Lt. Commander
# 1 Tetryon Ship Weapons Broken?
08-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Hey all...

I've been playing a good bit of PvP recently and noticed that I'm not doing nearly enough damage. I'm running a MVAM with a full Tetryon build (3x dual cannon up front, 3x turret in rear), have my Tetryon weapons skill maxed, use a Tetryon tac console, keep my weapons power level at 100+ and I find that my fleet's healers are doing more damage than I am.

We ran a test last night. In a typical 15-kill PvP battle with the Tetryon build I'm doing say 150,000 in damage. I switched to a phaser build (3x DC and 3x turret) without respecing for phasers or adding a phaser tac console and my damage in the next match vs the same people jumped to nearly 300,000. This was simply replacing my blue and purple MKXI tetryon weapons with white MKXII phaser weapons. The phaser weapons have a lower DPS so my damage should be less when using them, but it is not.

The only conclusion that the guys in my fleet and I could come up with is that tetryon ship weapons are broken in some way.

What I'm looking for is validation of this conclusion. Is anyone else running a tetryon build? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
If you are using Dual Cannons instead of DHCS that's probably why.

I roll Tets on my main, there hasn't been any change in my damage.

Stupid graphic fx broken oh yes. But damage change? nope.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
If you are using Dual Cannons instead of DHCS that's probably why.

I roll Tets on my main, there hasn't been any change in my damage.

Stupid graphic fx broken oh yes. But damage change? nope.
DCs and DHCs have the same DPS, DHCs just fire less often. You are trading rate of fire for damage per shot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
DCs and DHCs have the same DPS, DHCs just fire less often. You are trading rate of fire for damage per shot.
Actually they don't have the same DPS.

Dual cannons do so much less burst damage, that even moderate resists and Defense scores laugh them off. They also do not fire as often as advertised, especially in triplets. (they actually fire slower in 3s than 3 DHCs) Dual cannons are a waste of time, on any ship or build.

Dual cannons are another shining example of cryptic not actually understanding how the game mechanics work.

This is also why DCs are so much cheaper to buy in the exchange than DHC counter parts, even if they have superior properties.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
Actually they don't have the same DPS.

Dual cannons do so much less burst damage, that even moderate resists and Defense scores laugh them off. They also do not fire as often as advertised, especially in triplets. (they actually fire slower in 3s than 3 DHCs) Dual cannons are a waste of time, on any ship or build.

Dual cannons are another shining example of cryptic not actually understanding how the game mechanics work.
Well, thanks for the insight there. I'll scrounge up 3 tetryon DHCs and see what kind of difference that makes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-31-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
Well, thanks for the insight there. I'll scrounge up 3 tetryon DHCs and see what kind of difference that makes.
Anytime.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Agreed.

Even if the DC and DHC would have equal DPS with better cooldowns or anything they would still be more beneficial for alot of situations. Few big bolts that do higher crits when they crit. And this is particularly helpful with enemies which are 10% dead, while using dual cannons they might be able to buff themselves upagain in time

Not to forget the build-in +10 severity. The -12 vs -10 drain is negligable, tests of mine show that the energy drain on a full DHC/turret build doesnt really matter. When the firing cycle starts all over again your weaponpower would already be back up.

On top of that, if this rule still applies; More hits will also proc someones borg bonusses alot more. Personally I use Polarons, the proc sucks anyway. So why not taking advantage with it and use DHC to minimize the 'bolts' or 'triggers' that I inflict.

Tada