Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 131
09-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRtrek View Post
Is there enough of a difference between Silver and Gold memberships to make it worth the cost of a monthly subscription?

I have been a loyal monthly subscriber for well over a year and had planned on continuing to pay or even upgrade to a lifetime subscription when the F2P announcement was made. Unfortunately, I feel there is not enough incentive to continue paying to play. I believe the monthly stipend needs to be increased substantially or the monthly fees need to be decreased. I love this game and would like to continue to support it financially but i don't feel there is any substantial reason to do so if I can get the same content for free.
I agree with this,it sticks too close to the C.O Model while STO Gameplay allows a more,much more elaborated Differentiation scheme..Think about it twice before you open the Gate,There is no way back.
IMO,the rule of thumb is:If doesn't affect the gameplay at some point,It makes no difference.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 132
09-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Quote:
The difference is lifers paid upfront. Showing their backing, bringing the extra capital to cryptic to keep improving the game.
that is not a difference. you paid the same amount as everyone else and then expect special treatment.

Quote:
Also, how do you figure it's "considerably less"
Well, I can tell you, I've spent at least twice that in the cstore, so again, we've both contributed to this game.[/quote]

I am referring to subscription fees, therefore your argument is invalid. if you can't see how a lifetime subscriber is only required to pay at most $300 and therefore will pay considerably fewer sub fees over the life of the game you need to take another look.

Quote:
You fence-sitters, er.. monthly subscribers, decided to pay as you go
so you resort to insults and 'yay i'm better than you because I paid $300 up front!!' elitism. it doesn't help your case.

Quote:
its not a lie please learn the meaning of the word before you use it.

and 2nd untill they deny or confirm its the truth or at least lingo balance.
no it was a lie. as others have already told you in several other posts. even if liberated borg are being made available to others that does not mean you are losing them. you still have the same ability to create one. hence you have lost nothing.

Quote:
we will lose some of the benefits of life memberships.
the benefit of the lifetime membership is never paying again. and you still aren't losing anything.

Quote:
Lifers may not lose anything but what concerns me is that they don't gain anything subtantial either. At present there is nothing to demonstrate their value or reward their loyalty for spending such a premium for this game, which has ultimately helped lead it to this financially beneficial point for Cryptic.
they aren't supposed to gain anything substantial. a lifetime membership is a lifetime membership. thats the purpose behind buying it

Quote:
It seems like a stupid question, but seriously, my main horror is the new "clientele" that F2P always brings in.
I see alot of people claim this despite the fact it has no basis in reality

Quote:
Will Lifetime subscribers retain the ability to create a New Liberated Borg, or will they have to follow the as stated route of "earned thru other means" after F2P changes?
current users keep what they already have. liberated borg characters are not removed from lifetime accounts. this has already been made clear

Quote:
Silvers should be an unlimited mission content demo with C-Store access
no, because by its very concept that is not free to play. free to play makes more money than subscriptions from microtransaction sales, therefore its in the best interest of cryptic leave silvers as they are to attract more people. more people = more transactions = more money. its the whole 'it takes money to make money' concept
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 133
09-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Any chance that you guys can make the feedback board available to free players? Or at least retail key but no active subscription players?

As you might have noticed, the Free to Play feedback board is extremely one sided and only provides feedback from the angle of people who are subscribed when a free to play model is supposed to support both subscribers and free players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 134
09-09-2011, 12:07 AM
No need to cut from Silver,just add to Gold.The whole MMO buisness is about Buff and DeBuff right?
So nothing special here:-Subs would be presented as an Elite Group within the Federation or whatever,a "Mini Faction" that has received a special training Bla Bla Bla...and get unique abilities such as:
Stats Modifier +20%
-Universal Weapon Augmentation::+ 20% Crit Severity
+ 20% Crit Rate
-+ 20 to your score anytime you roll the dice.
Now whether these modifiers apply in PvP or not,that's a diiferent story,I'd say yes,but it's questionable .
Again those are just Buffs,whether you want them or not,it's up to you,but THAT,would actually make a Difference Ingame.Now if ppl are right and Subs don't add anything in a F2P model,K then....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 135
09-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Miss_Vivienne
Any chance that you guys can make the feedback board available to free players? Or at least retail key but no active subscription players?

As you might have noticed, the Free to Play feedback board is extremely one sided and only provides feedback from the angle of people who are subscribed when a free to play model is supposed to support both subscribers and free players.
If Silvers buy something in the C-Store, play for a total of 20 hours, or sub for a month, then chat, forums and fleet creation access all get unlocked.

I have no problem with how Silver accounts will be set up, other than maybe restrict the right to rate Foundry missions until certain criteria be met.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 136
09-09-2011, 06:50 AM
At the moment, there isn't much of an incentive to stay subbed beyond my character slots and extra bag space. Both of these could be resolved in my first month or two of going F2P simply by spending my 10 per month in the c-store instead of on my subscription.

I've seen some good suggestions in here to make the subscription side of things a bit more attractive:

An extra couple of character slots would be good. Maybe 5 in total, plus whatever extras you get from LTS or vet rewards.
Extra races/costumes. Have them in the c-store for silver members, but allow them in-game for gold members.
Extra c-store stipend. 400 points per month just doesn't seem much when I could get 1200 for the same amount of cash, and the other rewards just don't seem to make it worth it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 137
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsington
From what I understand, they will still be selling Subs and LTS even after F2P starts. (Correct me if I am wrong on this point)

Other than the Cryptic Points being offered to Subs and LTS, it seems that F2P'ers will have access to almost everything in game in one way or another.

If that is the case, why is it worth being a Sub'er or LTS?

If they still want to sell subscriptions, then they have to make them stand out so much that people would be encouraged to purchase them. If players can basically get the same thing through buying Cryptic Points, then what is the purpose of still providing subs?

In the long-term, after going F2P, I have no problem with anyone gaining access to everything in-game regardless of sub status. However, for the short term, there almost needs be two or three distinct classes of players. I am not suggesting game-breaking differences, but something more than a Liberated Borg BO and Points.
The biggest thing I've seen touted in interviews is the lack of silvers having access to creating Foundry missions. From people I've talked to and from the massive amount of content generated in the Foundry from users, that is a big portion of STO right now. Silvers can play, but Cryptic is hoping that once silvers play some of the Foundry content, they will want to create their own. And to do so, they have to subscribe. That is probably the biggest catch in all of this. As a father of 3 young kids who works 40 hours a week, I myself haven't had time to create anything, but its a nice option if I ever get an idea. There may be some silver players who have ideas and decided to pay $15 a month to write missions. I do agree, that maybe another 1 or two character slots or more "free" costumes for subscribers would be a bonus, but I think the Foundry is really what Cryptic is banking on enticing people to pay up. That and the micro-transactions in the c-store. On a side note, if "gold" people are going to play this game more than 20 months, you may as well cough up the $300 for LTS. I knew I would play on and off forever, so I bit the bullet and paid up. Because once you get to month 21, you will then have paid more than the LTS. I think I played monthly for about 4 months and then signed up for LTS. Just makes more sense in the long run.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 138
09-09-2011, 05:31 PM
I see a lot of questions but no answers so far. All my major questions have been asked by others already in this thread so I see no need to re ask them but i would appreciate some answers since this is a Q&A started by a dev.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 139
09-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshi View Post
If Silvers buy something in the C-Store, play for a total of 20 hours, or sub for a month, then chat, forums and fleet creation access all get unlocked.

I have no problem with how Silver accounts will be set up, other than maybe restrict the right to rate Foundry missions until certain criteria be met.
I know that. And I know I won't be affected when we do go free to play.

But I mean BEFORE we go Free to Play so that potential free players can pitch in their ideas and feedback before launch.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 140
09-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianhua
Will life time subscribers lose their unique liberated Borg captains once STO goes FTP? I have heard people mention that it will be placed in the C store as a species purchase.
Nope, From what I been reading from the Devs elswhere, Liberated Borg will still be "Exclusive" to Lifetime members only, the "Other Means" they were refering to in the case of Liberated Borg was for Lifetime Subscribers.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 AM.