Lt. Commander
# 1 The Limitations List.
09-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Hello Foundry-Veterans.

I am thinking of giving the Foundry a try and have started to plan out my story but I was wondering if there is a forum post or list somewhere with the limitation of the foundry per mission and overall.

For example:

Number of Maps per Mission allowed?

Number of Items on a Map allowed?

Number of Foundry Missions you can make?

Number of Triggers allowed in a mission?

etc. etc.

If I know these things it would make planning a little bit easier. Can anyone help me or point me in the right directions?

Thank you in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-08-2011, 06:32 AM
I've been working on my mission for months and I've managed to hit pretty much all the limits (not exaggerating, I've hit detail, building, contact, costume, map, enemy), so I can help out.

Number of Maps per Mission allowed?

Number of Items on a Map allowed?
I've managed to hit the detail limit, but I'm not sure of the exact number. I'm thinking 250, but that could very well be wrong. It's definitely over 100. I'd really have to count in order to tell you for sure (needless to say I don't really want to have to count, since it is so high). The limit is pretty high, but if you build a custom level you can manage to hit it (it really sucks when you do!). By that I mean if you build a level from scratch using the wall objects and then filling all the rooms with consoles. If you don't do that, then I don't think you'll be in danger of hitting the limit.

Note that on ground maps (not interior) the buildings have a separate limit. The building limit is a lot lower than the detail limit, but most of the building objects are larger. Some things, like building blocks, are listed under both, so you can also use that as a trick to "transfer" some details to the building limit or vice versa.

Number of Foundry Missions you can make?

Number of Triggers allowed in a mission?
I don't think there's a limit, or at least I have not hit it. I use a hell of a lot of triggers in some maps, so I think it's safe to say there's no hard limit on triggers. If there is, if I haven't hit it, I pretty much guarantee you will not. Now, if you have way too many things trigger off of one event, it might take a while for them all to appear.

Costume Limit

Contact Limit

One little trick if you need more "filler" NPCs just walking around but don't need to interact with them (for example to fill a town), is to use enemy groups either of Federation or Neutral targs (depending if you want them to fight or not). Provided you don't have any actual combat encounters, you can get about 175 more NPCs that way if you use the CMD 04 groups.

Enemy Limit

Dialogue Limit
Pretty sure there isn't one, or I guarantee I'd have hit it.

Story Limit
There is one, but I don't know the exact number. I think it only counts objectives and not dialogue pop ups placed in the story, but I'm not entirely sure. The number is pretty high, so if you hit the story limit it's probably a good indication that you need to split your mission into two halves, which is what I did.

I can check the contact limit and enemy limit this evening when the server is back up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Thank you! That information really does help ALOT. Prinitng that now as a reference.

So 8 missions is the max amount you can make? Any way of increasing that when you got like 8 published?
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I verified that both the contact and enemy limits are both 25.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Missions: 8
Maps per mission: 10
Contacts per map: 25
NPC groups per map: 25
Dialog Tree limit: none (but after about 20 or so they go wonky)
Characters per button in a pane: 50
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-09-2011, 04:48 AM
The mission limit is a real shame. One look over at the modding sections of games like Fallout & Oblivion and it's clear that there are plenty of people (myself included) who, given the option, would spend more time making stuff in the Foundry than actually playing the game.

Yet once you hit that limit, the Foundry becomes pointless to the subscriber. Any further projects they could ever create never come to be.

Asimov would turn over in his grave.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinistarOne
The mission limit is a real shame. One look over at the modding sections of games like Fallout & Oblivion and it's clear that there are plenty of people (myself included) who, given the option, would spend more time making stuff in the Foundry than actually playing the game.

I can understand the limit on projects. There are already tons of completely pointless crap missions out there...a misson limit per person at least keeps a particular bafoon from putting trash up....

I would think that Cryptic might make additional mission slots something you could purchase - or expand those slots in some way for payng players vs free-to-play when the free-to-play option is available.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Or allow additional slots to open up for free if you reach a certain number of ratings points via reviews. Say 100 total stars, combined, from all reviews would open up another slot.

That would allow & encourage people to produce quality missions, yes?
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks everyone. The Info makes my mission planning more realistic to the capabilities of the foundry tool.