Lt. Commander
# 21
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Personally, I like Admiral, but I know it's not everybody's cup of tea.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
Or it could be Captain all the way

T1: 1-10
T2: 11-20
T3: 21-30
T4: 31-40
T5: 41-50
T6: 51-60
Well, anyone in command of a naval vessel is a "Captain." How do you think Captain Crunch got the title?
Lt. Commander
# 23 You could even go higher
08-30-2011, 11:18 AM
T1 - Ensign
T2 - LT
T3 - LT Commander
T4 - Commander
T5 - Commodore
T6 - Rear Admiral
T7 - Vice Admiral
T8 - Admiral
T9 - Fleet Admiral
T10 - Grand Admiral
T11 - Commandant

Lt. Commander
# 24 title
08-30-2011, 11:45 AM
I have to agree with the idea of having the game call you by title not "rank". It may sound strange but I like having my title say Lt. or Lt. Cmdr. I like to think of the "ranks" as titles you unlock that way if you want to be a "Captain" wear that title.
This way everyone wins even those people that want the NPCs to call them Crash Test Tribbles!
Lt. Commander
# 25
08-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimn View Post
I have to agree with the idea of having the game call you by title not "rank". It may sound strange but I like having my title say Lt. or Lt. Cmdr. I like to think of the "ranks" as titles you unlock that way if you want to be a "Captain" wear that title.
This way everyone wins even those people that want the NPCs to call them Crash Test Tribbles!
Yeah I would rather they did something like this.
Lt. Commander
# 26
08-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimn View Post
again from a point of view of immersion, this would be a good thing, my understanding is its unusual for some one to address some one a Lt Cmdr, unless you are making a point... its more normal to say Cmdr, same is true for Rear Admiral Lower half, typically you just say Admiral, and usually just Brigadeer rather than Brg Gen. But in almost all cases I am aware of a ship's captain is called Captain when he is in command/aboard her. And that would certainly address one of the immersion problems, but i still think having everyone with military rank of "Admiral" in rank is silly ... to be sure having everyone as Captains is also "silly" but slightly less so in a game about being a captain
Lt. Commander
# 27
08-31-2011, 01:23 AM
What I originally proposed is closer to just changing the rank descriptions: VA 1 rank should be Captain 51 rank.

As for ranks starting from Ensign or Lt and have hou commanding a ship, I don't really agree. In Star Trek canon, I have never seen a mere Lt commanding a ship. Sisko was a commander, and he commanded DS9, a space station. And I assume that Starfleet assigned a commander there because they didn't consider it at the time a high-priority or difficult assignment.

Being a Captain in Star Trek is a result of a long process and flawless career (e.g Riker, Sisko, Janeway, Archer) or unequaled heroism (Kirk, Picard). Many Captains are also portrayed to have huge influence, even greater than an Admiral's (Piccard demonstrated this repeatedly, Sisko commanded task forces).

The ones who became Admirals (Kirk, Janeway), stopped commanding ships and moved to the sidelines. Because Star Trek community wanted Kirk to command the Enterprise, they "allowed" him to command it for a short time as an Admiral, but then did the brave thing to demote him spectacularly.

I believe that the tutorial should tell the story of your rise to Captaincy, or focus at the time you first assume command of a ship. After that, you should be a Captain. That is probably the easiest way to deal with the ugly fact that there are more admirals than ensigns in the Sol system.

The real icing, in my opinion, is for the game to demote you (in name only) when you reach VA 10, for a purely plot-related issue, and call you "Captain 61 rank" or "Senior Captain 61".
Lt. Commander
# 28
08-31-2011, 01:58 AM
All this talk about being demoted is depressing. I bet mojority of the games player like being called Admiral or Vice Admiral if you do like that go back to playing star trek legecy/starfleet command (you never get promtions in those games). Other then that please stop your complaining and don't ruin the game for the rest of us
Lt. Commander
# 29
08-31-2011, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboysw View Post
Or it could be Captain all the way

T1: 1-10
T2: 11-20
T3: 21-30
T4: 31-40
T5: 41-50
T6: 51-60
*sign*^^

Really I agree with the OP.
The Mission design makes it even more stupid:
Also: its just silliy to arrive with a Fleet at the Vorn system. And who Beams down to the Planet? A bunch of security redshirts? Lead by the Tactical officer of the ship?
Nope. With the man-power of up to 5000 men and women lead by 5 Admirals... the 5 Admirals beam down into the dangerous enviroment. ALONE.

Well, on the other Hand I do not favor taking the "Admiral" rank from those away who want to have it.
The rank should simply be a Title that can be changed at will (well... the way its already possible) but with wich NPCs ADRESS you, too.

That had been suggestet multiple times, and Cryptics reaction was "We would have to Change EVERY SINGEL DIALOG in the game", wich is, IMO obviously, a lie.
The way NPCs adress you is obviously a Script. If I do a Mission as Commander they Adress me as "Commander"; if I do the same mission as Vice Admiral, they adress me as "Vice Admiral". So they just have to change that Script, everybody could keep the Rank he wants and... well (almost) everybody is happy...
Of course there would be still to many Admirals to make it "Realistic", but after all, there are also to many Galaxy-class prototypes, people running arround in Datet uniforms, !?!?!?Pakleds!?!?!? in charge of Strafleet ships, people running arround in Uniforms from other Universes.... If you still can all anything "Ingame" as "Uniform" in the first place.. So scaling the enviroment to any kind of Canon or realism just isnt reasonable anymore.

But beeing able to influence the OWN apperance the way you want, including the Rank, thats not unreasonable I believe...
Lt. Commander
# 30
08-31-2011, 03:04 AM
I agree, Valias' idea for NPCs to address your character by his/her title instead of game rank is an elegantly simple solution. That way everyone wins: those who want to continue being known as Vice Admiral can do so, while folks who would prefer to be a Captain could also achieve this. It wouldn't need any change to the experience ranks, and would also work well from an immersion point of view because of the appropriate dialogue.

I appreciate though that this could be a big job if as mentioned, the placeholder for the player's name would need to be changed from referencing the rank to the title. I can see why every individual script would need to edited.

Still, it's certainly the simplest solution, and would enable everyone to play their character how they wanted.
Closed Thread