Lt. Commander
# 21
09-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcc42 View Post
Running three monitors isnt too dificult any more, either with nVidia or AMD/ATI. But I wouldnt recomend doing it with a card more then a couple of generations old as running on three screens means rendering and filtering 3 times as many pixels, which can be hard work for your gpu if you dont want to drop your graphics settings.

If you use the AMD/ATI solution its posible to run three monitors off one card, but you need a card with two DVI out ports and one HDMI out, and a small adaptor to turn that into another DVI for the third monitor.

If you go with nVidia you need to use two cards running in SLI. But to be honest i would recomend two cards with AMD/ATI as well just because your going to need the extra hourspower to run games on high settings at a decent resolution.

Personaly I use three Geforce 580 3GB cards, but you could get performance thats almost as good with two mid level cards of the current generation at far less cost. One thing to remember though when selecting a card for three monitors is that your going to need more v-ram then you would normaly, so when choosing between on card ram and clockspeed go with the RAM.
Thanks for the info!
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Indeed, I have one good card, nothing amazing but I kinda wanted to throw sto up on another screen, might wait for a better card and or screens
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-13-2011, 05:06 PM
That's all great information. Most of which I already knew. I'm glad it's helped someone tho.
I'm glad that it's doable with 3 monitors and the driver / hardware capabilities of the Newer($$$) cards.
My point here is it's doable with out having 2 vid cards, or extra driver goodness. I've seen what I'm looking for in other games and those games supported it out of box on OLD hardware to say the least.
I'm no DEV and haven't the slightest clue of how much work it would take to support another monitor for what I'll call Play space.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurga
That's all great information. Most of which I already knew. I'm glad it's helped someone tho.
I'm glad that it's doable with 3 monitors and the driver / hardware capabilities of the Newer($$$) cards.
My point here is it's doable with out having 2 vid cards, or extra driver goodness. I've seen what I'm looking for in other games and those games supported it out of box on OLD hardware to say the least.
I'm no DEV and haven't the slightest clue of how much work it would take to support another monitor for what I'll call Play space.
Its true that native multi-monitor support for two monitors with one older card would be doable if the devs dedicated it to 2D purposes, such as chat, map and menus. If they extended the current rendering space across the both of them and modified the view port accordingly I dont think their engine is well optimized enough. Certainly other game engines could do it, but this one I donít think so. Why not? Because STO is the only game I can think of with an option to half idle your GPU just to keep your system running cool. That tells me that the program canít afford the overhead of running checks on its performance and regulating itself. Also even with 42 120mm fans in my custom built computer case my three 580s overheat and shut my machine down if this option isnít checked. No other game can shut down my monster system.

So why donít they go the one monitor 2D one monitor 3D root? Well I would imagine it comes down to investment verses return. Itís going to take three different fields of expertise so probably three different people would have to be assigned to it. You need a 2D artist for the interface. A programmer with experience working with the game at engine level, and a higher level programmer to connect the work of the other two.

Those are all people who could be working on things that would help retain existing customers, like bug fixing and polishing, or bring in new customers like creating new content.

Supporting three monitors is easy as all heck, just give us an automatically adjusted FOV and the ability to re-arrange our interface and all the hard work is already done by the GPU driver engineers.

Two monitors could in theory get by with the same except it places a big old block down the middle of the view so cryptic has to actually do some work themselves to support it. However doing so would create a lot of problems for cryptic. Specifically it would result in a lot more unhappy customers.

You see there are a lot of people who do have a 2nd monitor hanging around, for one reason or another, and once they read that two monitors are supported they are going to rearrange their gaming area to fit them both on the same desk, and then get mad because their frame rate is cut in half. So they will go out and buy a more powerful GPU or a second one, and then they will get mad because their computer is overheating, or their PSU isnít supplying enough stable power making their whole system unstable. Before they know it they have spent a lot more money than they planned, or they have gone back to a single screen, either way they arenít happy. Most likely they donít know why things have gone wrong so they just blame cryptic.

People running three monitors are, by and large, enthusiasts who have either built their own system or paid far too much money for someone else to build them a system designed to run hot and suck power. They arenít going to be filing support tickets or spreading bad word of mouth about STO because they already know the advantages and disadvantages of their choice to waist a huge amount of money. Cryptic donít have to lift an additional finger to support them because nVidia and ATI/AMD have done all the work.

So for cryptic three monitors is an easy win, two monitors is extra work to create a situation that frustrates more of their customers then it benefits.