Lt. Commander
# 21
09-08-2011, 04:13 AM
I agree with the OP. My main Char is a sci and prior to season 4 i loved the ground combat, but now it's over so quick that i don't have a chance to use much of my kits. And on top of that i'm a lot more squishy since season 4 so i get wiped out pretty damn quick. They nerfed the shields but didn't increase the heals to compensate.

In addition i've noticed that you can either spec for ground or spec for space, there's not enough experience to decently spec for both.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecat69
I agree with the OP. My main Char is a sci and prior to season 4 i loved the ground combat, but now it's over so quick that i don't have a chance to use much of my kits. And on top of that i'm a lot more squishy since season 4 so i get wiped out pretty damn quick. They nerfed the shields but didn't increase the heals to compensate.

In addition i've noticed that you can either spec for ground or spec for space, there's not enough experience to decently spec for both.
Which kit do you use? I've noticed that if I play solo PvE then I pretty much have to use the Medic or Borg Medical Analyser kit; the aggressive Science skills just don't deal enough damage to compensate for the lost heals but they are effective CC kits. Unfortunately a solo Science officer doesn't have the firepower to capitalise on the debuffs so it tends to go badly if you don't get lucky with the exploits*. Using a medic kit however it's highly unlikely that a Science officer will be defeated in PvE as they can heal and mitigate so much of the incoming damage that without the intelligence of another player it's very difficult to crack the heal cycle.
As for the reduced HP, the NPC HP was also (mostly) reduced with the exception of the Captain level NPCs who I believe had a slight increase so as to turn them into 'mini bosses'.
On the skill points issue it's actually easier (IMO) for a Sci to ground spec and have an acceptable space setup than it is for a tactical officer. Science can easily get away with no points in any T4 or T5 ground skills whereas a Tac has to take at least Advanced Warfare (for Target Optics) which is a T5 skill. With this setup I'd never go into a Space arena or C&H but I can easily hold my own on the ground (PvE and PvP) and still be useful in the space sections of STFs.
I suspect it's more a difference in playstyle though as I prefer the faster combat of S4 over the slower (but still a lot of fun) combat pre S4. Now if only the UI would keep up with the increased speed I'd be happy.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I use the Borg kit that I picked up from 'the cure'. When solo playing I rarely use the heals as combat is just to quick I.e. shields nerfed and heals take too long, they should be quicker now that combat is deadly. In the stf's though I feel in ground combat I get wiped out first. The kits don't really do much anymore, they take too long to activate and the enemies are wiped out before the kits have a great affect and I can't do that much damage.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-09-2011, 11:53 AM
The STFs are a little odd at the moment in that they're stupidly easy (as you've probably noticed) but I can't say I've noticed the Borg medic kit being particularly weak, it's probably the best of all the Science kits. My only complaint about ground Sci is that the heals are on fairly lengthy cooldown timers so they aren't available as often as I'd like for healing others; this invariably means I end up healing myself and just ressing others as they go down in STFs as it's quicker than a team respawn. But I can understand this as in PvP a Sci with a medic kit is a nightmare to take down if they only heal themselves, with shorter cooldown's they'd be impossible.
The thing I've noticed with the kits however is that they work very well if you use them to mitigate the damage rather than healing. If i'm going to be taking a lot of punishment, or a team mate is I'll hit them with NHM and VR as they go in so they have a HoT (with DR buff) and a flash heal (NHM also grants a short DR buff) if they take a big hit whilst having MT as a backup for if they or me need a quick top up. Combined with [Cap] [Reg] shields (I like the shield from Skirmish, but I'm lazy and never switch equipment) and Polyalloy Armour I can be a nightmare to take down; against another player a Tac will struggle if he doesn't get the kill quickly, in STFs only the one shotting Elite Heavy Tac drones get me usually.
Something else to consider is use of cover. I rarely stray far from something I can hide behind and even when I do I'll have my next hiding place lined up. The cover system is very simple (basically it's LoS) but it really helps to keep you up, especially if you're being fired on from multiple NPCs as they aren't smart enough to draw you out.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Wow you must be playing a different game than me.

My Sci kills way faster and way safer than my Engineer or KDF Tac. The Physicist kit combined with multiple tricorders is just rude and honestly should be nerfed. Grav, Tricorder, Exo, Radiation then 5 x Exploit weapons = dead with very little damage to me. If you have 2 other Sci BOffs with you change that to 3xGrav, 3xTricorder, Exo, 3x Radiation then 5 x Exploit = dead in 5 seconds. I only have Med Tricorder II on one BOff and 2 x Shield recharge and still donít have any down time.

The huge difference here is the 10+ sources of 10% expose you are flinging, if you run 5 x exploit weapons things die so fast on elite its not funny.

Edit: One facter you all seem to miss is that even if you have a 400 damage mortar or grenade you very rairly hit more than 2 or 3 things. With the grav > tri > exo > Rad combo I usually hit them all and they all just stand there and roast a horrible death. I have never had to do more than one application on any group.