Lt. Commander
Has anyone else tried running the game on a Gateway FX-7805u?

I have an Nvidia 9800 GTS 1 GB Video card
4 Gb of DDR3
and am running on a 2.8 GHz Dual Core

I am wondering why all videos I see have everything so "shiny" yet all my in game stuff has much less...."luster"
The way I see it , I should be getting more performance, just wondering if anyone knows how to optimize settings on my machine and if they could share any pointers as I love this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-17-2011, 11:27 PM
A 9800 GTS is a grate graphics card if your on a budget, but it is showing its age these days. If your playing ports of console games its got more then enough power to keep things shiny because those games have to be so well optimised to run on console hardware any way.

Games developed soly for the PC tend to not be so well optimized, as is the case with Star trek online. I used a 9800 GTS with 1GB of RAM for a while a year or so ago and could make star trek online look good but not run everything on high.

Try turning off anti-aliasing and shadows and experimenting with raising and lowering other settings untill you find a compromise you can live with. AA and shadows are the big performance hitters in most games so if you can bare to live without them you can usualy afford to spend the performance saved on things that look better.

Without knowing more about your settings and FPS its hard to say exactly what you should change or wether the poor quality your experiancing is normal. It's posible your system is overheating and automaticaly throtteling down componants to keep them cooler. There is an option in the game settings you could try that is intended to reduce the heat your gpu generates.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Ok so I just googled your 'Gateway FX-7805u' and shock horror, its a laptop.

I highly recomend you stop playing STO on it. Why? Well laptops have very low life expectancies because there is simply no way to get desktop level performance out of any peace of hardware without generating desktop levels of heat.

Most desktops are as large as they are to help their components stay cool, the parts in a laptop arnt all that much smaller then you will find in your avrage tower, they just dont have all the empty space sitting around them for airflow.

Manufacturers do one of two things to deal with the issue.

The first way is to artificualy limit the laptops performance. They will either put in place custom firmware or driver software that tells the laptop's components not to run at their full capabilities or they will use cut back versions of the components intel, amd and nvidia design that dont have as many transisters. This would be one explination for why STO isnt running so well as it should be, your hardware isnt running to spec.

The second way is to use higher quality materials that will withstand repeated overheating just long enough for the warenty on the laptop to run out. This is what manufacturers who boast "gaming laptops" in their range usualy do. Of course this still means your system overheats and your performance degrades as a resolt, even before the inevitable day when the whole thing just gives up and refuses to boot windows.

This is why I recomend you dont run STO on your laptop. STO's engine is not well optimised and fully capable of causing high performance but well cooled cards to overheat. Your safer with a low performance card such as the one you have yes, but in a laptop it has no cooling to speek of. It is just a matter of time before you kill your computer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcc42 View Post
I highly recomend you stop playing STO on it. Why? Well laptops have very low life expectancies because there is simply no way to get desktop level performance out of any peace of hardware without generating desktop levels of heat.
I once lost a Dell this way, and while I blame half of that meltdown on Dell's poor manufacturing quality the other half of the fault resides with me for treating my old lappy like a desktop.

Heed the warnings.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-18-2011, 02:03 AM
I run on a laptop from time to time but yeah my primary STO machine is my three month old desktop I built. The best you will ever get is a compromise especially if that laptop is more than a few years old.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-18-2011, 09:28 AM
I play all the time on my workhorse Dell xps M1730 with no problems. 2x9800M GTX sli. I play at 1920x1200 and even though this is coming up on 4 years old soon the game looks great. This thing has 2 fans for the vid cards and 1 for the power supply and I use http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Pr...ad.asp?idx=130

This thread has some screenshots taken from normal gameplay. http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=228987

You may need to raise your detail sliders or make sure the game isn't playing at 1/2 resolution. Good laptops play the game just fine. I'll be going for a new one the end of this year or beginning of the next. I also have a couple desktops, but I use the laptop more.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Heat is not an issue actually, I run at about 56 C. But I was able to change some setting and I am now averaging 58FPS, it was the lighting quality setting I believe that I was looking for.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah the 9800 series still isn't too bad a card. I ran a 9600 in my old rig. Replaced it with a 460 gtx and only noticed a small improvement. Once i got my new mobo, ram and processor I got what i wanted graphically.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Since this is a laptop, I assume you mean a 9800M GTS, which has 64 shader processors making it a lower-clocked brother of the desktop 9600 GT. Overall, that's really not a very powerful graphics chip, but at lower resolutions it should still allow you to max out the game's details.

Google says your laptop has a native screen resolution of 1440x900, which I'd consider moderate-to-high for a laptop. You probably will not be able to max out all of the details in the game, but it should still look good.

When is the last time you updated your graphics driver? Try going to Nvidia's web site and download the latest driver that supports the Geforce 9 series and your operating system. This may not work- sometimes laptops force you to get the driver through the manufacturer. If the Nvidia driver fails to install, search for one on Gateway's site. It won't be as up-to-date as the Nvidia driver would be, though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
Since this is a laptop, I assume you mean a 9800M GTS, which has 64 shader processors making it a lower-clocked brother of the desktop 9600 GT. Overall, that's really not a very powerful graphics chip, but at lower resolutions it should still allow you to max out the game's details.

Google says your laptop has a native screen resolution of 1440x900, which I'd consider moderate-to-high for a laptop. You probably will not be able to max out all of the details in the game, but it should still look good.

When is the last time you updated your graphics driver? Try going to Nvidia's web site and download the latest driver that supports the Geforce 9 series and your operating system. This may not work- sometimes laptops force you to get the driver through the manufacturer. If the Nvidia driver fails to install, search for one on Gateway's site. It won't be as up-to-date as the Nvidia driver would be, though.
I don't think you need to get the driver from the manufacturer any more, Nvidia changed how they do drivers a good while back and everything works off of the same package. My 9800m gtx's always have the latest driver on the Nvidia site. 280.26 is the current one.