Lt. Commander
This is partially a request for advice and partially a wish, because this seems to be one of the foundry's limitations.

Say if I am creating a mission for a Starfleet player, it would be really nice if I could spawn a group of friendly Klingons that actually use Klingon weapons, instead of having to re-costume a starfleet squad that fires phasers…after all part of the spirit of Trek is to have former enemies work as allies, and there were at least 25 years of teamwork between the Klingons and the Feds in the TNG era – not to mention countless situations where a good story needs to have Klingons, Gorns, Naussis or Cardies working WITH you.

Also, when authors get reviews (I am guilty of this myself) the reviewers often point out that ‘the klingon ships are firing phasers, that’s stupid!’ Indeed it is….

If anyone has a way of working around this would be great to know!
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-07-2011, 07:32 PM
There is no work around. You'd think it would be fairly straightforward to set a check box that sets the species to friendly, neutral or hostile, but it doesn't seem like Foundry improvements get much priority.

Edit: The one thing you can do is you can put invisible walls separating the player from the enemies and then place two different factions (ex: Klingon Allied vs True Way) and they'll fight each other, without being able to attack the player. However, they'll both be shown as enemies to the player, and if the player gets around the invisible wall somehow then they'll attack him.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugeyewalker View Post
Also, when authors get reviews (I am guilty of this myself) the reviewers often point out that ‘the klingon ships are firing phasers, that’s stupid!’ Indeed it is…
More stupid are the reviewers who say things like this.

There are many limitations in the foundry, things like the warp in animation loop and these make things awkward, but I'm sure features to resolve and support things like this will be added over time. After all, the Foundry is still in development stages.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Back in the day Klingon Disruptors were phaser orange anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrus View Post
Back in the day Klingon Disruptors were phaser orange anyway.
I cannot recall them ever being orange - I have seen red ones however, but never orange.