Lt. Commander
# 11
09-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout View Post
a litte STO history.... In Beta flying in reverse was the most common tactic in combat.... it's why they added the drains.....
Interesting. Could you explain a bit more what was idea behind this tactic? I came in much later because of awful first reviews STO got after launch.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoteus View Post
Interesting. Could you explain a bit more what was idea behind this tactic? I came in much later because of awful first reviews STO got after launch.
basically, you park your ship at 10km, start shooting, and hit reverse. its the STO space version of "Kiting". by going in reverse, you stay far away, which against some enemies that use cannons means they dont do as much damage. thyat and being that far away guarantee's that your targets going to be within torpedo firing arcs.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Quote:
It is also used in PvP, often with a speed buff, to postion your ship for an attack in a "dogfight".
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-09-2011, 10:09 AM
The mechanic as it is now is dumb. You can maneuver better in reverse because the most of the ships have their turn axis more rearward oriented instead of center with modifiers.

STO now

Rear-----------TA---------------------front

the way it should be

rear-----------TA-----------Front

Also ships should not be able to maneuver better in reverse than forward.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
From the annals of STO Closed Beta

I was in the first group of players in the STO Closed Beta. Early in closed beta pace combat balance hadn't been tweaked yet. Combat difficulty was even beyond the Elite Difficulty setting in the game today. Combined with being limited to the starter Miranda Class ship combating Klingon Ships was difficult even for experienced player and would have been insanely difficulty for a new/causal player. Team play was better, but still difficult. And that's no exaggeration. I remember dreading fighting a wing of Klingon Birds-of-Prey. There were very difficulty to fighting especially when they gain Cloaking in the later grades of Lt. Fighting a Negh'Var or Rator was easier but not by much. Fighting 3 BoP was a long fight for your life, having to use every trick and tactic you knew to keep from being defeated. And felling extremely proud of yourself surviving by the skin of your teeth. And it was way every time, I went up against 3 BoP, And early missions where having to defeat 9 or more enemy groups.

The fighting backwards tactic came about from the "Researcher Rescue". At the end you have to take out Gorn Battleship to rescue the Researchers. As I previously mentioned combat was extremely difficulty. Well the Gorn Battleship was insaely difficulty even for experience player. And (nearly) impossible for a lone new player. Player stumped upon the tactic of flying in reverse when fighting the Gorn Battleship. It kept the Battleship at distance avoiding the mines (which did a huge amount of damage back then as compared to today) and Warp Plasma Cloud. And it kept you forward Torpedo Launcher pointed towards the Batteship as well. It turned out fo be much easier fight the Battleship. My score vs the Gorn Battleship before using that ttactic was Gorn 4, Me 1.