Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
09-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Hevach, thank you for your numbers! I'll take your testing model and give it a try when I get home - I'll get some Mk1 phaser arrays and just test against various opponents. I'm curious as to what, if any, difference exists between the power granted by skills, by abilities, by equipment, and by batteries. I shall have to play around a bit, I think!

Also, thank you to all who are participating in this discussion - it seems that I'm not the only one who was confused, and that makes me feel a little less terrible now.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
The last I had heard, 135 weapon power was the hard cap (even though 125 is the most that will be displayed), and any power that would push it above 135 is lost and wasted.

I did hear this quite a while ago though, and it's entirely possible that this has changed and is no longer true, but as I haven't heard of any changes since I read that, I have been assuming that this is still the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
That is continuous testing, or rather continuous enough to destroy an NPC cruiser with only four beams of an energy type other than my spec (tested with phasers, specced for antiproton) and no buffs.

Edit: Also, since you asked:

125/100+red matter capacitor (35 overflow): Expected: 125 Actual: 95
125/100+EPTW (don't remember what the overflow should be here) Expected: ~125 Actual: 95

I'll run another with a weapon battery if you want.
That seems to answer it, then. 125 is max. That's a bit of a shame, but at least I can still manage power effectively enough to run 8 beams with a serious punch to them. Between EPW2 and EPS3, I should be able to run my assault cruiser with max weapons, max shields, and a decent chunk of engine power.

Thank you for your hard work!
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-07-2011, 01:35 PM
8 Beam Cruiser layout for both PvE and PvP:

2x EPtW 1, 2x EPtS 2, 2x EngTeam 3, Extend shields 3.

Load up on 1-2 EPS consoles and not only are you pushing out high DPS, you're fairly resilient AND helpful to your team
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
There is a graphical DPS calculator out there (not sure where I got it) that shows the best effective beams for the buck at 125 power is 5. Going form 5 to 6 you only gained 163 DPS while dropping from 5 to 4 you lost over 400+. With 8 beams you are probably doing less DPS than with 6. I will see if I can dig up the link when I get home.

Because of this I swapped to a 5 array, 1 Dual beam and 1 torp fwd/rear build.

Edit:

The link is actually in th sticky above us in this forum.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=195929
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post

Load up on 1-2 EPS consoles and not only are you pushing out high DPS, you're fairly resilient AND helpful to your team
This is from memory (I'm slacking off for a moment at work, but...)

I run 2xEngteam1, 2x EptW2, 2x EptS3, 1xDEM3
TacTeam1, Faw1, Faw2
HazardEmitters1, SciTeam2.

I DO run a MkXI crafted EPS console, though. Just feels too clunky when I come out of full impulse, otherwise. Don't seem to need much hull healing, since my shields rarely get cracked - any bleedthrough is easily handled after the fight. This is solo on Elite, though I'm sure it gets a LOT harder when teamed.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post

EPS does nothing for normal weapon power recovery, they changed that months ago. it does help with things like recovery from max impulse and Beam Overload.

Edit:

Added link to 1.2 changes

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=160617
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakner View Post
There is a graphical DPS calculator out there (not sure where I got it) that shows the best effective beams for the buck at 125 power is 5. Going form 5 to 6 you only gained 163 DPS while dropping from 5 to 4 you lost over 400+. With 8 beams you are probably doing less DPS than with 6. I will see if I can dig up the link when I get home.

Because of this I swapped to a 5 array, 1 Dual beam and 1 torp fwd/rear build.

Edit:

The link is actually in th sticky above us in this forum.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=195929
I saw that earlier - that very well written post is what inspired me to try 8 beams; you can see from his chart at 125 power that there's still a DPS gain for each beam: http://members.cox.net/nagorak/stoweaponscaling125.jpg

EDIT: That said, the different between 7 and 8 isn't THAT profound, though i think the interaction with my skills and consoles would still nudge that last beam to greater damage than, say, a Hargh'Peng fired at the beginning of a fight, before I just broadside/orbit. It's something for me to think about, at least.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakner View Post
EPS does nothing for normal weapon power recovery, they changed that months ago. it does help with things like recovery from max impulse and Beam Overload.
Theoretically, yes. However, in practice, it does still help with the power drain. Especially when you have a large amount of power drain at once. It shouldn't help, but it still does. Not as much as it used to in the past, but it's still enough to be noticable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreal View Post

TacTeam1, Faw1, Faw2

I DO run a MkXI crafted EPS console, though. Just feels too clunky when I come out of full impulse, otherwise. Don't seem to need much hull healing, since my shields rarely get cracked - any bleedthrough is easily handled after the fight. This is solo on Elite, though I'm sure it gets a LOT harder when teamed.
EPtS 3 works fine... but most people I know refer to it as Emergency Power to Boring 3. :p
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Quote:

TacTeam1, Faw1, Faw2

I found EP:S III sort of sucked even fully skilled itís only good for 2500k, I use it paired for the constant +30 shield buff though. My main shield heal is Sci TSS II / Tac Team combo, with a 95 Aux and fully skilled it is good for 1000 initial and 300/s for 15s. The 95 Aux is also is good for Hazzard Emitters and AuxtoStruc which heals for 12k per 45s and 6k per 15s respectively.

My final power setting on an eng/assault cruiser is

106 (2x EP:W I so 125 )
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Hm. I shall have to give that a try, see what my numbers look like. So, in theory, with my EPW2 giving 33 power or so, I could park my weapon power at 105 and still see optimal 8 beam DPS? That'd free up a lot for shields, or even Engines! Darn my Sovvie's turn rate to heck.

Edited to Add: While I'm at it, does FAW drain energy faster? It seems to, but I couldn't tell if each extra shot added weapon drain - Against a single Borg Cube with FAW2, I couldn't quite tell. I might have to actually put Nadion Inversion on my skillbar, though!
Why would you not use nadion inversion? Its one of the best ways to drive your damage up on a weapon volley, by mitigating the drain per shot.