Lt. Commander
# 61
08-31-2011, 11:46 PM
It certainly has been a rough few months. Now, no one would accuse me of being particularly critical of Cryptic in general or Star Trek Online in particular, but even I was starting to wonder the last month or so. It's part of the reason I've been fairly quiet recently - I'm more the type to say nothing when I can't be positive. (Well, the release of Deus Ex had something to do with it as well)

I'm glad that we are starting to see more of the reasoning behind the content drought and a bit of the plans for the future. Hopefully the Devs will get permission to start telling us more about it soon, especially since it really can't be fun to be in their shoes - to know all these cool things about what's coming and not be able to say anything about them.
Lt. Commander
# 62
09-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
I am with you...there is no apology on this end. Knowing this is part of the reason for the content drought makes me very angry. While I may be a lifer and am not paying a monthly sub, the money I put up up front was for new playable content. This content drought is inexcusable for the paying customers. They basically took our money for the past 6 months in order to provide a better game for people to play for free. That's not OK with me. I payed money for content, not to sit around doing nothing for 6 months.
the whole point of f2p is to make more money by attracting more people which can mean better and faster development in the future. a slight delay should be offset by years of faster development than we saw before.
Lt. Commander
# 63
09-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altexist View Post
I know that I have been harsh on Cryptic and some of the Devs too. But I am not sure if I am ready to get all kissy faced with Dan yet. (well, unless he puts his uniform back on) Because I am a little concerned about how the Foundry will fair during the transitions. With the PWE execs talking up the launch of Neverwinter in the US and China, I am worried that STO’s Foundry will take a back seat to F2P transition and Neverwinter.
I need to stop listening to the podcast. Whenever you post I hear your voice saying the words as I read... Epic sig btw.

It has been a rough year honestly. We haven't really had anything since Whenever the Reman arc ended. We also aren't out of the woods. We've STILL not had anything since the announcement although these Red Alerts might give us something to do. I've not looked at them very closely yet but it sounds like actual content. I'm not sorry at being annoyed. I am forgiving now that we are getting information about what is going on.

As for the whole F2P thing. I'm getting more excited about that the more I think about it. I know I can probably get several friends to give it a try since they don't have the cost up front and some of them will likely pay for a few perks as well. This also bodes well for new content. New stuff is where the money is going to be from now on. If they don't make it we can't buy it. A point that demonstrates the flaw of the whole chicken and the egg argument in regards to Klingon Content. Cryptic isn't going to be able to ignore people until they go away. They need our money and they can only get it one way.
Lt. Commander
# 64
09-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
the whole point of f2p is to make more money by attracting more people which can mean better and faster development in the future. a slight delay should be offset by years of faster development than we saw before.
This for sure is part of their plan, but we don't know if it ever will happen. And in the case it happens, this doesn't change back 6+ months of content-drought. Alot of ppl are gone, my whole fleet is practically gone and waiting to start in SW TOR. Some of them never played a MMORPG before and the only cause to play an MMORPG was "STAR TREK" in the title, but also the least Star Trek fan of them is frustrated about STO. These are all ppl who bought LTS and alot from the c-store. I doubt anyone of them will ever play STO as intense as they did after they have played a real triple-A MMORPG because this will open up a totaly new point of view into MMO gaming for these players.
Lt. Commander
# 65
09-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledicus
This for sure is part of their plan, but we don't know if it ever will happen. And in the case it happens, this doesn't change back 6+ months of content-drought. Alot of ppl are gone, my whole fleet is practically gone and waiting to start in SW TOR. Some of them never played a MMORPG before and the only cause to play an MMORPG was "STAR TREK" in the title, but also the least Star Trek fan of them is frustrated about STO. These are all ppl who bought LTS and alot from the c-store. I doubt anyone of them will ever play STO as intense as they did after they have played a real triple-A MMORPG because this will open up a totaly new point of view into MMO gaming for these players.
so (hypothetically speaking) 10 years of better development at a faster rate is not a good pay off for 6 months of a lack of content? many a mmo only updates their content every 6 months. that is not unusual for this industry. Much of the work is from the DOFF system. it has taken a long time to produce but that the reality of game development. sometimes it take half a year to get decent features added to MMO's. They may have been working on other content that they have yet to tell us about. once we get the whole picture from dstahl we will have a better idea of exactly what they have been spending their time on.

once content starts to role out again, no one will care about a six months gap because it will be history. if your friends and fleet mates are star trek fans, and the ones who payed for a LTS then they will come back. they played because they wanted to play this game. if it gets better they will want to come back. TOR would still have been here with or without more content.

Would an extra 5 episodes in june have made that much of a difference? would that have somehow have fended off the attraction of TOR with its 200-300 million budget and its thousand hours of gameplay? no of course not. STO was moving at a fine pace before but it would never compete with TOR, no matter what content they had added.

this gives us a chance to try to add more and make STO better than its ever been under owners who are not just here to bleed anyone dry, owners who have some money and are willing to spend money to make money. the future is never certain but it was not certain under a sub model either.
Lt. Commander
# 66
09-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I've been a bit hostile to the Devs these past few months due to the content drought. I knew the whole sale to PW was slowing things down, but I still felt they really had their priorities wrong with developing starter zones and revamping low level missions rather than making new mission content. With today's confirmation of F2P I see that it was actually just the opposite: the priorities were exactly what they had to be. So, getting to the point, I apologize for the hostility
It's been a long road....

That is soooooo fitting! Seriously,take into account this thread, the f2p topic and the breaking away from Atari and acquisition by PWI . Then listen to the song and imagine it displays"Star Trek Online" instead, in the opening scene.

I have faith in Cryptic and have believed this whole time they were on track. I suppose that is because I have a little experience with MMO companies. Just the same, I still have my worries but try not to impose them.
Lt. Commander
# 67
09-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamid
Not just this, but I still have a feeling Featured Episodes (or a part of F.E. series) will be C-Store content. Likewise, I think anything new such as player run Starbases will be C-Store content.

Mostly though, I'm not happy having payed for an unfinished product with the expectation it would developed at least to a proper launching point and instead having payed for it's Micro Transaction development.

My biggest concern now is 80-90% of development will be to the C-Store rather than the game's foundation. Even with a lifer stipend at the C-Store I'd never be satisfied with what imo is still an unfinished product and quite frankly even when it goes free wouldn't recommend it to a friend to try for nothing unless things seriously change in the development direction.
Before this spins out of speculation control, I can assure you there are no restrictions on content access, including future Feature Series. In addition, subscribers should notice little to no change. As far as I've seen, any changes in price will be to lower prices on some items.

That aside, if you don't like the game, you don't like the game. The entire concept of F2P is that you don't have to pay for the game. You can play it for free and if you like and want to play deeper into the game, then you can still do that for free. Perfect World has a strong philosphy that it should be possible for a free player to reach maximum level without spending a dime. In my opinion, if you enjoy the game, then you will spend money on it. And if you don't then that's ok too.

The game certainly still has issues (as do most young MMO), but I'd argue that the game has improved tremendously since launch day. By our 2nd anniversary in February, I think this game will be significantly better than it was even at year 1 anniversary.

Perfect World has made it very clear that they want to invest in STO because they believe it has great POTENTIAL and they see an investment that can yield an even better game. That to me, is the golden path that this game deserves. It is Star Trek we are talking about!
Lt. Commander
# 68
09-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
You mean the ZERO development of pvp add-ons that were promised over a year ago we still don't have? Well I suppose anything is faster than nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 69
09-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Before this spins out of speculation control, I can assure you there are no restrictions on content access, including future Feature Series. In addition, subscribers should notice little to no change. As far as I've seen, any changes in price will be to lower prices on some items.

That aside, if you don't like the game, you don't like the game. The entire concept of F2P is that you don't have to pay for the game. You can play it for free and if you like and want to play deeper into the game, then you can still do that for free. Perfect World has a strong philosphy that it should be possible for a free player to reach maximum level without spending a dime. In my opinion, if you enjoy the game, then you will spend money on it. And if you don't then that's ok too.

The game certainly still has issues (as do most young MMO), but I'd argue that the game has improved tremendously since launch day. By our 2nd anniversary in February, I think this game will be significantly better than it was even at year 1 anniversary.

Perfect World has made it very clear that they want to invest in STO because they believe it has great POTENTIAL and they see an investment that can yield an even better game. That to me, is the golden path that this game deserves. It is Star Trek we are talking about!
Dude. It's like 2:30 your time. And you don't work 2nd shift. Go to bed. Sleep. Dream of cups. Just...don't involve girls. All I'm sayin', man.
Lt. Commander
# 70
09-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I've been a bit hostile to the Devs these past few months due to the content drought. I knew the whole sale to PW was slowing things down, but I still felt they really had their priorities wrong with developing starter zones and revamping low level missions rather than making new mission content. With today's confirmation of F2P I see that it was actually just the opposite: the priorities were exactly what they had to be. So, getting to the point, I apologize for the hostility
The nagus is very wise and has just said everything i have felt and said over the past few months

so i 2 apologise for the not so wise and rational things i have said over the past 8 months
Closed Thread