tactical officer having High Yield 2 or Torpedo Spread 2. I know that High Yield does more damage to a single ship, but now that Torpedo Spread seems to actually impact the hull of an enemy ship, it seems that having Spread 2 would be more beneficial in the long run than High Yield 2.

But then again, Spread 2 hits up to 6 targets and most of the time, you only need to hit up to 3, unless you're teaming up against someone else. So then perhaps I should go with High Yield 2 and have Spread 1.

Argh...confusing....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
09-01-2011, 02:10 PM
I've been using this forever and have found it to be a great utility in my toolbox since my first chracter was specced into plasma torps (yeah yeah....) I found this gave me a little bit of assistance in situations where my Green Ball of Death might get shot down. I love using it against fighter swarms.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialgaChampion View Post
That's actually the dilemma I'm running into myself. With my Intrepid, I can only use one Lieutenant Space Tactical Ability, so I'm having a hard time choosing between my Tactical officer having High Yield 2 or Torpedo Spread 2. I know that High Yield does more damage to a single ship, but now that Torpedo Spread seems to actually impact the hull of an enemy ship, it seems that having Spread 2 would be more beneficial in the long run than High Yield 2.

But then again, Spread 2 hits up to 6 targets and most of the time, you only need to hit up to 3, unless you're teaming up against someone else. So then perhaps I should go with High Yield 2 and have Spread 1.

Argh...confusing....
True. You could have Torpedo Spread I, which still fires 4 torpedoes at a target's hull directly, and you can target up to three ships. Then have High Yield II for the encounters where you need single target kinetic damage (although people have suggested the rank I version does more damage overall).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
09-04-2011, 07:15 AM
The old Torpedo Spread was pretty useless. Its projectiles did half the damage of THY, and it was limited to hitting 2/3/4 targets (per rank). What that meant was TS1 only could do as much damage as a THY IF two targets were within a 1 km sphere, and otherwise always did less.

It's nice that it has been improved to actually be worth a damn.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM.