Lt. Commander
# 11
09-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Dyson Sphere versus a Voth City Ship

Make it happen.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Quick note: A Dyson Sphere is like a planet, it's a home for a culture, not a weapon, it's not mobile, it can't chase after you, so far as we know, other than Tractor Beams (which are used for docking/undocking/entry) it's unarmed.

It's potential lies in that it captures literally 100% of the energy radiated by the star it surrounds. Essentially, without matter/antimatter reactors, without Fusion, without combustion, you could fuel an entire civilization off of the solar power harvested from the star.

Imagine making all electricity so cheap as to be free, now imagine doing that, with technologies like Transporters and Replicators at your disposal.

The danger is if the star gets cranky, and starts throwing out big Flares, or expands to be too big to fit inside the Sphere anymore (as most G-type stars eventually would). Unfortunately, the one Dyson Sphere we've seen in Trek had exactly that problem, the star it enveloped was dangerously unstable.

Now, here's what I propose for Dyson Sphere storyline: Obviously the Federation didn't just forget about it once they'd run across it, and all canon points to it being well inside Federation space. To me, that screams that Starfleet likely has had research and engineering teams crawling on, in, and under that thing for decades now.

It's very likely they've decoded it's computer language, and been researching any files it may have.

Now, because of it's age, and because of the engineering skill required to construct a Dyson Sphere, I can only think of two species in Trek canon capable of constructing such a marvel: the Preservers, or the Voth.

Now, stars tend to hang around for Billions and Billions of years, but the Episode indicated that the Dyston Sphere was Millions of years old.

That puts in the proper time frame for both of them.

However, Preserver technology has been encountered before, and does not seem at all like that of the Dyson Sphere.

I think, if we're to get a Dyson Sphere in STO, it should be the Voth coming back to reclaim what was once theirs. After all, the Voth are territorial towards non-Saurian species, and they are known to have traveled the Galaxy and lost their history, so much so they forgot where their(our) home planet was(is).
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-15-2011, 03:24 AM
I would love a feature episode series focused on the dyson sphere. Episode 1 you find your way in. Episode 2 some kind of humanitarian mission. Episode 3 defend the sphere against a Borg attack (they want the technology). Episode 4 diplomatic mission with the sphere's "new" inhabitants' leaders. Mission 5 defend again.

Or something.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-15-2011, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
Quick note: A Dyson Sphere is like a planet, it's a home for a culture, not a weapon, it's not mobile, it can't chase after you, so far as we know, other than Tractor Beams (which are used for docking/undocking/entry) it's unarmed.

It's potential lies in that it captures literally 100% of the energy radiated by the star it surrounds. Essentially, without matter/antimatter reactors, without Fusion, without combustion, you could fuel an entire civilization off of the solar power harvested from the star.

Imagine making all electricity so cheap as to be free, now imagine doing that, with technologies like Transporters and Replicators at your disposal.

The danger is if the star gets cranky, and starts throwing out big Flares, or expands to be too big to fit inside the Sphere anymore (as most G-type stars eventually would). Unfortunately, the one Dyson Sphere we've seen in Trek had exactly that problem, the star it enveloped was dangerously unstable.

Now, here's what I propose for Dyson Sphere storyline: Obviously the Federation didn't just forget about it once they'd run across it, and all canon points to it being well inside Federation space. To me, that screams that Starfleet likely has had research and engineering teams crawling on, in, and under that thing for decades now.

It's very likely they've decoded it's computer language, and been researching any files it may have.

Now, because of it's age, and because of the engineering skill required to construct a Dyson Sphere, I can only think of two species in Trek canon capable of constructing such a marvel: the Preservers, or the Voth.

Now, stars tend to hang around for Billions and Billions of years, but the Episode indicated that the Dyston Sphere was Millions of years old.

That puts in the proper time frame for both of them.

However, Preserver technology has been encountered before, and does not seem at all like that of the Dyson Sphere.

I think, if we're to get a Dyson Sphere in STO, it should be the Voth coming back to reclaim what was once theirs. After all, the Voth are territorial towards non-Saurian species, and they are known to have traveled the Galaxy and lost their history, so much so they forgot where their(our) home planet was(is).
The Dyson sphere we have seen in the show blew up because her sun was about to go Nova.
There wouldn't be anything left.
You did btw forget a third and 4th canon species able to build a dyson sphere: The Borg(almost certainly), and the machine race who upgrades V'ger.
The timeframe doesn't fit for the preservers btw, as they were the first intelligent lifeform ever, yet the Voth have evolved from dinosaurs of the meozoic era, and the preservers where there before the Voth. Therefore neither of them could have built it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Dracon_Darknight View Post
The Dyson sphere we have seen in the show blew up because her sun was about to go Nova.
There wouldn't be anything left.
You did btw forget a third and 4th canon species able to build a dyson sphere: The Borg(almost certainly), and the machine race who upgrades V'ger.
The timeframe doesn't fit for the preservers btw, as they were the first intelligent lifeform ever, yet the Voth have evolved from dinosaurs of the meozoic era, and the preservers where there before the Voth. Therefore neither of them could have built it.
he star the Dyson sphere was surrounding was unstable, not on the verge of a Nova, it was having radiation spikes and matter ejections (flares). A star can exist in that state for millions of Years. After making my initial post i watched the episode last night.

The Preservers in STO canon saved a group of Native Americans sometime in the last 2 thousand years.

If the Borg were building Dyson spheres, they wouldn't be after Omega, also, the Borg are an expansionist race, the idea of staying in one system around one star utilizing it's power would be.. Inefficient.

The machine race that upgraded V'Ger is pretty much established to be (sorry for the spoiler) the Borg. From Gene Roddenberry's commentary to the V'Ger shaped Borg Command ship in the Red Alerts, it's a safe assumption they're one and the same.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-15-2011, 07:50 AM
(de-cloaks)

There has always been something that bothered me about dyson spheres. The builders would have to consume an ENORMOUS amount of material to construct a sphere. Like several hundred or thousands of star systems worth of raw materials. And thats just a run to the hardware store. Now consider the time it takes to construct something with that square footage. OMG talk about a long production schedule... The star would be dead before you finished with the thing. Cool as hell but completely improbable.

That being said the one that exists in the star trek universe could be saved using the stellar rejuvinator that I saw in some other star trek episode and then we can begin exploring the mysteries of the sphere.

(cloaks)
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresteel
(de-cloaks)

There has always been something that bothered me about dyson spheres. The builders would have to consume an ENORMOUS amount of material to construct a sphere. Like several hundred or thousands of star systems worth of raw materials. And thats just a run to the hardware store. Now consider the time it takes to construct something with that square footage. OMG talk about a long production schedule... The star would be dead before you finished with the thing. Cool as hell but completely improbable.

That being said the one that exists in the star trek universe could be saved using the stellar rejuvinator that I saw in some other star trek episode and then we can begin exploring the mysteries of the sphere.

(cloaks)
I always figured that any culture that got to that level of technological aspiration likely has access to large-scale matter replication abilities, like, fully constructed starship replication, just add Antimatter.

With that, I would imagine they would choose a stable enough star in a planet-rich system devoid of life, then consume the planets Doomsday-device style, rearranging the atomic components of the raw material into premade swaths of Dyson sphere Hull, complete with living quarters and recreational areas on the convex side.

Then, they would tow (or beam) these sections into place around the star. Assuming a large fleet, and a planet heavy system, with the speed of replicator technology, I could see it being over and done with in just a few decades, and probably habitable a good time before that if they construct a ring around the star first and build the hemispheres up from there.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katic View Post
I always figured that any culture that got to that level of technological aspiration likely has access to large-scale matter replication abilities, like, fully constructed starship replication, just add Antimatter.

With that, I would imagine they would choose a stable enough star in a planet-rich system devoid of life, then consume the planets Doomsday-device style, rearranging the atomic components of the raw material into premade swaths of Dyson sphere Hull, complete with living quarters and recreational areas on the convex side.

Then, they would tow (or beam) these sections into place around the star. Assuming a large fleet, and a planet heavy system, with the speed of replicator technology, I could see it being over and done with in just a few decades, and probably habitable a good time before that if they construct a ring around the star first and build the hemispheres up from there.
(de-cloaks)

Precisely what I was thinking... now where'd they get the material for all those replecators.. matter anti matter reacators.. ships... equipment.... planet smasher thingie...and then the manpower to connect the newly fabricated sections of the sphere with the existing ones. Im sure they could self connect but wouldnt you want to run a diagnostic or two on something bran new? I know I would.... so think of the number of technicians it would take to run a diagnostic on every section of a space station that is the size of a small solar system.... A sphere with a radius of one AU would have a surface area of at least 2.72e17 km^2, around 600 million times the surface area of the Earth. That's alot of diagnostics... power for replicators... that's alot of reactors to power the replicators... thats alot of antimatter to power the reactors...etc.

(cloaks)
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Dracon_Darknight View Post
Wasn't the "machine race" that upgraded V'ger merely the Borg's great great great grandfathers? That's how I always understood it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsaris View Post
Wasn't the "machine race" that upgraded V'ger merely the Borg's great great great grandfathers? That's how I always understood it.
Officially we don't know. It's just an assumption that was made by the fans.

Unoffically, yes. Shatner set that up in his ST books. Spock was walking around on a borg ship unaffected by them because he'd been touched by it in ST:I

So since STO borrows so much soft canon from the books, they could easily say it's the case in game.