Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
09-07-2011, 11:53 PM
I look at all shield arrays for what they are. Borg shields are regenerative. Regardless of those special procs unless your running at a decent shield power level I don't think they will help you in the long run. That's what covarients are for. My cruiser shields power hover in the high 70's low 80"s when my weapons are at 125. I can comfortably drop my weapons power a few notches to get my shields at 100 power level. In that regard regenerative makes a little more sense. A tac escort at 125 weapons power is gonna see average around 60 and a higher shield capacity is going to make more sense. Breen shields are resilliant middle of the road capacitly and unless your fighting MT and his polarons might as well not even bother. Breen engines are nice for escorts because of the +7.5 engine power bonus. They are combat and are efficient at lower power levels so cruisers actually get better results from Aegis which is hyper impulse and efficient at higher power levels.. Soooo my set right now on my cruiser is borg shields, Aegis engines and breen deflector. Good for an agile Excelsior
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
09-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Borg shields? On a cruiser? Only really worth it if you're team is deficient in shield healing imho. They're better used on science ships, and should never be used on escorts.

Capacity is more important now with the prevalence of CPB and Spread.
I am not sure that is true anymore. Covariants were nerfed, after all.

The "old" problem of Regenerative Shields was that it took about 40 seconds or so for the shield to have gained so much from regeneration that it could make up for the capacity difference via the regeneration. Now the time to achieve that is shorter, and it might be so short enough to actually count even in a spike damage situation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
09-08-2011, 02:08 AM
My favorite target as shield stripping Tric bomber are Escorts. If they don't get help from someone nor have a Cov shield they are usually on the brink of death. Sadly most of the time they still survive because I'm lacking the bit more firepower needed for a kill. That is until my Tric crits.

This is also why Escorts are my best friends.


By the way is it just me or did the change Trics? It seems they no longer vanish when the target gets destroyed before hitting but explode where the target has been.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
09-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Borg shields? On a cruiser? Only really worth it if you're team is deficient in shield healing imho. They're better used on science ships, and should never be used on escorts.

Capacity is more important now with the prevalence of CPB and Spread.
That's right. Now, when almost on every PVP match we have to deal with SCI shield strippers using CPB 3, TB 3 or fleet of 3 or 4 TAC captains in Defiants with alpha, beam overload / target shields & torpedo spread 3,2 and 1, high capacity of shields on cruiser is the most imortant issue.
Personally I think Borg engines + deflector + Cov Cap 3 shields are still best option for engy cruisers. With EPtS 3 and 2 + TT 1 or 2 shields still can regenerate very quickly.
I don't use Borg shields on any of my escorts / raiders but I know few players using all Borg set on their escorts and they are tough to kill.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
09-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Before the Covariants were nerfed I always used 3 Borg parts plus a Cov3cap, then I tried the Borg shield together the Aegis deflector and of course also the Borg engine and console. I changed one of the two neutronium armors with a +13% regen console, keeping the RCS and the FG ones. Well, seems to me the Borg shield maintaining 125 shield power resists very good, but in case of heavy focusing fire it drops too fast and I've to run away at once otherwise my hull will melt like an ice cream under the Sun without the second neutronium. So to continue fighting a little more I had to replace a DEM2 with a RSP2. Now I'm testing a Regen with damage resist mods and it works fine...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
09-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am not sure that is true anymore. Covariants were nerfed, after all.

The "old" problem of Regenerative Shields was that it took about 40 seconds or so for the shield to have gained so much from regeneration that it could make up for the capacity difference via the regeneration. Now the time to achieve that is shorter, and it might be so short enough to actually count even in a spike damage situation.
with tac team up this does seem to be the case, especially when your shield power is hovering at 118 to 123. I just put the borg regens on my Scort last night, I've lost more hull through bleedthrough damage than I have through a shield being bombarded down so far. (by the way 118 is with me running full 100 power to my Mav Cannons :p 123 or so with running /95 in them )

I didn't realize just how spoiled I've gotten on Resilient a few times last night I had to ask for hull heals because I noticed my hull was hovering around 65 percent despite shields never being cracked. Which leads me to being curious about Resilient Regen 3s.

There's almost no reason to use Covariant now, since the gap between Resilient and them is considerably lower.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
09-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Hard to justify regen shields based on the math, although shield stripping might actually increase their value (at least they come back.)

Also, you are more likely to have a sliver of shields back when torpocalypse hits.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
09-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekfan View Post
. With EPtS 3 and 2 + TT 1 or 2 shields still can regenerate very quickly.
I don't use Borg shields on any of my escorts / raiders but I know few players using all Borg set on their escorts and they are tough to kill.
And with these powers, you can recover shields even faster with the Borg Set.

I have been using regen shields since the game has launched and it has been wonderfully effective.

The thing about regen shields is that they are extremely high maintenance. To really use them successfully, you have to be on top of them at all times. This means you have to balance them, shift to a certain facing and everything needed to keep all that great regen happening on all facings going to where you need it.

Personally I don't mind how much work they entail, because the results have been infinately more valuable than any covariant shield. Frankly I would use resilient shields before I would use Covariant. I Certainly hope that one of the new sets offers this kind of option as well.

It would be a hard choice for me to choice between resilient and regen... but an easy choice to stay away from covariant.

If you are in a fight longer than 40 seconds ( and typically I am in a fight for minutes at a time ) the regen shield is worth more overall shields than the covarient can ever achieve. Maintaining high shield resist through EPtS and other abilities, along with high shield power for regen.. these shields are a powerhouse.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
09-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
And with these powers, you can recover shields even faster with the Borg Set.

I have been using regen shields since the game has launched and it has been wonderfully effective.

The thing about regen shields is that they are extremely high maintenance. To really use them successfully, you have to be on top of them at all times. This means you have to balance them, shift to a certain facing and everything needed to keep all that great regen happening on all facings going to where you need it.

Personally I don't mind how much work they entail, because the results have been infinately more valuable than any covariant shield. Frankly I would use resilient shields before I would use Covariant. I Certainly hope that one of the new sets offers this kind of option as well.

It would be a hard choice for me to choice between resilient and regen... but an easy choice to stay away from covariant.

If you are in a fight longer than 40 seconds ( and typically I am in a fight for minutes at a time ) the regen shield is worth more overall shields than the covarient can ever achieve. Maintaining high shield resist through EPtS and other abilities, along with high shield power for regen.. these shields are a powerhouse.
I still think that covariants Cap 3 are better for me because higher capacity gives me certainty that I will survive strong Alpha(s) with stun (especially attack after decloak). Can you say the same about Borg shields?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
09-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekfan View Post
I still think that covariants Cap 3 are better for me because higher capacity gives me certainty that I will survive strong Alpha(s) with stun (especially attack after decloak). Can you say the same about Borg shields?
Yes, I can.

I do all the time.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.