Lt. Commander
# 11
09-07-2011, 01:55 AM
I'm really unhappy with how the jupiter guys let Al preset his point of view without pointing out the obvious problems flaws. I really don't know how you can go from "if you want to dens a message, cancel your subscription" to "everything is great". Only explanation: Al is a really charming guy.

To put it bluntly: the fact, that you can trade dilithium for c-points fixes nothing. Players who want to go this route are most likely not to gain access to c-store ships immediately after their promotion, since they need to accumulate huge amounts of dilithium first (considering that it takes roughly a month playtime to grind 500 Emblems). And even then I do not see, why anyone would want to trade c-points for dilithium to make this system work to start with. You would need to convert a lot of c-store and/or exclusive in-game items to something you can buy with dilithium. But what exactly are the items someone would like to buy for real money and not need to spend time grinding? For that we have:
  • The Delta Flyer Schematic (on Exchange for 500.000 EC)
  • The Aegeis Set (on Exchance for 1.500.000 EC)
  • The Borg Set (not tradable)
  • XP Boosts (on Exchange for 150.000 EC / 650.000 EC)
  • Diplomacy rewards (not tradable)
  • Veteran rewards (not tradable)
  • Referral rewards (not tradable)

That really is not something you can base a viable economy on where players basically sell their play time for real money to others. Additionally, consider the outrage, when the non-tradable items became tradable for dilithium. Or: consider the outrage, when Cryptic makes previously expensive C-Store items obtainable for decent amounts of dilithium.

So actually: No, dilithium for C-Points does not in any way fix the balancing issues of ships like the Rhode Island.

And Jeremy is plain wrong when stating, that right now players would have to spend money on the Retrofits like the Galaxy with Saucer Separation. First of all, these ships are Tier 6 and therefore better than Tier 5 ships like the Sovereign. Second, you get a free token for one of those ships when you reach VA1.

What he could have mentioned though, is the Excelsior. The Excelsior is slightly overpowered compared to the Galaxy, because it has a better turn rate and an additional console slot. But that is balanced out by the fact that the Galaxy has a built-in power usable in combat, while the transwarp-drive of the Excelsior gives no PvP advantage.

Regards,
Rachel
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Lol, I don't get the Dilithium vs. Cryptic Points exchange either.

The hole thing seems to be based on the assumption that many players have unspent Cryptic Points. But what would actually make me want to exchange those for Dilithium.

Unless, of course, they make every ship (or most of them) only (!) purchasable via Dilithium. But that seems like a big waste of revenue potential.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post
Unless, of course, they make every ship (or most of them) only (!) purchasable via Dilithium. But that seems like a big waste of revenue potential.
From what I understand every ship is being changed to a dilithium purchase, even the ones we pay EC for. No more free ships when you rank up either, gotta grind even for those now.

I'm sure the premium ships will have their C-Store option, along with costing more than the base ship via dilithium.

All they have to do when they 'rebalance' the economy is make everything expensive as all get out and boom, instant desire for people to buy dilithium. Couple that with new items coming out, make them nice, make them expensive to further that desire.

They're putting a lot of things on the dilithium system. Anything you can buy with exploration tokens, emblems, badges, whatever, will all be dilithium. Makes for a huge demand with a limited supply short of mind numbing grinding and its easy to see where they're going with it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-07-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik

I'm sure the premium ships will have their C-Store option, along with costing more than the base ship via dilithium.
Not in my understanding.
To buy the premium ships you will need to find somebody willing to trade their c-points for your dilithium, which you can then spend in the c-store.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-07-2011, 02:47 AM
On a side note, I want the cat in Hravik's Avatar added to the C-Store as Spot 2.0 and added to the C-Store (with rifle).
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Is this the one where he says that tier 5.5 is in the works?

*sigh*

Would it really hurt you so much to have a shred of respect for the playerbase and work on creating a good game, instead of trying to find new and terrible ways to get money from your already pee'd off customer base at the expense of the game? Please?
This.

Can we just admit that it's pay to win now? Sure, that may make sense for f2p... but we're still a ways away from that and have to deal with the balance repercussions now.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
This.

Can we just admit that it's pay to win now? Sure, that may make sense for f2p... but we're still a ways away from that and have to deal with the balance repercussions now.
I have to say that I concur. Though fighting the whole p2w has gotten quite exhausting.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-07-2011, 12:10 PM
It may not come across in the episode (it's HARD to get all of my thoughts into a live session!), but I'm very much an opponent of Pay-to-Win gaming.

But I'm curious... from a Math standpoint, has anyone actually run PvP tests between various T2 ships to see if the Rhode Island truly FEELS like an imbalance at that level? And I'm not trying to defend it, I just want to honestly know.

I fully admit and recognize what the numbers indicate it's more powerful than another ship due primarily to the extra boff slot. But how much difference does that REALLY make, I wonder?

And let's extend that examination up to T5. If you had one more power at your disposal - one more boff slot - on your favorite VA ship, what would that actually do for you in a PvP scenario that couldn't be countered or would set you undeniably apart from the opponents? It would have to come down to power synergy and available counters to the enemies' tactics, wouldn't it?

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm defending the fact that x.5 ships (or +1 ships) are GOING to be perceived as Pay-to-Win, and perception is reality when it comes to PR for a game company. But I'm truly curious as to how the actual numbers play out. The math.

Maybe I should start a new thread on the subject though, instead of bogging down this one.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borticus View Post
But I'm curious... from a Math standpoint, has anyone actually run PvP tests between various T2 ships to see if the Rhode Island truly FEELS like an imbalance at that level? And I'm not trying to defend it, I just want to honestly know.
You don't need to do any tests to know that it does.

You get an extra BO and console. Those are beyond extremely valuable at a tier where you only have really 1-2 of each console and all Ensigns + 1 Lt.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
You don't need to do any tests to know that it does.

You get an extra BO and console. Those are beyond extremely valuable at a tier where you only have really 1-2 of each console and all Ensigns + 1 Lt.
And don't forget the added impulse modifier that contributes to defense and maneuverability.