Lt. Commander
# 11
08-30-2011, 07:34 AM
I have seen one similar as a DSE derelict in STO. I think it was their best and maybe only almost good looking ship, but I also like this ship.

Chariot Class
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel-Hyena
And in general, I think it's kind of an ugly, ugly ship. It just looks like someone treated a Galaxy class like a Stretch Armstrong. Honestly, I'm glad nothing that fugly made it off the drawing room floor.
It looks like it did make it into Perpetualís STO, but it died with that project. While some of their ideas sounded interesting, they lost me when they went into a more cartoonish art direction. I think current STO is the overall better game.

http://suricatasblog.wordpress.com/2...uals-sto-tour/
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-31-2011, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphenoix
Mommy... The dog's dragging it's bum over the carpet again...
I don't know who it was that first used this description, but I swear they have burned themselves - one might say perpetually - in to my mind every time I see this ship!

So very true...
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-31-2011, 03:40 AM
It's not that bad of a design. Looks good from most angles. The only downside is the side view, where it looks like a banana. But if the neck was a bit shorter it would make a pretty decent ship.

Still, don't bother. We'll get other Tier X.5 ship variants sooner than any new ones.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-31-2011, 05:01 AM
I still think it looks like it is dragging it's bottom across sector space....not something that looks nice or makes sense unless you take into account the Klingon use of the phrase "honorless dog"...lol
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-01-2011, 06:33 AM
That ship looks like the designer decided to chop of the end of the stardrive section and attach the nacelles to the neck. The ship just looks totally unbalanced from the side view.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-03-2011, 03:32 PM
its a space ship! it does not have to be balanced unless it is designed to be e.g interpid class.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I think the ship *could* work if they took the Stretch Armstrong to it a bit more. Connect the saucer in-line with the main hull, just above the deflector dish or even where the deflector dish is currently, and reshape the upper part of the neck to be lower and wider. Might just fit the bill as a Nebula variant then, with a bulkier dorsal pod more heavily connected to the hull.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaboom10000 View Post
Hey, I remember that one... a mess of people got all upset on these boards after STO's Excalibur was revealed cause they felt STO should respect their "popular fanmade class". While it's better than that first... thing... link in here, I'm still not particularly fond of the fanmade Excalibur either: it honestly just looks like someone took a steamroller to a Sovereign class and then went "hey, let's make it even BIGGER!". Never been all that impressed with it, and was further annoyed simply by the backlash of those who were all "the Excalibur class is ours, how dare Cryptic steal our class name!" In all fairness, not only is there a good chance they didn't even know "this Excalibur" class existed, but "Excalibur" just simply seems like a natural name choice for a ship class.

It's better than the stretched out Galaxy/butt-dragging dog that started this thread, but in the end it's just a blown-up Sovereign that was run over by a steamroller and then, reading what the creator said about it, turned into a flying Mary Sue in space (it's basically a giant warship that is absolutely capable of being awesome at absolutely everything).

There's some good fan-made ship designs out there: I don't think this is one of em.